Press Conference

Sorry I missed that part. What did my close personal friend Sid say?

Blabbing about how he never thought the University would never do something so stupid as to fire the coach in the middle of the season...then named off all the bad gaffs during the game yesterday and seeming sarcastically saying it was Brew's fault. It was hilarious, Weber just smiled, didn't say anything, and reporters laughed.

Sid basically said the same rant as he said on WCCO this morning.

I think a reporter at the end said, Sid that's not a question, then they moved on to the next question.

Blabbing about how he never thought the University would never do something so stupid as to fire the coach in the middle of the season...then named off all the bad gaffs during the game yesterday and seeming sarcastically saying it was Brew's fault. It was hilarious, Weber just smiled, didn't say anything, and reporters laughed.

You have to admit, Sid sticks to his guns

Thanks for info

I thought Maturi was a little vague on how much pressure was put on him by the higher ups at the U. Basic intuition says to me that the Pres was not happy and wanted something done.

Also, I wish he would have elaborated on the comment about a search committee. He said something like "If your looking for a coordinator or a mid-level head coach you can do that (hire a committee), but if your looking for a top-tier coach you cannot".

Any thoughts on why that would be?

Also, what was his opening statement like, I missed the very beginning.

Big Ten Network cut it off after Maturi -- is there a video upload of Horton/Weber?

I thought Maturi was a little vague on how much pressure was put on him by the higher ups at the U. Basic intuition says to me that the Pres was not happy and wanted something done.

Also, I wish he would have elaborated on the comment about a search committee. He said something like "If your looking for a coordinator or a mid-level head coach you can do that (hire a committee), but if your looking for a top-tier coach you cannot".

Best thing said for was this. And I took it to mean he was going after a big name. No more screwing around ..every regent should have been forced to watch what happened last night in Madison. That needs to happen at TCF.

I also found it interesting about the timing of when he was hired...didn't sound like he wanted that timing. Like Mason forced his hand. Maybe Joel can get this right. Gotta think he is going to feel out and see if Richt wants to come to Mpls.Tubby was at GA before too.

Only thing he said was he couldn't pay meyer or saban money..how much is that?

GM

He at least gave very strong hints he wants this to be his hire and his alone. He made very strong statements declaring that top level candidates would decline to interview with committees.

Search committee's take forever, names leak, coaches who are employed will not interview, not a stealth approach.

He at least gave very strong hints he wants this to be his hire and his alone. He made very strong statements declaring that top level candidates would decline to interview with committees.

Thats rough though because we are once again putting all our faith in Maturi to make the decision. And we got burned on that last time.

if this is the case, where its Maturi's lone decision, then I hope he gets a can't miss, no brainer, applicant.

Sid said this was a stupid decision to fire a coach midseason.

Also, he went on to say that the Gophers should have won the game against Purdue yesterday. Only a error by Tinsly and an INT by Weber were to Blame and Brewster had nothing to do with that.

good summary, except you forgot to mention that Sid sounded like he was having a stroke throughout the rant. You could hear the EMTs rolling the gurney through the front door in the background.

Best thing said for was this. And I took it to mean he was going after a big name. No more screwing around ..every regent should have been forced to watch what happened last night in Madison. That needs to happen at TCF.

I also found it interesting about the timing of when he was hired...didn't sound like he wanted that timing. Like Mason forced his hand. Maybe Joel can get this right. Gotta think he is going to feel out and see if Richt wants to come to Mpls.Tubby was at GA before too.

GM

He also said he was prepared to spend more money on HC when Brewster was hired but that was an appropriate rate for someone with his experience. Stated that the pay of the assistants is competative...or something to that effect.

Frazier, Trestman, Bellotti. I'd be happy with any of those three.

Frazier, Trestman, Bellotti. I'd be happy with any of those three.

Maybe Maturi will have a Jerry Jones/Randy Moss moment.

Jones never forgave himself for passing on Moss in the draft. Maturi passed on Trestman, I believe, in favor of Brewster.

If Moss ever became a FA Jones would probably be all over him (at the end of the year maybe) to try and correct the mistake. Maybe Maturi will hire Trestman to make up for his mistake.:clap:

I'm not sold on Trestman, but 1) Dungy suggested him, 2) he's a Minnesota native, 3) he's a former Gopher, 4) he's raping the CFL as a HC with title game appearances every year.

You can't just ignore that.

Gutless Sid

What drove me nuts was the fact that he didn't ask a question, he just used the Press Conference as a way to get on his soap box to state that it wasn't Brewster's fault that the team made all those mistakes yesterday! *DUH* If they wouldn't have made those mistakes, they would have won!..Yes, Sid, and if your Aunt had balls, she'd be your UNCLE!..Holy CRAP he is hard to take...and he didn't even have the guts to make his comments in front of Maturi, he purposely waited until Joel had left the podium and Adam Weber was up there. Totally classless in my opinion. BTW, I thought Adam and Coach Horton showed a LOT of class...I wish them well.

Data:

Trestman coached for nearly 30 years before becoming a head coach and he had to go to Quebec to manage that. Granted, Montreal is pretty much synonymous with football....

What drove me nuts was the fact that he didn't ask a question, he just used the Press Conference as a way to get on his soap box to state that it wasn't Brewster's fault that the team made all those mistakes yesterday! *DUH* If they wouldn't have made those mistakes, they would have won!..Yes, Sid, and if your Aunt had balls, she'd be your UNCLE!..Holy CRAP he is hard to take...and he didn't even have the guts to make his comments in front of Maturi, he purposely waited until Joel had left the podium and Adam Weber was up there. Totally classless in my opinion. BTW, I thought Adam and Coach Horton showed a LOT of class...I wish them well.

I always miss the good parts.

Maybe if I stayed till closing in the bars it would help.

Funny thing too is when the new coach is hired he will be Sid's new best friend. And as soon as the Gophers have a losing streak, or things arn't going great, he is going to mock us all and say "Well I guess its time to fire the coach"

I'm not sold on Trestman, but 1) Dungy suggested him

Did he? The only thing I've seen where Dungy even mentioned Trestman was this:

Dungy shot down reports the University of Minnesota is looking at him as their next coach. The school is reportedly interested in Dungy and former NFL coordinator Marc Trestman.
"I have not and you can tell whoever wrote that story that they need to focus on Marc Trestman," Dungy said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/130021/index.html

The context indicates he wasn't suggesting Trestman; rather he was saying that he wasn't interested, so if the U is interested in one of the two, they should concentrate on Trestman.

GM

OMG, did anyone just hear Sid's question/comment??? WTF???? LOLOLOL

I agree, that was one of the more enjoyable moments of the press conference. Sounded like the inane ramblings of a senile old man. Perfectly sums up Sid at this point.

Top Bottom