Practice Facility Images

Thanks for posting HHH_Gopher!

I hadn't seen the exterior shots either - it looks awesome!!

I really hope this is further down the pipeline than we are being led to believe.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks. Looks great.

Keep losing parking though.

That is awesome! I really really hope this gets done. What a selling point that would be for recruiting.

I really don't believe it is any further along than the public comments indicate. However, you have to be able to show donors images such as these to garner naming interest.

The bottom line is that this thing is not going to happen unless we see a donation of $7-8 million for building naming rights. I would imagine that they could probably raise another $3-4 million for other naming opportunities (courts, training facility, offices, etc). If you get to the $11-12 million range, then it's probably a go (with the balance financed).

Just need that one big push (paging T. Denny?).

naming rights

I really don't believe it is any further along than the public comments indicate. However, you have to be able to show donors images such as these to garner naming interest.

The bottom line is that this thing is not going to happen unless we see a donation of $7-8 million for building naming rights. I would imagine that they could probably raise another $3-4 million for other naming opportunities (courts, training facility, offices, etc). If you get to the $11-12 million range, then it's probably a go (with the balance financed).

Just need that one big push (paging T. Denny?).

I think the Athletic Dept should consider naming rights deals for Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena & the Sports Pavillion. Tradition is great, but you can't buy any bricks or mortar with it.

Wow, this place looks amazing. Wish it was around when I was on the Women's practice team.

Hmm... what former basketball players have made it big that would consider a donation?

Hmm... what former basketball players have made it big that would consider a donation?

K Hump has to get the settlement with Kim K ironed out....

or we could give Joel P an honorary degree with the Dan Monson autograph on it

Just get the damn thing done. It's hard for me to fathom that ground hasn't been broken yet. Added to the long list of head scratchers in the athletic dept.

Quincy Lewis is working for the U in athletics fundraising- any idea if he is working on this in particular or fundraising in general?

Q

Quincy Lewis is working for the U in athletics fundraising- any idea if he is working on this in particular or fundraising in general?

Quincy stated on Ruesse & Mackey / KSTP a few weeks ago that raising funds for the practice facility was his main job responsibility.

Just get the damn thing done. It's hard for me to fathom that ground hasn't been broken yet. Added to the long list of head scratchers in the athletic dept.

Watch- by the time this thing gets done 5 years from now, we will be talking about how the Barn either needs major renovations for us to compete or we need to build a new arena. I wish there was a master plan. This may sound stupid but now may be the time to squeeze into the Vikings deal and see if some money can be funneled the U's way for a future arena and practice facility complex. No harm in trying. Might get 10 million out of the Wilfs as a slide greaser...

Kohl was built for 78 million per Wiki which translate to a bit over $100 mil in todays dollars. That's tip money in the Viking deal.

Watch- by the time this thing gets done 5 years from now, we will be talking about how the Barn either needs major renovations for us to compete or we need to build a new arena. I wish there was a master plan. This may sound stupid but now may be the time to squeeze into the Vikings deal and see if some money can be funneled the U's way for a future arena and practice facility complex. No harm in trying. Might get 10 million out of the Wilfs as a slide greaser...

Kohl was built for 78 million per Wiki which translate to a bit over $100 mil in todays dollars. That's tip money in the Viking deal.
State does have ~800 million in surplus.

Have people donate(large and small) to the Fire Maturi Fund, there should be plenty leftover to fund the practice facility.:)

I think all GopherHolers should donate to the "GopherHole Sports Facility" fund by digging deep and donate to GopherHole. Then the millions raised can in turn be turned over to the U for the facility.

I will say it again...we should really be trying to get an entire new facility to replace the Barn that includes all the necessary courts, offices, training and classroom facilities. Keep the raised floor and have the front facade look like the barn...but a new 18000 seat arena with two full practice courts and all the trimmings would be awesome on that site to go with our new football stadium. Not gonna happen...but it is my preference.

I will say it again...we should really be trying to get an entire new facility to replace the Barn that includes all the necessary courts, offices, training and classroom facilities. Keep the raised floor and have the front facade look like the barn...but a new 18000 seat arena with two full practice courts and all the trimmings would be awesome on that site to go with our new football stadium. Not gonna happen...but it is my preference.

While we are talking pie in the sky- when new Mariuci was built, it should have been built as a larger multi-purpose arena with all the amenities. The U would have minimized facility expenses, maximized income potential, and had more open space for projects such as practice facilities, if they hadn't tagged along naturally with such a project. Along the way, building Ridder Arena should have been dismissed, replacing Siebert would never have been considered, dead weight programs eliminated and Brewster never hired. But we are talking pie in the sky.

While we are talking pie in the sky- when new Mariuci was built, it should have been built as a larger multi-purpose arena with all the amenities. The U would have minimized facility expenses, maximized income potential, and had more open space for projects such as practice facilities, if they hadn't tagged along naturally with such a project. Along the way, building Ridder Arena should have been dismissed, replacing Siebert would never have been considered, dead weight programs eliminated and Brewster never hired. But we are talking pie in the sky.

Small, piecemeal thinking like this is part of the reason why we are so ecstatic with waiting for a Tidy Bowl bid in football of sitting on the edge of our seats every so often on Selection Sunday waiting to see if we are last four in or out. No big strategy to win in the major sports. React to a disaster or do nothing.

Top Bottom