President Bruininks Has Cancer

Iceland12

Reaction score
I thought that someone should note this. Maybe it was on one of the other boards.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 9:38am CST
University of Minnesota president Bruininks has prostate cancerMinneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal - by John Vomhof Jr. Staff Writer

Bob Bruininks
View Larger University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks announced Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with stage 1 prostate cancer.

Bruininks, who was named the Business Journal’s Executive of the Year in 2009, plans to undergo surgery on Feb. 1. He said his work schedule may be “somewhat limited” in February, but he expects to resume his regular schedule after a few weeks of recuperation.

“We are fortunate to have found it in its early stages, and my condition is highly treatable with an excellent prognosis for a quick and complete recovery,” Bruininks wrote in a letter to colleagues that was posted on his Web site.

Bruininks said he will continue to serve as the university’s president until June 2011, when he will transition back to a faculty position, as previously announced.

“We are fortunate to have found it in its early stages, and my condition is highly treatable with an excellent prognosis for a quick and complete recovery,” Bruininks wrote in a letter to colleagues that was posted on his Web site.

Bruininks said he will continue to serve as the university’s president until June 2011, when he will transition back to a faculty position, as previously announced.

U of M President

Hope his recovery is swift and complete. He is the only U of M president that has backed the athletic department up 100%. None of the past presidents ever did that. See you again soon Mr. President.

Go Gophers!!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for president Bruininks! His leadership has given the Gopher faithful renewed hope.

That's a shame

I've had several run-ins with Dr. Bruininks, both sober and when I was completely wasted after football games! He was always great. It's his job to deal with students, but he always seemed to enjoy being around students who enjoyed themselves.

I hope its treatable and he finds good health once again. He's an asset to the school and state.

It's very treatable...they now have a minimally invasive surgery for this which would basically cause him to miss a few days of work and he would be fine. Catching prostate cancer this early makes it a cinch. My father was diagnosed with stage one about 5 years ago and he had his surgery at Mayo and was back at work a couple of days later. Glad they caught it early.

University of Minnesota president Bruininks has prostate cancerMinneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal - by John Vomhof Jr. Staff Writer

Bob Bruininks
University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks announced Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with stage 1 prostate cancer.

Prayers for Bruininks full and speedy recovery.

Praying for a speedy and full recovery for President Bruininks. He is doing things for the athletic department I had never dared hope for. Best wishes.

My father had prostate cancer, and at his age (77), they didn't recommend surgery, but he had radiation that seems to have eliminated it.

Top Bottom