Prior Lake (MN) DL Martin Owusu picks up offer from Gophers

Late to the party, again, like the Moorhead DL.

Don't understand how we're not one of the first to offer. Glad to see it, though! Kid looks huge

Late to the party, again, like the Moorhead DL.

Don't understand how we're not one of the first to offer. Glad to see it, though! Kid looks huge
Why should we be? We have the advantage of being the home town school, we can scout him more than others. What’s the big rush?

How is it possible for Washington - you know, in Seattle - to be "sure" enough to offer.

But right here, we're not sure yet. Need to take our time. No rush.

Both guys ....

How is it possible for Washington - you know, in Seattle - to be "sure" enough to offer.

Both guys ....
Is Washington right now the program we want to emulate?

Is Washington right now the program we want to emulate?
Are they not capable of evaluating DL talent? That's the only thing that is relevant, here.

Maybe they are trash at evaluating DL prospects. I don't know, you tell me.

The reason we got Bateman, was solely because we were the first P5 to offer him.

Georgia came on late, but he stuck with us because we got in early.

Both guys ....
Maybe Washington “offered” many more dline men than we did. I imagine if they offered two relatively average rated guys in Minnesota they must have offered many more, so who knows if they would actually accept a commitment.

A kid that bleeds maroon and gold and wants to stay home isn’t going to leave just because Minnesota wasn’t his first offer. That’s a lame excuse for players that were never that interested in staying. If it’s a legit excuse then that strikes me as a terrible character flaw. We have lost plenty of guys when the hometown school finally offers, just happened with Pyburn.

A kid that bleeds maroon and gold and wants to stay home isn’t going to leave just because Minnesota wasn’t his first offer. That’s a lame excuse for players that were never that interested in staying. If it’s a legit excuse then that strikes me as a terrible character flaw. We have lost plenty of guys when the hometown school finally offers, just happened with Pyburn.
What are we gaining by waiting to offer a guy, that we end up offering anyway, but that guy now has offers and relationships built up with other schools first?

I hope you're not seriously implying that we can "afford" to take advantage of back-yard recruits' natural desire to play for the U (of Minn), by slow playing them??

The reason we got Bateman, was solely because we were the first P5 to offer him.

Georgia came on late, but he stuck with us because we got in early.
Being early got us in the door with Bateman (an out of state kid who probably wouldn't have looked our way otherwise). But to say that is the only reason he committed is just not true.

Being early got us in the door with Bateman (an out of state kid who probably wouldn't have looked our way otherwise). But to say that is the only reason he committed is just not true.
OK, I'm wrong. Not the sole reason.

Is the point I was making now completely diminished?

I’m sure he enjoyed Flecks work with Corey Davis among plenty of other possibilities other than just offering first. I think Georgia Southern actually offered first.
I said first P5.

I was wrong. Not the only reason. Very good point, working with Fleck obviously was key, as was their relationship.

What are we gaining by waiting to offer a guy, that we end up offering anyway, but that guy now has offers and relationships built up with other schools first?

I hope you're not seriously implying that we can "afford" to take advantage of back-yard recruits' natural desire to play for the U (of Minn), by slow playing them??
You gain time to try to fill your roster with players you think are better. Gives you more time to discover other players. You can be in touch and building a relationship without offering a spot. You don’t think there are local players that want to stay home and play for a solid program?

You gain time try to fill your roster with players you think are better. Gives you more time to discover other players. You can be in touch and building a relationship without offering a spot. You don’t think there are local players that want to stay home and play for a solid program?
Is the state of Washington naturally devoid of DL prospects? I mean, we did just sign a guy from there, so guessing not.

So Washington is doing exactly what you just describe with its own in-state DL prospects ... and searching the nation for guys it thinks are better ........... and Martin Owusu is one of those guys ........ but still we need to wait to make sure.

I don't know. Not sure it works for me. But my opinion doesn't mean jack squat. I don't coach the Gophers.

Iowa St and the directional Michigan schools must have the upper hand on hundreds of players throughout the country since they offer everybody.

There is more to recruiting than being the first to offer. Is it cool and exciting for the kid? Yes. Is it the most important factor? No even close.

Iowa St and the directional Michigan schools must have the upper hand on hundreds of players throughout the country since they offer everybody.

There is more to recruiting than being the first to offer. Is it cool and exciting for the kid? Yes. Is it the most important factor? No even close.
Do you consider Washington to be at the level of Iowa State and directional Michigan schools?

Honest question. Just asking.

Is there any school in the country, whereby if they had offered a 3/4* in-state kid before the Gophers had, you would be like "huh ... wonder how they beat us out to offering him ...?" or no? No school, USC, Michigan, anyone?

OK, I'm wrong. Not the sole reason.

We are not talking about some can't miss prospect here. Owusu has some power 5 offers but we are his fist Big Ten offer.

We had a new DL coach come on board so that might have delayed some DL offers. Could be any number of reasons for why we waited till now to offer.

I really don't think it matters that we weren't first.

Is the state of Washington naturally devoid of DL prospects? I mean, we did just sign a guy from there, so guessing not.

So Washington is doing exactly what you just describe with its own in-state DL prospects ... and searching the nation for guys it thinks are better ........... and Martin Owusu is one of those guys ........ but still we need to wait to make sure.

I don't know. Not sure it works for me. But my opinion doesn't mean jack squat. I don't coach the Gophers.
So Washington is doing exactly what we are doing, but you have a problem with what we are doing?

I'm only saying anything, because he's in-state (in metro to boot). There is a sharp, binary distinction between in-state and not.

If he's a 3* in Fargo, Sioux Falls, Eau Claire ... I wouldn't have said peep.

I think it has to be that way, when you're the (singular!) P5 public flagship of a state. That is my opinion.

We must have 10-15 offers out to 3/4* DL in the state of Washington, then.

Glad to hear it.
Lol what? We had an offer out to one, so did Washington. He’s going to Miami, they don’t have another dlineman ranked in there top 19 on 247.

I think you probably gain a bit by being first to offer, but it’s a huge risk. You’re locked into the player, while the player can keep looking. Obviously waiting to the last second to offer is also a huge risk. It’s still early in the recruiting process.

Top Bottom