PP: Gophers could go to bowl game but question remains, is it worth it?

If the gophers win today and Wisconsin loses...it is possible the gophers get capital one bowl invite:

Ohio state New Years 6
Indiana New Years 6
Iowa outback
Minnesota capital one
Wisconsin -whatever is after that

if Minnesota plays Wisconsin a week from today I’d argue the winner is for a capital one or outback bowl birth.

These are the only teams in the big ten that are possibly over or at .500 at the end of the day

In the scenario given. Minnesota would be one of just 4 teams at or above .500

Maryland also in there. But I think Rutgers beats them today.

If the gophers win today and Wisconsin loses...it is possible the gophers get capital one bowl invite:

Ohio state New Years 6
Indiana New Years 6
Iowa outback
Minnesota capital one
Wisconsin -whatever is after that

if Minnesota plays Wisconsin a week from today I’d argue the winner is for a capital one or outback bowl birth.

These are the only teams in the big ten that are possibly over or at .500 at the end of the day

In the scenario given. Minnesota would be one of just 4 teams at or above .500

Maryland also in there. But I think Rutgers beats them today.

This team play in a New Years Day Bowl game? Are you insane?

This team play in a New Years Day Bowl game? Are you insane?
Well, someone has to.
If Iowa, Rutgers, and Minnesota win today. Minnesota is one of just 5 teams at or above .500

Ohio state
Northwestern
Indiana
Iowa

Wisconsin (would be under .500 with a loss today)
Maryland (would be under .500 with a loss today)
Minnesota (would be .500 with a win today)

everyone else is well under .500

Probably would require 3 New Years 6 bowls now that I really look at it.
Minnesota is in line for a decent bowl with a win today though.

This was the official annoucement from the Big Ten for this year, on Oct 30: https://bigten.org/news/2020/10/30/football-2020-21-bowl-season-schedule-announced.aspx

Bowl Season today announced the complete 2020-21 college football bowl schedule, which includes 37 games, beginning December 19. All games will be televised on ESPN channels, with the exception of two bowls to be seen on CBS channels.

The 2020-21 Big Ten bowl schedule and College Football Playoff bowl schedule can be found below.

2020-21 Big Ten Bowl Schedule

Saturday, December 26, 2020Guaranteed Rate BowlPhoenix, AZ10:15 p.m. ETESPN
Tuesday, December 29, 2020New Era Pinstripe BowlNew York, NY2 p.m. ETESPN
Wednesday, December 30, 2020Duke's Mayo BowlCharlotte, NCNoon ETESPN
Wednesday, December 30, 2020TransPerfect Music City BowlNashville, TN3:30 p.m. ETESPN
Friday, January 1, 2021Vrbo Citrus BowlOrlando, FL1 p.m. ETABC
Saturday, January 2, 2021Outback BowlTampa, FL12:30 p.m. ETABC

Pinstripe is the only one to announce it was cancelling, so far. So I would expect the other five to be played at this point, given how much planning/logistics goes into them.

This post-season is also the start of a new round of deals, so I don't believe the "counts" of teams from the previous round matter, for this year.

- OSU and Indiana will likely be in the NY6.
- would expect NW and Iowa ranked top 25 and headed to the Outback and Citrus (the two biggest Big Ten bowls outside the NY6)

After that ..... the remaining 10 teams in the Big Ten currently have two wins. That is incredible. So I have no idea who will get the remaining three spots. But we're in the running, if we manage to win the next two games.

Yes they should go if they get it. That’s extra practices that the team needs for next year. Yes this season is a clown show, but practice for young team is clearly needed

Agree with this to the extent that the players are bought in. Yes, the bowl practices would help, but if they are sick of not seeing their family and can't go home for the holidays otherwise due to COVID, then I would not fault the team for opting out.

I hope they go, I would love to watch them play another game, but not our place to judge that situation. This year has sucked enough as-is, not being able to see their families for whatever holiday they celebrate would be a sacrifice and something that the team needs to buy in on and not the expectation.

If I were a player, I wouldn't really want to and would rather go home and be with family for a while. The Gophers are either going to end the regular season as a losing team or in the climactic euphoria of running around Camp Randall with an Axe.

However, whatever the players collectively want to do should be honored.

Agree with most all of the sentiments here. I think they should go and play to gain the extra practice and the exposure, not to mention the dollars which are important right now.

having said that, I’d leave it up to the players. If they feel it is a health risk and aren’t totally behind the decision to play, I could live with that.

Especially considering they missed two games, they'll absolutely take the bowl invite -- and should! Those ACC teams declining already played 11 games. I get them wanting to throw in the towel rather than go to a meaningless bowl.

Gophers are 3-3 after a horrific start.

Defense is starting to play better.

If we beat Wisconsin next week, you'd better believe we're going bowling.

This team is starting to remind me of the 2018 team.Young. Playing better at the end of the season than they did early. Bowl practices, team experience, confidence building.

Right now, I would be really interested to see how they'd hold up vs. Wisconsin.

Go. Especially if New Years.

Interesting to see standings not being inflated by 2-3 non conference wins.

Go. Especially if New Years.
Won’t be New Years unless some crazy upsets get Iowa and Indiana both into top 12

Win and I think it’s music city?

lose and we are into the giant mass of 2-3 win teams...maybe not even an invite? But it’ll depend on who opts in or out of bowls

Top Bottom