Q&A: All Things Ohio Bobcat Football, Frank Solich, and a Rock Fight

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/557111?referrer_id=331171

The Gophers offense has struggled to ignite this season, but Minnesota still finds itself 2-1 heading into the last week of the non-conference schedule. It’s Homecoming for the Gophers and a 3-0 Ohio Bobcat team led by head coach Frank Solich comes to town. GopherHole caught up with Ted Thompson at BobcatAttack.com to lean all things Ohio Bobcat football, and to preview Saturday’s game.
GH: Ohio enters this game 3-0, with three pretty convincing wins so far. What should Gopher fans expect from the Bobcats in this game?
TT: I think Solich's formula is run the ball and play solid defense. It's kind of a cliche, but you won't see the Bobcats abandon the run game. When they've had good teams, that formula has paid off in fourth quarters of games.

GH: It looks like you split time between two QBs pretty evenly. Are they similar style QBs or does one offer the offense something different that the other doesn't have?

TT: One of the quarterbacks, J.D. Sprague, was injured against Marshall and won't play vs. Minnesota. So you will see Derrius Vick. He has been the "starter" in this quarterback tandem the past two years. He has shown the ability to throw accurate deep balls and offers some elusiveness out of the pocket. In 2015, he has made quicker decisions and started games more quickly than in 2014. Durability has been an issue (missed last 3 quarters of Marshall game for example) during his career.

GH: It's hard to believe that Frank Solich has been at Ohio for 11 seasons now. It doesn't feel that long ago that he was at Nebraska. Is he well liked still in Athens?

TT: Still very much liked, although not the same buzz as when he first came to town. He stands 5th on the all-time MAC coaching wins list. Like it seems to be the case with your Coach Kill, Solich has lifted the program but also raised expectations. Bobcat fans haven't seen a MAC Championship in almost 50 years. Solich is only responsible for 10 of those years and has had the Bobcats to the Championship Game 3 times. His 2012 team, after starting the year beating Penn St. and eventually cracking the Top 25, eventually was racked by injuries. That was followed by a head-scratching 2013 season (everyone back from 2012 but wins didn't come) and a rebuilding 2014 campaign.I think Solich sees the next couple of years as his chance to add that MAC Championship to his legacy.

GH: In looking at Ohio's all-time NFL roster list, and All-American's, there aren't a lot of notable names that stick out. Who would you put on Ohio Football's "Mount Rushmore"?

TT: Well, you're right about that. These names will only be recognized by Bobcat fans. Cleve Bryant, QB of the last MAC Championship team and head coach at Ohio in the 80's; Vince Costello, before my time but OL who played with the Browns in the 60's; Kalvin McCrae, all-time leading rusher who helped breath life back into the program when Solich started; Dave Zastudil, long-time NFL punter who was our only NFL player for many years until Solich started to bring better talent into the program.
GH: What is the opinion of the Gophers football program from the Ohio Bobcat perspective?

TT: I think it's colored by people's perception of Coach Kill, which is quite high due to the teams he fielded at Northern Illinois. Since 2006 only 1 MAC school, Northern Illinois, has more wins than Ohio. And I also think Bobcat fans understand the challenge that most Big 10 teams have in overcoming the recruiting advantages and resources that belong to schools like Ohio St. and Michigan. Seeing the Kent St. score, I think Ohio fans see this game as more winnable than they would have predicted preseason.

GH: How many Ohio fans would you expect will travel to this game?

TT: There are 135 people signed up for the Alumni Association's Bobcat Bash prior to the game. I'll triple that number and say 400 total. More important to Gopher fans, former Bobcat basketball great Gary Trent and his son Gary Trent Jr. are slated to be at the Bobcat Bash.

GH: Who wins and why?

TT: I think Minnesota circles the wagons. They got their clunker out of the way last week and beat Ohio this week.

GH: What is your Ohio at Minnesota score prediction?

TT: Could be a rock fight, I'll go 20-10 Minnesota. If Ohio can put up a big number offensively vs. the Gophers, we'll know we have something.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/557111?referrer_id=331171

The Gophers offense has struggled to ignite this season, but Minnesota still finds itself 2-1 heading into the last week of the non-conference schedule. It’s Homecoming for the Gophers and a 3-0 Ohio Bobcat team led by head coach Frank Solich comes to town. GopherHole caught up with Ted Thompson at BobcatAttack.com to lean all things Ohio Bobcat football, and to preview Saturday’s game.
GH: Ohio enters this game 3-0, with three pretty convincing wins so far. What should Gopher fans expect from the Bobcats in this game?
TT: I think Solich's formula is run the ball and play solid defense. It's kind of a cliche, but you won't see the Bobcats abandon the run game. When they've had good teams, that formula has paid off in fourth quarters of games.

LOL - This is what many of the GopherHole experts hate about Kill and Limegrover! I wonder if their fans are experts just like ours are? Of course they are!:rolleyes:

LOL - This is what many of the GopherHole experts hate about Kill and Limegrover! I wonder if their fans are experts just like ours are? Of course they are!:rolleyes:

They probably think the QB is a D.IV quality player if there was such a thing. :cool02:

It would be great if we could run the ball.

It would be great if we could run the ball.

They have in the past and they will do it again in the future. The only question is when. Meanwhile, we will continue to have meltdowns.

They have in the past and they will do it again in the future. The only question is when. Meanwhile, we will continue to have meltdowns.

I agree. Just wish they'd avoid contact in practice so the o-line stops sustaining practice injuries. Bums me out.

Kent states mt Rushmore was way more impressive than Ohio

Top Bottom