Purdue...Is this a must W for bowl hopes?

Reaction score
IMHO yes...if they lose this one at home, they setup for a meltdown at on-the-road biggies PSU, tOSU and beyond as their confidence takes a big hit despite all the BT-leading experience on this team.

Fans and students will be pumped for homecoming, thus the 12th-man effect a huge positive. Brew & Staff should have the Gs ready to rumble. I'm anticipating an up-and-down drama that may not be pretty, but a NW-type W decided in the 4Q.

Yes.
If we don't beat South Dakota State, then I may commit an act of violence.
But, if we can't beat Purdue, what other 3 or 4 wins would we get?
Illinois - probably
Michigan State - maybe
Penn State - doubtful
Ohio State - more doubtful
Iowa - very doubtful.

If we beat Purdue, the focus should be to scratch and claw out enough wins for a New Year's Day bowl.
If we lose to Purdue, to goal is to fight equally as hard for the "Pizza Bowl."
That's a big, big difference.
Saturday is probably the biggest thing to a "must win" we'll have this season (unless we lose of course, which then makes every game a "must win."

Agreed. If the GGs come up short vs Purdue, the rest of the season probably plays out as an exercise in mostly "maybes" and "doubtfuls" of various stripes for GN. That's not a pleasant scenario for optimistic bowl dreams in the real world of BT fb.

The game with Purdue is a must win for all the obvious reasons.

As stated above, yes, this is a must win game for the Gophers.

Absolutely a must win ... and I will take it a step further ... a must win when talking about Brewster's future ... that being said, I haven't come up with a conceivable way that entails Purdue winning ... making it close? maybe, but that's it.

Forget a bowl game, this is a must-win just to keep this season together. Lose this, and we're looking at a four-game losing streak that includes disappointing home losses to a rival and a team that most players and fans likely think we should beat. Sure, you can still turn it around after that, but from an emotional (and recruiting) standpoint, it would be very difficult.

I agree, this is a must, not just for our bowl hopes, but a loss against Purdue, and we probably have a 4 game losing streak, with probable losses against Penn State and OSU. This is a game that we should be able to win at home. A win sets a decent tone for a while.

Doogie...with all due respect...

Here's a conceivable way the Gs lose: stupid penalties not fixed, losing the turnover battle, poor in-game coaching adjustments.

Also, I don't agree that this game is key for Brew's future, but I do agree that more voices of concerned "doubt" will emerge from GN.

When the Gophers fumbled on the last drive of the game, I figured "It's ok, we have two guys right there", figuring one would land on it. But instead, they don't notice, and a Badger dives right past them to recover it. We need to have some better awareness out there.

Yes. If they can't beat Purdue, even 6-6 becomes pretty unlikely. 5-7 isn't getting it done and gives Brew a 50% chance of getting the axe.

The thing that really bothers me about the Wisconsin loss is that if the Gophers couldn't beat them this year with 18 returning starters, at home, in a new stadium, etc., etc., when will they beat them? The Purdue game is absolutely critical to the program. Brewster and his staff and the players need to show that they can bounce back from a tough loss. If they go out and pout, they're going to lose. And it won't be the actual loss to Purdue that costs Brewster his job, but it will set up his inevitable removal. Lose to Purdue and 6-6 is best-case scenario. But if they lose to Purdue, losses to Michigan State and or Illinois are possible if not probable. A loss to Purdue means half-empty TCF Bank Stadium the rest of the season and 4-8 or 5-7. If that happens, Brewster is gone.

As pissed as everyone on here has been about last weeks loss, how pissed do you think the players like Decker are? Of course this game is a must win, but I think the Gophers take their anger out on Purdue and run it up.

As pissed as everyone on here has been about last weeks loss, how pissed do you think the players like Decker are? Of course this game is a must win, but I think the Gophers take their anger out on Purdue and run it up.

This is why I am excited about tomorrow. If I am those guys I am ticked off and want to take it out on who is next. My chili is going for tomorrow.

This is why I am excited about tomorrow. If I am those guys I am ticked off and want to take it out on who is next. My chili is going for tomorrow.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel if I'm Purdue. A blown shot to win at the end against Northwestern, similar blown chances against Oregon and Notre Dame in close games. Now they're headed into one of a handful of 'winable' games left for this team. Hate to break it to you, but they feel the same about this game as we do....this is one they can win, and one they need to win.

And to the people who think we're head-and-shoulders better than the Boilers...what games are you watching??? I think we're a better team, but these guys are right there in the same 'tier' as we are. They've made some untimely mistakes and have entirely too many turnovers, but they've shown they can move the ball and stay in a game till the end with everyone they've played.

Doogie...with all due respect...

Here's a conceivable way the Gs lose: stupid penalties not fixed, losing the turnover battle, poor in-game coaching adjustments.

Also, I don't agree that this game is key for Brew's future, but I do agree that more voices of concerned "doubt" will emerge from GN.

I suppose...I am not completely looking big picture...will disagree on the future part, at least based on some chatter this week.

I suppose...I am not completely looking big picture...will disagree on the future part, at least based on some chatter this week.

That chatter inside the program has been there since before this season even began: Under .500 and Brewster is gone.

That chatter inside the program has been there since before this season even began: Under .500 and Brewster is gone.

I would hope that the people making these decisions understand what's going on better than that.

That's just doogie's way of taking a cheap shot at Brewster again. If indeed what he hears as "chatter" is true (probably from Reusse), frightening thought, this team is going into the crapper for a much longer time than what they think it is already in.

Didn't Brewster just get a 3 year extension this week?

Anytime a win is expected while rebuilding it's a must-win, because a loss would be demoralizing.

Cmon man! copyright MNF crew. Doogie, I actually think you bring occasional inside info, interviews, etc. I also thought the Strib blog was out of line. But you get way to much crap here for trying to balance out our general positivity that said, Cmon Man!
You can't just take a shot like that undermining the coach of our favorite team, by saying there's chatter(assuming doubt) about Brewster's future.
If you have heard something, then report it. If it's off the record, then don't bring it up. Now I think you either have to give specific details about what you heard or just let it go and forget it.
No more potshots. Go full out report or don't go.

Top Bottom