proposed new rules

I actually like most of those. The big one is an ejection for targeting. That one is a little scary because it can be pretty subjective between what is agressive and what is tarteting but I like that they want to incorporate replay in to the process to make sure. Just tough to define that fine line between aggressive and dirty play, you don't want guys on defense to have to hold back but you also don't want guys going for "kill shot" type of hits on players that can't protect themself.

I'm fine with the targeting rule, but I'm concerned that it will be inconsistently called. With players being ejected for game if the penalty is in the first half, or the remainder of the game plus the first half of the next game, that's a lot of power in the hands of the officials. If they are inconsistent, that can decide games.

I think it might be good for the game if the sports media didn't focus on "highlight reel" hits. If you want to discourage these dangerous shots, then rewarding them by giving them highlight reel attention only encourages that sort of behavior.

I actually like most of those. The big one is an ejection for targeting. That one is a little scary because it can be pretty subjective between what is agressive and what is tarteting but I like that they want to incorporate replay in to the process to make sure. Just tough to define that fine line between aggressive and dirty play, you don't want guys on defense to have to hold back but you also don't want guys going for "kill shot" type of hits on players that can't protect themself.

The rules have been out for a number of years and the majority players and coaches have adjusted. The ejection has been implemented in the past, but it is felt that not enough ejections have taken place. This will put coaches and players on alert that this avoidable dumb play is going to be penalized to the max. Go get the ball with your hands or hit and wrap below the shoulders and you will be just fine.

Targeting will be VERY subjective, and very controversal as the season progresses. Look for some interesting decisions on who gets flagged and ejected, and in what games. This one is akin to having your best BB player "foul out". This one doesn't pass the smell test.

#4 is a good one. It's like the BB clock...you can't catch and shoot a ball in under 0.4 seconds to go. This one takes out subjectivity on ball placement, ball readiness, and the time it takes to set, snap, and spike. Under 3 seconds, it can't be done. Simple. I agree with it whole heartedly. The writer doesn't get it.

Targeting will be VERY subjective, and very controversal as the season progresses. Look for some interesting decisions on who gets flagged and ejected, and in what games. This one is akin to having your best BB player "foul out". This one doesn't pass the smell test.

#4 is a good one. It's like the BB clock...you can't catch and shoot a ball in under 0.4 seconds to go. This one takes out subjectivity on ball placement, ball readiness, and the time it takes to set, snap, and spike. Under 3 seconds, it can't be done. Simple. I agree with it whole heartedly. The writer doesn't get it.

Can it be backdated to that Purdue game?

6. Same number at same position. Similarly to the rule above, the committee proposed a rule preventing teams from having players who play the same position share the same number. For example, having two quarterbacks who share the same number could, yes, deceive the opposition.

It looks like we might have to give our punters some new numbers.

I've always thought the Boise St. field/jersey complaint was way overblown. It can screw you up from our vantage point watching it on tv, but when you're on field level, all the players are standing above the field so the background isn't the actual field.

I've always thought the Boise St. field/jersey complaint was way overblown. It can screw you up from our vantage point watching it on tv, but when you're on field level, all the players are standing above the field so the background isn't the actual field.

Not necessarily true. Over distance, significant parallax view kicks in.

Try it sometime in a crowd at the Fair. You are not looking straight across, you are really looking downward at long distance.

Here's an example, shot taken from head high...

5980997667_2485192c92_o.png

The Army should play in ghillie suits.

I think it might be good for the game if the sports media didn't focus on "highlight reel" hits. If you want to discourage these dangerous shots, then rewarding them by giving them highlight reel attention only encourages that sort of behavior.

Just like how they don't show fans on the field and don't show fights after plays are over...

The media are always asked to be responsible with what they show, but then people want to see decleaters...

Overall I think the new rules are pretty good. With instant replay I don't know why the spike play rule change is necessary. Maybe with one second, but with two seconds you can review to see if the ball hit before zero. If not, game over.

Depending on how the define the spike, there might be ways around it. If the ball is thrown at a back's feet, rather than just thrown at the QB's own feet, is that still spiking?

You also have to think of the competitive advantave Boise's coaches have in viewing the action from above since they are not focusing on their guys as much as the other team. I think it is a good idea not to let them go all blue on their own field. Frankly I also don't think they should be allowed to have the blue turf at all but that doesn't seem like it will ever be going away.

Just like how they don't show fans on the field and don't show fights after plays are over...

The media are always asked to be responsible with what they show, but then people want to see decleaters...

Overall I think the new rules are pretty good. With instant replay I don't know why the spike play rule change is necessary. Maybe with one second, but with two seconds you can review to see if the ball hit before zero. If not, game over.

I think the point is that you can't:

1. Have the ref signal the ball is ready for play;
2. Snap the ball;
3. Receive the snap;
4. Pull your arm back;
5. Spike the ball into the ground;
6. Blow the whistle.

In under 3 seconds. Remember, the whistle ends the play, not the ball hitting the ground.

This is a start (notice I didn't say GOOD start); however the main damage to players is accumulative hits. That means real change would start with limiting the amount of hitting in practice...especially during the season.

Top Bottom