PP Marcus; Tubby says second team is better than his starters

Jon

Reaction score
Tubby says second team is better than his starters
By Marcus Fuller on November 23, 2010 8:49 PM

A big reason why the Gophers were crowned champions at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last week was because they proved to have the deepest team in the field.

Minnesota coach Tubby Smith has as much confidence in his starters as he does a second team that consists of freshmen Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin, Austin Hollins and Maurice Walker and junior Colton Iverson. The starters are Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, Rodney Williams, Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson III.

"There's not much of a drop-off, so it puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team," Smith said after practice Tuesday. "The second unit beats the first unit lots of times in practice, especially with Devoe (Joseph) on that team. In fact, they're probably better."

It was surprising to hear Smith say that about his second team, but it makes sense when you add Joseph to the mix. Joseph, the team's best offensive player, has been suspended indefinitely to start the season, but he is allowed to practice.

"I like it that way," Smith said about his starters being pushed every practice. "If they're not performing, then they know we've got someone to plug it in. I think the great teams that won championships have that."

I agree with Smith that it is a sign of a great team to have players coming off the bench work even harder than the starters. That could make up for games when the Gophers just have a flat start -- and you know that will happen a few times this season.

Nolen admitted that the starters have gotten run off the court by the reserves this season in practice because of their intensity.

"It happens sometimes," he said. "The second team comes out with a lot of energy and really pushes us in practice. Those guys do a good job of getting us ready for the game. I think we need that."

-- Hoffarber, the team captain, said Joseph texted him throughout the Puerto Rico Tip-Off while the Gophers were making a run to the title.

"He was excited for us," Hoffarber said. "He couldn't wait for us to come back, so he could get back out here and practice with us."

Hoffarber said Joseph looked great in the team's first practice since the trip Tuesday.

"He was doing well," he said. "He's always been a great player. He's definitely having fun out there."

-- There has been a little buzz outside the team that Joseph could return even before the Virginia game Nov. 29 at home. I've heard it's still either against Virginia or the next game. But Smith said Tuesday he really didn't know when Joseph would be back. So I guess it could mean any time.

"I've got to do some evaluation of what he did academically last week and going forward," Smith said.

-- Hoffarber rolled his ankle at the end of Tuesday's practice. Smith said he needed to get an update on it to know how serious it was, but I don't think it will prevent Hoffarber from playing Wednesday against North Dakota State.

-- West Virginia forward Kevin Jones had praise for former Minnesota Transitions standout and current Mountaineers freshman Kevin Noreen.

The 6-foot-10 Noreen scored his first basket of the season against the Gophers and finished with four points and two rebounds in six minutes Sunday in the championship game in Puerto Rico.

"He's going to be great for us, especially if he keeps on working," Jones said. "Coaches showed a lot of faith in him getting him in the game. He went out there and showed coach he could play and he can hang with us. I'm proud of him, and I'm sure he'll see more playing time in the future."

-- I remember North Dakota State freshman Marshall Bjorklund from the Minnesota Magic AAU team. The former Sibley East High School standout reminded me a lot of Iverson at that age. Iverson was actually around Bjorklund's size (6-8, 230 pounds) until a late growth spurt in high school.

Bjorklund has played well this season while averaging 9.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and one block a game. He also had 18 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in a 97-92 season-opening loss to Oregon.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/11/tubby-says-second-team-is-bett.html

Devoe pg or sg?

So when Devoe is playing with the second team is he playing point or shooting guard? Who get more time with him, Mav or Chip? Can Chip play any point guard?

I also wonder where Devoe is playing. Maybe he redshirts this year so he can concentrate on PG the next two years.

While I'm sure the second unit is much better with Devoe, this is still clearly an attempt by Tubby to motivate his starters and not a genuine comment. Not that there's anythign wrong with that.

While I'm sure the second unit is much better with Devoe, this is still clearly an attempt by Tubby to motivate his starters and not a genuine comment. Not that there's anythign wrong with that.
Agreed. If the 2nd unit is that much better why were the starters getting 80% of the playing time, with 3-4 of them consistently logging 30+ minutes in the first 5 games so far?

He just doesn't want the guys to be satisfied with their play, and motivate them to keep improving I guess.

I would be surprised if Devoe red shirted

I would be surprised if Devoe red shirted unless he has off the court issues that persist. Next year Andre and Joe are going to be in the mix so other than an experience drop off maybe even more competition for playing time. Here is the box score from Andre's 3rd game. They are 4-0 now.

Game #3 @ White Station High School November 22, 2010
Martin Luther King Tournament
White Station 85 Kingsbury 48
Kingsbury: Quadarrious Chambers-6, Jamal Shanklin-2, Antonio
O'Neal-8, Prentiss Jordan-13, Lenon Moore-2, Antonio Cussic-10,
Sherrard McNutt-6, Zach Chun-1.
White Station: Davell Roby-3, Tevin Gates-3, William Woodfork-2,
Devin Thornton-2, Larry Spicer-7, Andre Hollins-17, Nino
Johnson-15, Rodriguez Tucker-6, Marvin Williams-8, LaRon
Black-18, Byron Wilson-2, Kyle George-2.

(N/A) Kingsbury 08 - 12 - 14 - 14 / 48
(3-0) White Station 29 - 26 - 19 - 11 / 85

http://www.whitestationhoops.com/10-11.html

So when Devoe is playing with the second team is he playing point or shooting guard? Who get more time with him, Mav or Chip? Can Chip play any point guard?

I assume Tubby was referring: Devoe Joseph, Chip Armelin, Austin Hollins and Maurice Walker and junior Colton Iverson as his "probably better" second squad.

Yep, that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the quote.

And I don't think there is any chance Joseph gets redshirted this year.

Joseph may be our "best" player, but he is not the most valuable. This past weekend proved that.

Our top 5 players on this team in no particular order:
Nolen
Hoffarber
Joseph
Iverson
Mbkwe

Next two:
Sampson
Williams

IMO Mbkwe, Nolen, or Hoffarber are playing much more consistent this year and are much more valuable to our success.

If Joseph ever wants to be in that group he needs to pass the joint, and concentrate on the season. I don't buy his problems as academic.

Tubby knows the 1st team is more experienced and certainly better at this point. But, he did say the 2nd team was playing better because they are sticking to fundamentals. He want to see his starters keep their heads in the game and do the little things that win games.
This thread did not start being about Joseph. but, I think he is going to play the point a lot this year.

Joseph may be our "best" player, but he is not the most valuable. This past weekend proved that.

Our top 5 players on this team in no particular order:
Nolen
Hoffarber
Joseph
Iverson
Mbkwe

Next two:
Sampson
Williams

IMO Mbkwe, Nolen, or Hoffarber are playing much more consistent this year and are much more valuable to our success.

If Joseph ever wants to be in that group he needs to pass the joint, and concentrate on the season. I don't buy his problems as academic.

Good points.

I take nothing from that statement. The young guys need confidence and to know that their coach has faith in them and the older guys need to be pushed to keep working hard. Simple as that

Just think how deep we will be next year in the backcourt....Devoe, Chip, Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman, and Maverick

Top Bottom