PP: Gophers basketball team needs more from its reserves, and Isaiah Ihnen stepping up

I agree that Ihnen has potential.

But, it would be nice if the Gophers - every once in a while - could land a FR who makes an immediate impact. Other schools bring in FR who start or play major minutes. I don't think it's asking too much for the Gophers to land one kid who isn't a project or a prospect.

I'm not talking about some 5-star McDonald's All-American who will be a one-and-done.

I'm just talking about a FR who can play regular minutes and maybe even get into double figures every now and then.

Instead of "he's going to be a good player next year, or in two years," I just want one kid who is a good player right away. You know, like some of the guys playing HS BB in MN.

But, it would be nice if the Gophers - every once in a while - could land a FR who makes an immediate impact. Other schools bring in FR who start or play major minutes. I don't think it's asking too much for the Gophers to land one kid who isn't a project or a prospect.

I'm not talking about some 5-star McDonald's All-American who will be a one-and-done.

I'm just talking about a FR who can play regular minutes and maybe even get into double figures every now and then.

Instead of "he's going to be a good player next year, or in two years," I just want one kid who is a good player right away. You know, like some of the guys playing HS BB in MN.
Oturu and Coffey in their Fr years were starters and made big impacts for the team, but they were rated around the 50th player in their class. You see with players like Tre and Ihnen who are rated around 100 seem to come in and give minutes but not ready to be starters. However Gabe rated around 200 started every game last year. We have had them recently but are hard to come by and usually means you signed someone in the top 50 (very close to a 5 star player). I think Mash/Mitchell are definitely going to provide solid minutes next year and hopefully sign walton who also can provide minutes.

You would have to go all the way back to last season when we won an NCAA tournament game with two freshmen starters from Minnesota who both averaged double digits.

You're joking, right?

You would have to go all the way back to last season when we won an NCAA tournament game with two freshmen starters from Minnesota who both averaged double digits.

You're joking, right?
Haha! How about

2018-19 oturu(10.8) and kalscheur(10.0)

2017-18 washington(8.7) 20 minutes a game

2016-17 coffey(12.2) and curry 20 minutes a game

2015-16 murphy(11.6) and mcbrayer 23 minutes a game

2014-15 mason(9.8)

Ihnen is going to be a good starting PF for us next year. Love how he is progressing.
Yup. The more I see the more I feel comfortable with him at the PF spot next year. Add in a Junior Omersa and hopefully we can get something out of 10th year senior Curry and maybe the PF spot wont be as bad of spot as we thought for next year. Plus a very raw freshman in Mitchell coming in. Hopefully Ihnen can continue to prove himself and earn minutes the rest of the way this year.

Yup. The more I see the more I feel comfortable with him at the PF spot next year. Add in a Junior Omersa and hopefully we can get something out of 10th year senior Curry and maybe the PF spot wont be as bad of spot as we thought for next year. Plus a very raw freshman in Mitchell coming in. Hopefully Ihnen can continue to prove himself and earn minutes the rest of the way this year.
I wonder... between Ihnen, Omersa, and curry, can we defend (to a serviceable extent) the bulk of centers in the big ten next year? Illinois might clean up against those three... anyone else?

I wonder... between Ihnen, Omersa, and curry, can we defend (to a serviceable extent) the bulk of centers in the big ten next year? Illinois might clean up against those three... anyone else?
Centers? Nah. Curry, if he can come back healthy, I would be the only one I would be comfortable with guarding Centers of those 3.

are you asking this question because of the chances of Oturu not being here next year? If he does go it would be a must for us to sign a serviceable grad Transfer Center for next year

This is a truly strange post.

Cockburn is nearly as likely as Oturu to be gone, IMO.

Centers? Nah. Curry, if he can come back healthy, I would be the only one I would be comfortable with guarding Centers of those 3.

are you asking this question because of the chances of Oturu not being here next year? If he does go it would be a must for us to sign a serviceable grad Transfer Center for next year

yeah, I’m mentally prepared for an Oturu departure.

ihnen handled Reuvers a couple of times, though Reuvers is not a bruiser. His length was effective though. Omersa managed against ward in the NCAA last year. Curry is the most savvy, but he got pushed around last year. Hard to say where his strength will be.

i guess I’m just hopeful we have adequate coverage. Transfer is certainly still a must though.

you mean like Gabe and Oturu last year? Or Coffey a couple years ago? Is that once in a while?

Others have commented on this already, so I won't restate what is already out there. With Ihnen specifically, though, he was delayed a little but by his wrist injury. Had that not occurred I'm guessing he would've gotten some run in the non-con games and would be even further ahead at this point.

Freeman has a bigger body, but must be slow to learn the position, as he isn’t getting minutes.

Others have commented on this already, so I won't restate what is already out there. With Ihnen specifically, though, he was delayed a little but by his wrist injury. Had that not occurred I'm guessing he would've gotten some run in the non-con games and would be even further ahead at this point.
[/QUOTE

Yes! So if he was ready at beginning of year he would be a freshman giving us good minutes along with Tre Williams. Basically whoever has been saying we havent been getting production out of fresman every year getting time and playing meaningful minutes I think is delusional and needs to really do their homework.

Freeman would have to step up fast and put on some muscle in the off-season (I remember hearing that he was a late bloomer and may get even bigger). Hopefully he's learning a thing or two under the tutelage of Oturu and surprises us all next year. Otherwise we definitely need to get another center.

Freeman would have to step up fast and put on some muscle in the off-season (I remember hearing that he was a late bloomer and may get even bigger). Hopefully he's learning a thing or two under the tutelage of Oturu and surprises us all next year. Otherwise we definitely need to get another center.
I've always wondered about everyone who says what are we gonna do without oturu next year! Nobody has mentioned freeman who has a big ten body and has had practice everyday against an NBA player. Everybody just goes right to we need a grad transfer! Pitino and his staff are not stupid. Correct me if I'm wrong later. Freeman or anybody wont be oturu next year, but we can m as ke it work.

He's already got the good energy player down pat, its the putting the ball in the hole like you say that i hope he gets better at!
Anyone besides me notice how his free throw shooting form has improved. At the start of the year his free throw shooting was almost ugly. He is very athletic and if he can continue to show progression in his shot he could become a real contributor. I have seen him in warmups knocking down 3's. Wish he would take one at the top of the key just to see what he can do.

Anyone besides me notice how his free throw shooting form has improved. At the start of the year his free throw shooting was almost ugly. He is very athletic and if he can continue to show progression in his shot he could become a real contributor. I have seen him in warmups knocking down 3's. Wish he would take one at the top of the key just to see what he can do.
He did one game earlier this year haha total brick but he hit the rim at least

Top Bottom