Purdue files appeal to permit Jeff Brohm to communicate remotely during Saturday's game vs Iowa

Why am I thinking I don't really have a problem with this?
Ditto. I and most the people I know have been working remotely for over six months now. I don't see why a football coach can't do it if the technology makes it possible. If nothing else, it would make it less likely for future cases to get "hidden" if the NCAA makes it clear that getting the virus doesn't lead to 100% removal from all team activities.

Must be a reason for the rule. I'm sure there must be a way for teams to gain an advantage by doing that.

Last edited:

In the year of the Covid I believe Brohm should be allowed to communicate remotely and then examined at the end of the year for a better look at it.

No doubt he is watching the replays over and over by the television station. Is that something more than what he would have on the field as to a closer look? Interesting question overall.

Must be a reason for the rule. I'm sure their must be a way for teams to gain an advantage by doing that.
Yea, maybe. Not sure what coaches see up in the booth now, but you could make a case that if he us watching game at home, he could gleam some advantage or information from broadcasters, sideline reporters, replays, etc.

Must be a reason for the rule. I'm sure their must be a way for teams to gain an advantage by doing that.
There has to be; until he got cleared, they were most certainly NOT going to let Nick Saban do any of that in their game with Georgia last week. I heard multiple discussions on that on a few podcasts

Yea, maybe. Not sure what coaches see up in the booth now, but you could make a case that if he us watching game at home, he could gleam some advantage or information from broadcasters, sideline reporters, replays, etc.
Tons more communication available to him elsewhere than on the field.

This or maybe have a whole slew of other coaches and analysts not directly associated with the football team on another line...

Whenever I watch football on TV it's far enough lagged that the stats update on the web before I see it. I would find it hilarious if Brohm were always calling plays from a minute ago

Whenever I watch football on TV it's far enough lagged that the stats update on the web before I see it. I would find it hilarious if Brohm were always calling plays from a minute ago
Interesting, I have the opposite, sometimes by a play lagged on the web. What site?

Unless something has changed, coaches already have access to the TV feed of the game up in their booth so don't really see that as any sort of advantage for Brohm coaching remotely. I'm sure they have their reasons for why they don't want coaches to do this but as others have said I really don't see an issue with it.

Seems like if he could find a way to get to the stadium they could just pop him in an isolated booth with a headset

I assume they don't want coaches to gain some kind of unfair advantage by having access to information that they wouldn't normally be able to get/see on the sidelines.

Like TV broadcasts, internet? Something like that.

Unless something has changed, coaches already have access to the TV feed of the game up in their booth so don't really see that as any sort of advantage for Brohm coaching remotely. I'm sure they have their reasons for why they don't want coaches to do this but as others have said I really don't see an issue with it.

Seems like if he could find a way to get to the stadium they could just pop him in an isolated booth with a headset
Bolded: not sure if this is actually true, though. At least in regards to the broadcast that goes out to the public, with commentary added.

I guess the reason I say that is, it is fairly tightly regulated in the NFL as to what players and coaches are allowed to see during the game. They used to only be allowed to print out pictures of the previous plays, now I think they have a deal with Microsoft to supply tablets to the can at least review video of the previous plays.

I think it is pretty naive to think that coaches don't already have access in some way to whatever information goes out on a TV broadcast. There is someone on the staff somewhere monitoring that feed and feeding any relevant information to the staff.

The reality is though that the only info the TV coverage is going to have that might have any benefit to the coaches at all would be injury status updates. No coaching staff worth a damn would need to rely on the commentary from broadcasters to make their in game decisions.

I think it is pretty naive to think that coaches don't already have access in some way to whatever information goes out on a TV broadcast. There is someone on the staff somewhere monitoring that feed and feeding any relevant information to the staff.

The reality is though that the only info the TV coverage is going to have that might have any benefit to the coaches at all would be injury status updates. No coaching staff worth a damn would need to rely on the commentary from broadcasters to make their in game decisions.
Right, you would think not.

But what if the commentator points out something that the staff didn't realize. Picks up a signal, or comments on a strategy. Who knows, I'm making that up.

Just trying to get at the spirit of the rule, as far as what I guess it was. Again, I wouldn't be so sure the bolded is true. If nothing else, for what you then later said, that they "shouldn't" need it.

Yeah I agree I'm not sure TV is the core issue.

I won't be taking play calling advice from the color guy... I doubt many coach's would.

Still I wouldn't just open it up either. The level of out of hand Houston Astro's style stuff would get bonkers.

Instead of watching the tv broadcast if they want to adhere to the no broadcast or replay access during game policies Brohm could be video monitored Big Brother style to ensure he is only accessing a private video feed from cameras set up from the sidelines (not broadcast). With the inherent network and processing delays I’m not sure if it would work well anyway. Give him one of those 8 inch displays the replays officals scrutinize...

Instead of watching the tv broadcast if they want to adhere to the no broadcast or replay access during game policies Brohm could be video monitored Big Brother style to ensure he is only accessing a private video feed from cameras set up from the sidelines (not broadcast). With the inherent network and processing delays I’m not sure if it would work well anyway. Give him one of those 8 inch displays the replays officals scrutinize...
I'd watch the game if they did it and had him split-screen...😋

Interesting, I have the opposite, sometimes by a play lagged on the web. What site?

I believe it’s because I stream my cable from Comcast without a cable box. I also watch NFL with streaming Sunday Ticket and experience the same.

I'm guessing there's a reason for the rule and if the reason still makes sense, the rule should still exist. Not too sure what the limits are on what coaches can't do on the sideline but if there are limits that couldn't be enforced when he's coaching remotely, it's not fair to let him coach remotely.

They could just ask the Patriots how they would use it to their advantage. Would give you a pretty good idea of how a team could cheat with it.

Top Bottom