Pre-Season NIL Tournaments

topos

Reaction score

"A first-of-its-kind men’s college basketball tournament launching this fall will offer up to $2 million in name, image, and likeness deals to participating teams."

It looks like the rich will get richer...

What a joke. Perfect example of the farce "NIL" has become in college football and basketball. Great recruiting tool for those schools though I guess.....

At what point do we just drop the NIL charade and call it what it is?

Last edited:

What a joke. Perfect example of the farce "NIL" has become in college football and basketball. Great recruiting tool for those schools though I guess.....

At what point do we just drop up the NIL charade and just call it what it is?
This has been my argument all along. Stop trying to differentiate NIL from pay for play or whatever else. Just open the doors and let people get paid whatever others are willing to pay them.

This has been my argument all along. Stop trying to differentiate NIL from pay for play or whatever else. Just open the doors and let people get paid whatever others are willing to pay them.
And functionally end college sports as we know it. A portion of power 5 have real resources to do that and no one else does. From a different angle it’s time for the real schools to pull out of the pay for play schemes and go back to real college sports and let the others see how a league with maybe 60 schools manages a tournament. Players can decide on cash or an education.

And functionally end college sports as we know it. A portion of power 5 have real resources to do that and no one else does. From a different angle it’s time for the real schools to pull out of the pay for play schemes and go back to real college sports and let the others see how a league with maybe 60 schools manages a tournament. Players can decide on cash or an education.
I'm not calling for the schools to directly compensate players. I'm simply saying if Joe Billionare wants to pay some kid $1M to play for his favorite school, stop trying to interfere with it.

In the abstract, I'm not against that but that would require a full reorganization of college sports (I'll admit, that could be preferable to what we have now). And with that reorganization likely would come a loss of television coverage for those who don't opt into the pro tier. That clearly would impact dollars to the program and fan access and limit recruiting more to your local area because recruits' families in distant areas couldn't watch their children on TV. Unless, of course, ESPN+ would pick up the coverage.

Horrible. Every player's "name, image, and likeness" is used in terms of television broadcasting. But now some are going to get paid for that? It's going to destroy the competitive landscape of college sports. Especially in conjunction with the free transfer portal. Which teams get to play in cash tournaments next year? Congratulations.....draft your team.

Top Bottom