Q&A: Andrew Stelter Talks Commitment, U Coaches Reaction, and Recruiting Frank Ragnow

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Andrew Stelter Talks Commitment, U Coaches Reaction, and Recruiting Frank Ragnow

Q&A: Andrew Stelter Talks Gophers Commitment, U Coaches Reaction, and Recruiting Frank Ragnow
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/272404?referrer_id=388419

Andrew Stelter, a 2014 defensive end from Owatonna (MN) High School, became the latest player to commit to Minnesota. He received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last year and was the lone non-senior named to the 2012 Associated Press All-State team.

Stelter led the Huskies to a 12-1 mark, losing in the 5A Prep Bowl title game to Totino-Grace 49-21. GopherHole.com caught up with Stelter Sunday evening to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: Was that main reason that made you decide that Minnesota was where you wanted to play college football?

Andrew Stelter: Just that it is the home state school. Represent my home state on the football field. It will be a great opportunity for me. The second thing is my relationship with the coaching staff. Coach Kill, Coach Phelps, Coach Poore and all those guys. I have a great relationship. Probably, the best that I had with any of the colleges I had contact with.

Gopher Hole: When did you make the decision?

Andrew Stelter: A few weeks ago, I think I decided in my mind that I was going to commit and that was where I was going to play my college ball.

Gopher Hole: How hard was it to keep that from leaking out?

Andrew Stelter: It was tough at times. I told my friends and family beforehand that I was going to commit, a couple days before.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction of your friends and family been?

Andrew Stelter: They were all really excited. My friends threw me a surprise party Saturday when I got back. It was fun. It was nice of them to do. My family was really excited. All my aunts and uncles and cousins contacted me and said that they were proud of him and said congrats.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction of the Gophers coaches?

Andrew Stelter: They were really excited. They were all happy when they found out that I had committed.

Gopher Hole: Does it feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulder with your commitment?

Andrew Stelter: Definitely. Now I can focus on my senior year and have a great year of high school football and get my team into the state championship.

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from any other Gopher recruits since you committed?

Andrew Stelter: I have heard from a couple. I was talking to a couple of them yesterday and they were all excited and I was talking to Galien (Elmore) and he was really happy. I have been talking to him quite a bit the last couple of weeks,

Gopher Hole: It looks like Minnesota is on their way to one of their best recruiting classes that they have had in awhile. Is that the feeling you have and does that get you even more excited about playing at Minnesota?

Andrew Stelter: We have a great class going already. We have me and Jeff (Jones) staying in state already. Hopefully, we can get Frank (Ragnow). He would be a huge pickup. I think that it is going to be a good couple of years when we get playing.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to be making some calls to some kids to try to get them to join you?

Andrew Stelter: Yes. Probably Frank the most. .

Gopher Hole: Have you played against him or seen him play much?

Andrew Stelter: Yes. I actually played against him twice. We opened our season against Chanhassen the last two years. It was fun. .

Gopher Hole: I know you don’t want to give away too many secrets, but what do you see as his strengths as a player?

Andrew Stelter: He is just a really hard worker. He has really solid technique. He has great feet, great hands. He is a pretty good player.

Gopher Hole: You both throw the shot and discus. Is that how you have gotten to know each other better?

Andrew Stelter: Yes. We were in a couple of track meets together and I was talking to him there and just shooting the breeze. It was really fun doing that.

Just for the record, Stelter owned Ragnow head to head.

There was lots of talk when Elmore committed that he would be hard to keep away from Bucky....it appears that is not the case. :clap:

There was lots of talk when Elmore committed that he would be hard to keep away from Bucky....it appears that is not the case. :clap:

No doubt! I don't have the link or anything, but I came across a tweet of his the other day where he was at the same function as Barry Alvarez and said something to the effect of he was debating going up to him and saying "Go Gophers!"

No doubt! I don't have the link or anything, but I came across a tweet of his the other day where he was at the same function as Barry Alvarez and said something to the effect of he was debating going up to him and saying "Go Gophers!"

Now that is my kind of rabble rouser!!!

Top Bottom