PP: Gophers hope transfer will fix place-kicking problems

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

“We are kind of starting a little bit slower than we did in the past, rotating days, where only two kickers kick on one day,” head coach P.J. Fleck said Saturday. “… We didn’t want to kick them all a ton in the beginning and all of sudden we are dead in the middle of camp. We are progressing up to (this) week, which I think is going to be a healthy dose of the kicking competition.”

Go Gophers!!

How does it go...? Hope is not a plan? I say just go for it on all 4th downs.

i mean it can't get worse can it?

i mean it can't get worse can it?

I don't see how. Matthew Trickett was one of the very best kickers in college football two years ago (he only had 6 attempts in 2020). While not having as good of a record as Trickett, the transfer kicker from Temple was still better than what we had the last two years.

I'm actually hopeful this year the kicking won't be terrible. Matthew Trickett seems to be a very solid addition, based on previous stats. He even punted his freshman year for a tolerable average, which is a nice backup to have, considering last year when Crawford couldn't go the punting was abysmal.
Capture1.JPG
Assuming Michael Lantz is healthy again, he was pretty solid at 40 and under FG's.

Capture2.JPG

The lone bright spot in the kicking game last year was the emergence of Dragan being able to boot kickoffs into the endzone. He had 9 touchbacks in 22 kickoffs (41%), which is far and away better than I can remember in a long time. Maybe it's sad how low our expectations are, but I'm excited to have a guy that can actually boot a kickoff into the endzone and not always set up the other team for a nice return.

I'm actually hopeful this year the kicking won't be terrible. Matthew Trickett seems to be a very solid addition, based on previous stats. He even punted his freshman year for a tolerable average, which is a nice backup to have, considering last year when Crawford couldn't go the punting was abysmal.
View attachment 13681
Assuming Michael Lantz is healthy again, he was pretty solid at 40 and under FG's.

View attachment 13682

The lone bright spot in the kicking game last year was the emergence of Dragan being able to boot kickoffs into the endzone. He had 9 touchbacks in 22 kickoffs (41%), which is far and away better than I can remember in a long time. Maybe it's sad how low our expectations are, but I'm excited to have a guy that can actually boot a kickoff into the endzone and not always set up the other team for a nice return.
The article above says Michael Lantz left the team.

Yup...don't even give them a chance to return. Just kick it through the goalposts and crush their spirit (okay, I might be getting carried away).
It drove me mad when Santoso had the leg to do it but the coaches insisted he drop it in the coffin corner to pin them back. Hardly ever worked...so many went out of bounds. Santoso may have been the most penalized kicker in the history of college football ...(I'm getting carried away again).

Top Bottom