Pro Day Minnesota

Reaction score
Who is everyone excited about? Think there will be any big surprises on times? thoughts on sleepers? anyone going?

I talked with one of the coaches this weekend. He said don't be surprised if Eric Small sets the bench press rcorded. Simoni Lawrence has put on 15 lbs, so his 40 yd isn't as good. Hageman just weighted in at 298.

I talked with one of the coaches this weekend. He said don't be surprised if Eric Small sets the bench press rcorded. Simoni Lawrence has put on 15 lbs, so his 40 yd isn't as good. Hageman just weighted in at 298.

What? I hope that's mostly good weight. The older GI roster listst him at 236, which I think is his HS weight. That's a lot of pounds to pack on in a year. If he hasn't lost a step, or much of one, he could be a force next year at DE or DT.

I'm ready for Sherels vertical...based on playing ball with him, it's got to be close to 40 inches, the guy can actually fly, I've seen it happen...

sherels and nick tow arnett both helped their draft stock, tow ran a 4.68 and 36 inch vert, looked the part of a hb, sherels was a beast, 4.34 40 time, 40 inch vertical, and 10'2 broad jump, sherels also gained 10 pounds

I'm ready for Sherels vertical...based on playing ball with him, it's got to be close to 40 inches, the guy can actually fly, I've seen it happen...

I didn't stick around for his verticle but based on his two sub 4'4's, I believe you. (I shared this because it seemed to be open to anyone who walked in).

This is coming from someone who is an admirer of both the Sherels boys, and someone who highly values their contributions to the Gopher program. (Coincidentally, I sat next to their aunt and uncle for several games this year.)

Where was this freakish athleticism that Marcus now displays? These are the numbers of an elite-level NFL CB prospect, not a middling Big Ten starter. Is it just a case of being an incredible athlete, and not that outstanding of a football player?

This is coming from someone who is an admirer of both the Sherels boys, and someone who highly values their contributions to the Gopher program. (Coincidentally, I sat next to their aunt and uncle for several games this year.)

Where was this freakish athleticism that Marcus now displays? These are the numbers of an elite-level NFL CB prospect, not a middling Big Ten starter. Is it just a case of being an incredible athlete, and not that outstanding of a football player?

+1. I appreciate is career here at the U, but where did that ability come from?? Very impressive day for Marcus.

First, I want to say I have nothing but gratitude and respect for Marcus Sherels' hard work and play for the Golden Gophers. He worked hard and didn't (visibly) complain about anything.

That said this is one of those rare moments when dpodoll and I agree. Watching Sherels play he struck me as a guy who worked hard, played pretty well most of the time, but was consistently slow to react to plays as they developed. I assumed those lightning quick reactions were simply beyond Sherels athletic ability. Maybe Sherels instincts just aren't quite on par with his physical talent? Maybe NFL teams agree but believe they can coach him to play to his potential?

Regardless, I'm happy he is doing so well and wish him luck at the next level.

Well I think there are a couple things that come into play.

First, Marcus was always fast and this made him an above average cover corner. After a pretty darn good Junior year, I thought he would surely become an elite corner in the Big Ten.

Really, I think Marcus' digression as a football player can be attributed to injuries. First the ankle, which affected his speed and then his shoulder, which caused him to be very sub-par in run support.

The other thing to remember here is this was MINNESOTA's pro-day. Would Marcus have ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine - making him THE FASTEST CORNER in attendance? It's possible, sure. But something tells me he runs a better 40 at home. I'm sure the vertical is legit.

The other thing to remember here is this was MINNESOTA's pro-day. Would Marcus have ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine - making him THE FASTEST CORNER in attendance? It's possible, sure. But something tells me he runs a better 40 at home. I'm sure the vertical is legit.

I was afraid to say so explicitly for fear of reprisal, but these are my thoughts exactly.

Even taking that the speed numbers may be slightly inflated into account, that still doesn't explain away his "eh" level of play as a Gopher. He was better before injuries, sure, but even his junior year belies anything approaching this level of athleticism.

you guys can hate on anything, just go look at some picture of his vertical, try playing with that bum ankle, not to mention, he was rarely passed on because his guy was covered even with the ankle and yes, im sure the coaches from all the nfl teams gave him a home field advantage, 40 yards is 40 yards genius, you guys are ridiculous

you guys can hate on anything, just go look at some picture of his vertical, try playing with that bum ankle, not to mention, he was rarely passed on because his guy was covered even with the ankle and yes, im sure the coaches from all the nfl teams gave him a home field advantage, 40 yards is 40 yards genius, you guys are ridiculous

I prefer redonkulous

What the hell are you talking about?

First of all, no one is "hating" on him.

Second of all, no, 40 yards is not 40 yards. Times will vary wildly depending whether the person is running on grass, asphalt, cinder board, rubber mulch, polyurethane, etc. But I'm sure you already knew that. "Genius".

Third of all, yes, it is a homefield advantage. Since, you know, it was at his homefield and all. You're seriously trying to say people don't perform better when they're in situations/environments/buildings/rooms/etc. with which they are familiar?

Lastly, no one is saying he's not a great athlete. The question is, why is he putting up these numbers when he was a mediocre BCS starter?

Though, I guess it's not really that difficult to answer. Lots of great athletes tried to play football and weren't all that great at it.

nfl_43_mikemula_400.jpg

The question is, why is he putting up these numbers when he was a mediocre BCS starter?

Though, I guess it's not really that difficult to answer. Lots of great athletes tried to play football and weren't all that great at it.

Or, he was moved to CB by Roof, and has a total of two seasons as a CB in which he played pretty well at times, but was injured for significant portions of those two years which would impact his ability to make an impact.

Of course a pass rush that needed him to cover for 5-7 seconds vs. the 10-15 he was forced to provide on a regular basis might have helped him look a little better, too.

I think he has a shot to make it in the NFL if he can stay healthy and has another year or two to learn and grow. Big ifs in the NFL, but he's got a shot.

He looked fast when he took off on that fumble return against Wisconsin lol, I easily could see him as a 4.4 guy. 4.34 surprises me, but yeah...it's already been discussed lol.

Has he been playing corner that long? He walked on as a receiver right? Maybe he's just still kinda raw, I mean, his junior year, he looked on his way to being a pretty darn good corner last season. Injuries did probably play a role, don't know how much of a factor they really were though. It's not like he was bad or anything, just maybe not the impact we were expecting.

Marcus DID have a super junior year. I'm not sure what you guys were watching, but he didn't give up a single TD until the bowl game his junior year. He was great. He forced turnovers, etc. He injured his shoulder late and that hampered him.

This past year it was all about his ankle. He missed several games and never did get back to full strength.

I wish he had another year. He would be a really nice CB to have back.

All I have to say is way to go sherels!!! This was his job interview and he dominated the hell out of it. Scouts draft off numbers so often, and the fact that he happens to be one of the nicest people you'll meet should help him go a long way. Even if the 40 is a little inflated, add .1 second and it's still hellagood. And for all the people that are more willing to talk about the negative things instead of the positives, sherels was injured so much during his career it's kind of hard to live up to your full potential then...and lets not forget, dude was a walkon

Well I think there are a couple things that come into play.

First, Marcus was always fast and this made him an above average cover corner. After a pretty darn good Junior year, I thought he would surely become an elite corner in the Big Ten.

Really, I think Marcus' digression as a football player can be attributed to injuries. First the ankle, which affected his speed and then his shoulder, which caused him to be very sub-par in run support.

Good point. I believe the times were legit, Simoni, Campbell and Tripplet all run basicly the same times they did at the NFL combine. Also remember, the NFL scouts had their own stop watches. Marcus first time was a 4'31 but they discounted it because he had a "rolling" start, so again I believe it was legit. Is was funny watching the scouts before the 40's were run measure it for themselves.

How did you determine that he was not an outstanding football player? Name 5 better corners in the Big Ten and tell why.

And for all the people that are more willing to talk about the negative things instead of the positives, sherels was injured so much during his career it's kind of hard to live up to your full potential then...and lets not forget, dude was a walkon

And if you can't stay healthy at the pro level you are of no use to anyone.

Great news on Sherels running well. I doubt it will be enough for him to get drafted, but it should ensure him getting a camp invite.

Where does he get drafted with those numbers? If they are legit then you would think he'd be off the board by at least the 3rd round.

While waiting for more numbers from the Gophers Pro Day, here's some interesting information from another pro day via DraftInsider.com:

Somehow they don’t list an official time for Alex Daniels, which is a shame. Sources have told us he was as fast as 4.49 seconds in the forty, though his official times was expected to be about 4.56. Daniels measured 6021/265lbs, ran the three cone in 7.08 seconds and long shuttle in 11.59 seconds. He also completed 31 reps on the bench. His vertical was 36.5 inches, not 39 as we reported earlier. He’s being compared to the player he replaced at UC, Connor Barwin. Daniels worked out at defensive line, linebacker and tight end today, as Barwin did a year ago. Daniels has moved into the 5th/6th round area.

If Alex Daniels had a brain and character to go with that body and talent he would have been a 1st to 3rd round. What a waste of a college career

Eric Small and Barrett Moen both put up 34 reps on the bench according to the Gophersports blog. Those are great numbers and I take them as encouraging sign about where the Gophers strength program is under Coach Hill.

Regarding Sherels the guy has potential but always appeared to be limited by his size. His junior year was his first year at corner in college (I don't know if he played there in HS) and as we all know, he played very well. Roof's scheme allowed him to simply man up on receivers and use his athletic ability to blanket receivers and he did it well. This past year he had to play zone about 70% of the time. He hadn't played much zone either in life or since high school, and had to adjust to a new scheme. That combined with an ankle injury that slowed his reaction time and a shoulder injury that made a small guy even less physical, hurt his performance. I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to play in the NFL due to his size, but his performance has always been good IMO

Top Bottom