PP: Former Gophers coach Clem Haskins ‘appreciated’ in return to Williams Arena

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Burton was asked postgame Sunday if Haskins will be “truly appreciated” at Minnesota.

“Yeah, they have,” Burton said. “That was pretty obvious out there. They appreciate it. Situations happen sometimes that you don’t understand — I didn’t know. I don’t know anything about that version of things that I heard.

“All I know is if you blinked different (as a player under Haskins) that was it because I ran above in this track so many times for not doing something or not being 15 minutes early,” Burton said.

Izzo recalled how Indiana’s Bob Knight, Purdue’s Gene Keady and Haskins approached him over a vote on the Big Ten tournament at the conference’s meetings.

“They said, ‘So, we are going to vote on it and (former Michigan State coach Jud Heathcote) is a good friend of ours, so how do you plan on voting?’ ” Izzo recalled. “I said, ‘However you tell me.’

“I just loved how hard Clem’s teams played. I think he was great for the Big Ten and great for college basketball, and I think he’s great for the kids. I think he gave kids second chances, but man he went at them.”

Go Gophers!!

If it wasn't for that pesky academic fraud that Clem propagated...

We have a good view of the area near the gopher bench. After halftime, Burton stopped by and talked to Clem and Yevette, and there wasn't a dry eye. After a post ceremony conversation, Willie walked away, and the Haskins both needed a tissue. Willie's talk was a great speech that has received little attention on this board.

We have a good view of the area near the gopher bench. After halftime, Burton stopped by and talked to Clem and Yevette, and there wasn't a dry eye. After a post ceremony conversation, Willie walked away, and the Haskins both needed a tissue. Willie's talk was a great speech that has received little attention on this board.

Jordan Murphy also came over and talked to Clem for awhile. I'm pretty sure Holloman got a photo with him as well.

I was able to talk with Clem for a few minutes two years ago when the team was back for their reunion. I always liked him and he was very kind to an old fan who was honored to meet him.

Top Bottom