vs Northwestern - W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - W
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - W
vs Iowa - L

6-6 (3-5); I just don't know where we'll get the offensive pop from yet.

MarQueis Gray

@ MTSU - W - though I can see it going either way
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - W - Possible Loss
@ Wisconsin - L - I can see a W here
@ Purdue - W
vs Penn St - W
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L - I can see a win here
@ Illinois - W - I can see a loss here
vs Iowa - L

7-5 (4-4), 9-3 is a possibility, as is 3-9.

I see us winning one of the big four home games - Penn State is my best guess, though I think it could come against anyone.

6-6 or 5-7. I hope for the former, fear the latter. We get ambushed at M. Tennessee and lose to the big boys, including Wisconsin and Iowa. Some games are tossups (Northwestern, Illinois) and maybe we upset somebody at home for a sixth win. My big fear is we suffer from graduations on the defense and try to run a dull version of the Wisconsin offense, with our pony backs bouncing off opposing D-lines and Weber no better at moving the team than last season - with Gray not playing much until things get desperate near the end of the season.

@ MTSU - W
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - W
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - W
vs Iowa - L

6-6 - Possibly 5-7 looking out for NW and Pur.

Team has talent but still lacks execution.

The Gophers may be inexperienced on defense but I think they will be very athletic. I also think everyone needs to stop hating Weber. He did as well as anyone could last year with no real offensive coordinator. I think he will flourish under Horton.

I think 8-4 is doable with losses to USC, Ohio State, Penn St and Iowa. At worst the Gophers will be 7-5.

Gotta love the off season. :drink:

Apparently I watched a different O-line last year. Add that to losing the best D in the past 10 seasons...
@ MTSU - W
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - L
vs Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - L
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - W
vs Iowa - L

3-9 (1-7).

I agree, but rarely any slack is given due to the schedule. 6-6 without marquee wins will be seen/reported as a step back. See 2009.

Sagarin Ratings SOS from the past 12 seasons

2009: 26
2008: 79
2007: 54
2006: 19
2005: 12
2004: 69
2003: 69
2002: 62
2001: 60
2000: 73
1999: 40
1998: 19

Don't see anything for early projections this year, but guessing we'll be similar in rank this year vs. last. You can read all you want into this. Last year was a much harder schedule on paper than 2008, but if you buy that argument, the improvement in 2008 can be discounted because the SOS was 50% weaker than the year prior?

Fact of the matter is, the SOS will look worse if we actually beat teams as our wins will degrade the W-L of the teams we beat, thus lowering our SOS.

None of this matters, it is all just excuses. Clean up the execution and play with discipline and win. That is what matters.

For what it is worth, I'm wavering between 4-8 and 5-7 based on what we know right now, which ain't much, but it is going to be harder to replace the entire D than we want it to be, and the fact of the matter is, no matter who is playing QB, without significant improvment in the line play, no holes for the RBs and running for your life at QB isn't a winning formula.

My Prediction

@ MTSU - W
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - W
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - W
@ Wisconsin - W
@ Purdue - W
vs Penn St - W
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - L
vs Iowa - W

9-3 right now +/- 3 wins.

@ MTSU - W
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - W
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - W
@ Wisconsin - W
@ Purdue - L
vs Penn St - W
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - W
vs Iowa - W

9-3, prediction changed due to spring practice update.

@ MTSU - L
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - L
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - L
vs Iowa - L

I'm going 2-10 with a range anywhere from 1-11 to 6-6.

Interesting the level of optimism here based on where we were at last year and the holes we have to fill. Maybe optimism is based on the fact that during the offseason it's just the die-hards on here and so many have unrealistic expectations. 12-0? 9-3? Seriously? Did some of you people watch any of the games last year?

I took my own look at the season to figure out if season tickets worth it this year. Cost for the family is pretty damn high considering the product we're purchasing. Based on number of friends renewing and based on guarded optimism, we did renew, but my guess is by midseason tickets will be half price on the street.

Hope I'm wrong, but time will tell...

@ MTSU - L
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - L
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - L
vs Iowa - L

Interesting the level of optimism here based on where we were at last year and the holes we have to fill. Maybe optimism is based on the fact that during the offseason it's just the die-hards on here and so many have unrealistic expectations. 12-0? 9-3? Seriously? Did some of you people watch any of the games last year?

I took my own look at the season to figure out if season tickets worth it this year. Cost for the family is pretty damn high considering the product we're purchasing. Based on number of friends renewing and based on guarded optimism, we did renew, but my guess is by midseason tickets will be half price on the street.

9 posts with the misleading moniker GopherAlly. I smell a troll. PantherHawk is back.

Are you dumb? Yeah, I don't post much, but you can read my posts. If you question whether or not I'm a troll, go back and read a couple of posts.

Obviously I'm not as optimistic as you about the upcoming season and let's leave it at that. You are obviously passionate about this and clearly want the team to do well. We all do. I just am a little more pessimistic after year after year of sitting in those seats and seeing us lose game after game.

I was in Penn State to see us beat 3rd ranked PSU, I was in OSU to see us beat a Buckeye team on the way to the national championship. I've been to bowl games in Miami and El Paso. Yes, El Paso. I went to probably the crappiest town in the USA to watch a bowl game. On the millenium NYE. So, yes, I am a Gopher fan. And I don't think that me not thinking we're going to the Rose Bowl (again) should be reason to question whether or not I'm a fan. I'm a fan, just not as optimistic as you.

Go Gophs! And please, some day during my life play in the Rose Bowl. I'm getting old.

And "GopherAlly" would probably be the closest with his 2-10 pick that he got ripped for. I predicted 4-8 before the season started, but I thought they should be able to beat South Dakota and Northern Illinois, too. I guess the rose-colored glasses are off for a lot of people about now......

Well, that was a tragic read. Glad I abstained from prognostication this time.

There must have been another prediction thread because I'm pretty sure I predicted a 1 win season :\

@ MTSU -W (this is the game that will show if/how much the Gophers have improved
vs South Dakota -W
vs USC - L (but I think the Gophers have a better chance than people think)
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - W
@ Wisconsin - W (Their D-line won't be as good without O'Brien S, and our O-line will be better.
@ Purdue - W (they have had a rash of spring injuries, and it looks like their best player Bolden might be out for the year)
vs Penn St - W (at home with a new, young, inexperienced QB)
vs Ohio St -L
@ MSU -L (this will be next year's truly flukey loss, a weird reminder that the Gophers have improved but aren't quite there yet)
@ Illinois - W
vs Iowa-L (Gophers have a shot here, but next year is going to be Iowa's best team for a long time. If the Gophers win this game Brewster will have more than earned his meager extension)

8-4 (5-3 Big Ten) --Next year will be the pleasant surprise that leads into the monster years of 2011-2012 when the Gophers will contend for the Big Ten Title and MarQueis Gray will be one of the most feared QBs in the nation.

Hoping you are right on the 2011-2012 part at least...

Wow. This one hurt to read through.. lol

And "GopherAlly" would probably be the closest with his 2-10 pick that he got ripped for. I predicted 4-8 before the season started, but I thought they should be able to beat South Dakota and Northern Illinois, too. I guess the rose-colored glasses are off for a lot of people about now......

Ha ha that was pure ownage.

@ MTSU - L
vs South Dakota - W
vs USC - L
vs NIU - W
vs Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Purdue - L
vs Penn St - L
vs Ohio St - L
@ MSU - L
@ Illinois - L
vs Iowa - L

Ha Ha this was great to read. Lauging my as.s off the whole time because of how right you were.

Top Bottom