Purdue Line

ncgo4

Reaction score
Gophers only an 8 pt dog against boilermakers at Purdue? Seems like an awful lot of (so far) undeserved respect for Minnesota.

First of all let me say that I have no problem with the 8 pt line, hopefully the gophers wont get run out of the building. Especially considering that purdue could(potentially) have a let down after a great win over west va.

That said it seems to be a trend in college basketball, not necessarily with the betting lines but the media in general. They try to hold onto a team until they are absolutely dead in the water.

For instance ND last year was really preseason hyped and it took A LOT of loses before the media finally gave up on them being a good team.

Gophers only an 8 pt dog against boilermakers at Purdue? Seems like an awful lot of (so far) undeserved respect for Minnesota.

I think Boilers W but Gophers will cover that line. Purdue by 5 (I'd guess).

I expected it to be about 10. Purdue is an excellent team, but save WVU they haven't run many of thier 'marquee' opponents out of the gym. I also think the potential 'let-down' factor has to be considered. I think there's a decent chance MN jumps out to a half-time lead and Purdue has to battle back and pull out a close win.

While I'd be thrilled with a win or even a 5 pt loss, I think we will get creamed - purdue is more disciplined on offense and their 1/2 court defense can be quite awesome. Gopher leadership on the court by juniors/seniors (except one game by Westbrook and glimpses by Hoff) have yet to wow me in any way.

I think our only chance is if Westbrook, Hoffarber, and or Joseph get hot from behind the arc and we push the pace in transition offense. Their 3 point defense is a little bit of a weakness if they have one in there half court defense set. I'm thinking Nolen will be on Moore and DJ on Hummel when we are out of the press. The key on defense will be the transition from a press to the half court defense. The Iverson or Carter on Johnson makes me a little nervous on the defensive side of the ball. It should be a fun game to see if they can hang around with the Boilers.

I wouldn't venture a guess at the final spread. Here's my thinking.

Gophers win. WOW!
Lose by 5. We are a very good team.
Lose by 5-10. Not so bad. Maybe we beat them here.
Lose by 10-15 Not so good. We can't play with them.
Lose by 15-20 Forget the BT upper division.
Lose by 20+ Only the loyally blind hold out hope.

Gophers win. WOW!

Let's reverse that:

win by 20+ We were lucky and got all of the refs' calls.
win by 15-20 Maybe the BT upper division, we were lucky and got all of the refs' calls.
win by 10-15 Pretty good, we can play with them, but we were lucky and got all refs' calls.
Win by 5-10 Not so bad, we were lucky, got most refs' calls,but we won't beat them here.
Win by 0-5 Purdue is not a very good team, we were lucky and got a few key calls from the refs.
Gophers Lose Expected, Gophers aren't any good, and the ref's screwed us.

Gophers win. WOW!

I try not to judge how I view the team overall after one game, regardless if we win or lose and what the point spread is. I'll simply say that if we lose by more than 20 it will be very disappointing. Other than that, I'm just hoping for the best.

Home court is allegedly worth only 3 points ... and the line has now grown to -9. CBS Sports predicts Purdue to win 71-64. On this, it's better than 2:1 for Purdue with a bit more than a 10-point spread. The line in our Predict the Score efforts have tended to be pretty close to Vegas's line, FWIW.

Home court is allegedly worth only 3 points ... and the line has now grown to -9. CBS Sports predicts Purdue to win 71-64. On this, it's better than 2:1 for Purdue with a bit more than a 10-point spread. The line in our Predict the Score efforts have tended to be pretty close to Vegas's line, FWIW.

Not the ones I put up.

What is Mike predicting? That will be the score.

If you give 5 pts for home court that means we'd be rated as only a 3 pt dog on a neutral court. I can't believe this line gets even money on both sides.

I just checked the current line and it's up to 8.5, still seems like a low line against the # 4 team in the country. If so, we should be a top 15 team.

Top Bottom