PP: Why did Gophers running back Zach Evans not play to start season?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

“(Evans) didn’t do anything wrong; he just had to keep getting better and be more consistent,” Fleck told the Pioneer Press. “The minute he became more consistent, that was the only thing he was missing. Then he jumped guys. He had his opportunity, and took advantage of it.”

Go Gophers!!

Did he get better this week in one week? I honestly think we wouldn't have seen him if Darius was still playing...I feel like he may have been getting better at whatever PJ wanted him to, but Darius' injury forced PJ to compromise and play him.

TV announcers said he was working through an injury. I suppose they could have been talking out their ass too…

I don’t care. The kid looks like he could be an excellent RB.

Whatever the reason, Evans is still here. I personally believe the public is making more out of it than they should.

There is a reason and Fleck isn’t being forthcoming about it. That’s his usual MO.

Whatever it is, he’s back now and he deserves to keep getting carries even with Taylor.

Having them both fresh can only possibly be a good thing.

Did he get better this week in one week? I honestly think we wouldn't have seen him if Darius was still playing...I feel like he may have been getting better at whatever PJ wanted him to, but Darius' injury forced PJ to compromise and play him.
David Cobb didn't get his chance to play until another RB made a mistake. This kind of thing isn't unique to PJ.

David Cobb didn't get his chance to play until another RB made a mistake. This kind of thing isn't unique to PJ.
And Cobb got buried by Kill for a season after he fumbled (or maybe it was a missed block) in a game. Whatever it is, Evans and Taylor should be splitting 30-40 carries a game with in-game situations (or whomever has the hot hand) dictating if someone should be getting a few more touches. Fleck really has this penchant for running one back into the ground.

Whatever the reason, Evans is still here. I personally believe the public is making more out of it than they should.
Probably right about making more out of it, but it is interesting. If Evans hadn’t done much in his opportunity, we’d be hearing more along the lines of, “see, Fleck was correct, he isn’t ready”. Coming off the loss, the injury to Taylor, the heavy load on Darius, kind of all led to it.

Consistency in a week vs everyone else?

I could see that call being made.

There’s only one ball.

That’s why guys should be careful about following a NIL gravy train to the same few programs. Only one player can carry the ball at a time.

There are many really talented RBs who would have led their team in rushing and gone on to play in the NFL if they got the chance to be the guy. Lots of guys who did everything right in college, had tons of talent, and never carried the ball more than a handful of times in a season.

The difference between a chain of events leading to being an anonymous college backup or a first round pick in millions of fantasy drafts is often rather thin.

He wasn't getting it. Fleck said he played in the Sunday night game last week. That means to me he was in the doghouse. The next man up mentality won out and he proved he can play. Hopefully it's all good going forward.

I'm a huge ZE fan. He's got great balance, field awareness, and speed. The pure running, he has it down.

**One thing that Fleck demands of his RBs is blocking. ZE doesn't have that awareness yet. He missed several blocks on Saturday, so that will continue to be an issue.

Last edited:

Trying to figure this out is like nailing jello to the wall. Might as well not bother and just wait for the tell-all once/if regime changes occur.

He looked great in the practices I attended. It's certainly a head scratcher. Nice to hopefully have a great 1-2 punch at RB.
Had Evans been used some in the NW game, his fresh legs, and maybe Darius’s less abused legs would probably have given us the TOP offensive possessions we needed in the 4th Q to beat NW, even with the incredible defensive meltdown. The thing about running a single back excessively all game long is that he most likely has a lot less in the tank at crunch time, late 4Q, when you are relying on him almost solely to win the game for you. Anyway, I’m glad that Evans has suddenly and miraculously moved up the depth chart. 🧐

He wasn't getting it. Fleck said he played in the Sunday night game last week. That means to me he was in the doghouse. The next man up mentality won out and he proved he can play. Hopefully it's all good going forward.
Yet Redding continues to return punts? I think it’s obvious that doghouse stuff is bs.

Yet Redding continues to return punts? I think it’s obvious that doghouse stuff is bs.

Probably an underrated talking point. Feel bad for the young man but his mistakes were incredibly damaging, and his return efforts have been mediocre. PJ seems to adopt certain players hell or high water. The question is, do you tolerate those types of mistakes and does the downstream upside (assuming he improves) benefit the team. Not sure.

Redding's downed punt in Northwestern and catching the kickoff out of bounds last week are both unexplainable and boneheaded... Almost makes you wonder if he has family down in Iowa that have taught him about sports betting.

Hush…

Redding's downed punt in Northwestern and catching the kickoff out of bounds last week are both unexplainable and boneheaded... Almost makes you wonder if he has family down in Iowa that have taught him about sports betting.
You’re an idiot. Without doubt.

Trying to figure this out is like nailing jello to the wall. Might as well not bother and just wait for the tell-all once/if regime changes occur.
Right…

I'm a huge ZE fan. He's got great balance, field awareness, and speed. The pure running, he has it down.

**One thing that Fleck demands of his RBs is blocking. ZE doesn't have that awareness yet. He missed several blocks on Saturday, so that will continue to be an issue.
He also had a few huge blocks on blitzing DB’s that gave Athan time to complete passes

This is one of the worst things that sports fans do - getting personal with college athletes, casting aspersions. You're crossing a boundary that you shouldn't cross, and you can't excuse it by referring to sarcasm.

I think Taylor is a better overall running back but watching Evans it appears he has a burst and quickness that DT doesn't have.

Not getting your QB killed is important - was pass blocking a mystery to him? It sometimes is for those used to being "The Man".

Getting off topic a bit but I don't understand why Sean Tyler isn't returning kickoffs. He was good last year for Western Michigan. Redding is fine returning punts. He catches the ball and that's the main thing.
My guess is we're not super deep at RB so PJ doesn't want to risk the injury.

Getting off topic a bit but I don't understand why Sean Tyler isn't returning kickoffs. He was good last year for Western Michigan. Redding is fine returning punts. He catches the ball and that's the main thing.
Ryan Burns made the same point quite passionately Sunday on Gopher Gridiron podcast.

Regarding that podcast, Derek Burns analysis is always so good. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Top Bottom