Projected O/D Depth Chart

JoeCool

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of what a projected depth chart could look like for fall? Interested to see what we’ve got cooking.

I’ll start with the easy one:

QB
Brosmer
Lindsey
Shik

I guess my question would be - which positions do we feel the best about, and which positions present the most question marks.

On offense:
QB - Max starts as long as he is healthy. If he's not healthy, then throw the kid to the wolves
RB - seems to be more depth. can Taylor be the main RB and stay healthy?
TE - what is the rotation like with BSF gone?
WR - need Jackson and Brockington to stay healthy. can younger WR's step up and contribute?
OL - if Carroll moves inside, who is the RT?

On defense:
DL - I think the top 6 guys are solid, but lot of questions about depth
LB - Lindenberg has to stay healthy. Baranowski needs to improve.
C - Walley is solid and Henderson in the slot. after that.....
S - biggest question mark on team - who starts and can any of the backups play?

my way too early takeaway - the secondary is the key to the season. If they play well, Gophers can be competitive. If the secondary doesn't play well, with this schedule.......yikes.

Curious what happens during spring transfers. Which positions - players will be added/subtracted?

QB Brosmer, Lindsey, Shik
RB Taylor, Bangura, Major, Nubin, two freshmen
WR Jackson, Varner, Hayes
WR Spencer, Lanier, Driver
Slot Brockington, Hoskins, McWilliams
TE blocking Kallerup, Geers, Jones blocking,Johnson, Simpson, Walsh Peters
LT Early, Alvarez, Mister
LG Cooper,Beers, Nelson
C Johnson, McConnell, Williams
RG Carroll, Tripp
RT Lewis, Daniels

DE Joyner, Smith, Schwartz
DT Eastern, Richter, Owusu
DT LoganRedding, Randle, Jeffries, Becker
DE Striggow, Menz, Finnessey, Macy
LB Lindenberg, Stolsky, KingsburyElliott,
LB Williams, Baranowski, Carrier, Gerlach, Zolman
Nickel. Henderson, McDonald, McMillian
CB Walley, Bryan, Kelly
CB Robinson, Watson, Gerald, Pless
S Green, Gousby, Brown
S Bryson, Perich, Monroe

I guess my question would be - which positions do we feel the best about, and which positions present the most question marks.

On offense:
QB - Max starts as long as he is healthy. If he's not healthy, then throw the kid to the wolves
RB - seems to be more depth. can Taylor be the main RB and stay healthy?
TE - what is the rotation like with BSF gone?
WR - need Jackson and Brockington to stay healthy. can younger WR's step up and contribute?
OL - if Carroll moves inside, who is the RT?

On defense:
DL - I think the top 6 guys are solid, but lot of questions about depth
LB - Lindenberg has to stay healthy. Baranowski needs to improve.
C - Walley is solid and Henderson in the slot. after that.....
S - biggest question mark on team - who starts and can any of the backups play?

my way too early takeaway - the secondary is the key to the season. If they play well, Gophers can be competitive. If the secondary doesn't play well, with this schedule.......yikes.
  • I'm curious about TE too. Last year our backs were dominant scheming out of two tight-end personnel groups. Is there a hybrid FB/TE I'm missing that we could insert? Maybe one emerges this season with the ability to catch a pass... make some slow-footed B1G linebackers play coverage.
  • Who else are we looking forward to at LB? Depth pieces?
  • It does seem like we only have one competitive outside CB. Like you said, yikes.
  • Safety concerns me because Hetherman's uber-aggressive schemes rely on an eraser type on the back end.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a portal addition in the secondary this Spring. In actuality, it's likely necessary.

• I'm curious about TE too. Last year our backs were dominant scheming out of two tight-end personnel groups. Is there a hybrid FB/TE I'm missing that we could insert? Maybe one emerges this season with the ability to catch a pass... make some slow-footed B1G linebackers play coverage.
  • Who else are we looking forward to at LB? Depth pieces?
  • It does seem like we only have one competitive outside CB. Like you said, yikes.
  • Safety concerns me because Hetherman's uber-aggressive schemes rely on an eraser type on the back end.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a portal addition in the secondary this Spring. In actuality, it's likely necessary.

I can envision Koi being the eraser in the secondary

koieraser.jpg

With Coach DeBo's recruiting chops, I wouldn't be surprised to see a DL addition.

We could REALLY use a run stuffing nose guard. We have talent along the DL, but are very thin at the 1 technique .

LG Cooper,Beers, Nelson
RG Carroll, Tripp
RT Lewis, Daniels
LT-A. Ersery as the starter. Right?

OL depth taking a hit in the portal. McConnell and Mister gone. probably not in the 2-deep at this point, but a couple of injuries at the wrong position, and who knows.

more concerning - Tariq Watson gone at CB. he definitely seemed to be in the rotation.

I don’t get how you role with just 2 scholarship qbs one of which is a true frosh. Better scenario to add more experienced talent this year than it will be next year.

LG Cooper,Beers, Nelson
RG Carroll, Tripp
RT Lewis, Daniels
Driver might be the 1st WR off the bench unless the kid that just transferred in is legit.

DE Joyner, Smith, Schwartz
DT Eastern, Richter, Owusu
DT LoganRedding, Randle, Jeffries, Becker
DE Striggow, Menz, Finnessey, Macy
LB Lindenberg, Stolsky, KingsburyElliott,
LB Williams, Baranowski, Carrier, Gerlach, Zolman
Nickel. Henderson, McDonald, McMillian
CB Walley, Bryan, Kelly
CB Robinson, Watson, Gerald, Pless
S Green, Gousby, Brown
S Bryson, Perich, Monroe
Gerald will jump Watson or Bryan.

Would somebody update these with the incoming transfers and freshman and take off some that left in the portal?

What about the DB from Auburn (?) who transferred here to come back home I believe? I know that there were eligibility concerns last year, but is he expected to play this year? Is he a starter level player?

What about the DB from Auburn (?) who transferred here to come back home I believe? I know that there were eligibility concerns last year, but is he expected to play this year? Is he a starter level player?
Craig McDonald did play a little bit the second half of the season after he became eligible.

Gophers have talent on the O-line. Unclear to me what positions they play. And when do they freshmen play?

Nathan Roy is a talent. Where and when does he play? He's a lock-down starter once he's ready.

Is Carroll at guard or center?

Safety position is probably the most wide open position on the team right now. I don't see Craig starting. He'll probably be more on ST.

Top Bottom