Purdue Postgame Presser Notes

Reaction score
Blake Cashman:
This season I’ve felt more comfortable being on the field. I know my assignment so when the opportunity in there I can make the play.

Felt great to get the sacks. There was a couple times I was right there to make a third sack, but I just couldn’t get it.

Momentum is huge in every game, it was huge for Duke to get that first sack to get the play turned around the in second half.

Mitch Leidner:
Gave me a lot of reads to be able to pull the ball the zone read more.

They really haven’t given that many pull reads. They were just crashing down harder on the RB.

It’s frustrating hearing the crowd booing before half. We knew we were going to come back.

The offensive line early in the game, coach talked to them and they started to pick their energy up and coming off the ball better.

We feel great about where we’re heading right now. Both sides of the ball are complementing each other. We keep pushing each other to get better.

Rodney Smith:
Said he prepares the same way each week despite getting more carries with Brooks out.

I was nervous and I kind of panicked. I hurt my ankle last year so I didn’t want to go through that. It was the same ankle as last year.

On the last TD: The play was blocked well. It was a great play call.

This week coming up is a big week. We have big goals.

Jalen Myrick:
I just didn’t make the plays in the first half, personally. Made some plays in the second half. We had to fight our way out of after giving up the big plays. We had to show everyone we can compete.

We bounced back after Iowa really well. We’re on a 4-game win streak. The room for error is done. We just have to keep going, now.

Here are the exact quotes posted by the U of M communications:

Tracy Claeys
On his overall thoughts...
"I thought for the way the first half ended, I told our kids to have a next-play mentality. That's all I told them at half time. Forget what's happened, go out there and play hard, do what you are supposed to do, play every play at your best and we will get what we deserve in the end. I think in the second half we played awfully well and created some turnovers, kept the ball in front of us. The offense continues to take the turnovers and turn them into points. I was very pleased with the way we reacted in the first half."

On what happened at the end of the first half...
"We'd been getting behind them so I told the guys, `Let's throw the ball deep and go four verticals.' Obviously that did not get communicated so that's my fault. At least it didn't get communicated to Mitch [Leidner] so that's my fault. I thought we would try and get behind them and throw it up and see what happens. It didn't get communicated that way so that's my fault. There is a lot of plays in that game and there was a lot of time left. Our kids took advantage of it."

On if the team heeded his halftime message...
"I don't think there is any question about that. We have a good team and they know what they are capable of doing. We were within a score and anytime you are within one score anything can happen. Defensively, I think they did a great job in second half of getting that thing shut down and getting us field position. Ryan [Santoso] punted the ball better and Emmit Carpenter came out and got us right off the bat with the 50-plus-yard field goals. We made it a little more difficult than we had to but we got things done and we are right where we want to be."

Mitch Leidner
On feelings going into halftime after the interception…
“I mean it was something that was frustrating at first, but once I got into the locker room, I could see the guys start rallying. So we knew we were going to come back and not let that instance define us as a team.”

On the team feeling of winning four straight games in Big Ten play…
“It feels really good. We are really happy with where we are at right now going into the last three games of the season. I love being around these guys every single day in practice. There is a lot of competitive spirit with these guys and it’s fun to be around.”

It was still the wrong decision, but I see the point. The WRs were getting by the DBs.

Makes the end of first half call not quite as bad. Awful, none the less.

Top Bottom