Prior Lake (MN) DL Martin Owusu picks up offer from Gophers

Do you consider Washington to be at the level of Iowa State and directional Michigan schools?

Honest question. Just asking.

Is there any school in the country, whereby if they had offered a 3/4* in-state kid before the Gophers had, you would be like "huh ... wonder how they beat us out to offering him ...?" or no? No school, USC, Michigan, anyone?
Iowa St is a pretty good football school as of late.

I think you probably gain a bit by being first to offer, but it’s a huge risk. You’re locked into the player, while the player can keep looking. Obviously waiting to the last second to offer is also a huge risk. It’s still early in the recruiting process.
Also, you probably don't want to 'pull' an offer or have a non-comittable offer to a local kid. That's probably a good way to piss off a local coach and hurt your chances with a future prospect. Similarly, when Fleck was hired he basically turned over the recruiting class in a manner of weeks but he honored all the local commitments. London, Bursch, Ryerse (IMO) probably don't end up honored if not from here.

Probably best to wait to evaluate if you're not 100%

Iowa St is a pretty good football school as of late.
I notice you did not answer the question.

If Owusu and Davis (Moorhead) only had offers from Iowa St, I wouldn't have said peep.

By your own admission, you dismiss an Iowa St offer, since they apparently offer anyone with a pulse.

Also, you probably don't want to 'pull' an offer or have a non-comittable offer to a local kid. That's probably a good way to piss off a local coach and hurt your chances with a future prospect. Similarly, when Fleck was hired he basically turned over the recruiting class in a manner of weeks but he honored all the local commitments. London, Bursch, Ryerse (IMO) probably don't end up honored if not from here.

Probably best to wait to evaluate if you're not 100%
Granted, I don't know jack about these "non-committable" offers, to be honest. They seem pretty scam-y and something that shouldn't be allowed.

That said, do you believe Washington's offers to Owusu and Davis before that, were non-committable?

Granted, I don't know jack about these "non-committable" offers, to be honest. They seem pretty scam-y and something that shouldn't be allowed.

That said, do you believe Washington's offers to Owusu and Davis before that, were non-committable?
Don't know, don't care. I specifically said this is for local recruits. If PJ pisses off the PL coach, it's a lot more impactful to PJ in the future than it is to the WA coach.

Don't know, don't care. I specifically said this is for local recruits. If PJ pisses off the PL coach, it's a lot more impactful to PJ in the future than it is to the WA coach.
My point is: if Washington's offer is committable, then the Gophers wouldn't even mess around with a non-committable offer in the first place.

That supersedes your point. Unless you can show that Washington's offer was non-committable. It may have been, I don't know.

I think you probably gain a bit by being first to offer, but it’s a huge risk. You’re locked into the player, while the player can keep looking. Obviously waiting to the last second to offer is also a huge risk. It’s still early in the recruiting process.
It simply isn’t true that you’re locked into the player.

Late to the party, again, like the Moorhead DL.

Don't understand how we're not one of the first to offer. Glad to see it, though! Kid looks huge
Nailed it. It’s almost like the coaches have relationships with these kids we are not privy to and the kids aren’t rushing to the first offer or shirking anyone who isn’t the first offer.

My head hurts from reading this thread and that's saying something. I have absolutely no inside info (nor does anyone else most likely) but here's my take. Kid played at 243 lbs last year. Coaches liked him but let him know he needed to gain weight. Coaches and player keep open communication through last few months/year. Kid comes back in this spring and has gained 30 lbs in a few months. Coaches are happy to see he can gain and carry weight. Offer is made. Offer is accepted.

Not offering but having communication and learning about a kids personality and everything that goes along with that is more important than giving a kid an offer and never talking to him again. Yea, we might not have offered some kids as quickly as others but I'm just going off a hunch and a lot of times with kids like this, the coaches will be open as to why (lack of film, need to see him workout, need to see them compete at a camp, needs to gain weight, needs to improve his grades ect ect) and the kids understand what they can do to earn that offer. Not all kids and situations are equal.

It simply isn’t true that you’re locked into the player.
You’re not technically locked in, but it sure looks bad to part ways. Especially in your own state where you assumably will be recruiting every year. It tarnishes a coaches image so bad that it is rarely done. Anyone have examples of a MN coach doing this? Meanwhile the player has basically no repercussions for flipping.

You’re not technically locked in, but it sure looks bad to part ways. Especially in your own state where you assumably will be recruiting every year. It tarnishes a coaches image so bad that it is rarely done. Anyone have examples of a MN coach doing this? Meanwhile the player has basically no repercussions for flipping.
How crazy it to even have the idea of "just because you offer a player, doesn't mean you shouldn't be locked into them".

Uhhh .... well, shouldn''t you??

What the hell is with these damn "uncommittable" offers?? They should be banned by the rules.

Agreed. It looks bad. I feel like unless a kid commits really early (like the 8th grade type deals) it’s rare a coach ends up pulling the offer. I could be wrong.

Top Bottom