PP: Cut sports? Trim coaches’ pay? A look at Gophers’ financial solutions amid coronavirus

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist and professor at Smith College in Massachusetts, sees this crisis as an opportunity to make drastic changes to athletic department budgets. He suggests cutting a few men’s sports because he sees a lot of schools lagging behind in Title IX compliance.

The Gophers, however, reported 49.9 percent of its athletes are female, which is close to the 53.4 percent majority of female students in the total student body in the fall semester 2019.

Zimbalist looks to cutting the number of assistant and associate athletic directors each school has on the payroll. But Coyle noted in his presentation to Regents that the U has let three senior-level positions go unfilled, saving $400,000 a year.

Zimbalist’s more radical ideas include bringing down football scholarships from 85 to 60, renegotiating head coach contracts and cutting the number of assistant coaches and/or their pay.

“There are a number of areas where there is tremendous excess in waste and inefficiency in the system and the ways they are run now; I would attack those,” Zimbalist said. “I would be very vulnerable if I did it by myself and the other schools didn’t do it. I would certainly try to coordinate some of that with the ADs in the Big Ten and maybe in the Power Five.”

Go Gophers!!

Men's gymnastics, tennis, and golf could all be cut, while leaving the women's teams and thus not "wasting" the investment in facilities/equipment. Although yes I know, in men's gymnastics they use some different apparatus. But maybe you could sell them to a newly formed gymnastics club team.

per Greder:

Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist and professor at Smith College in Massachusetts, sees this crisis as an opportunity to make drastic changes to athletic department budgets. He suggests cutting a few men’s sports because he sees a lot of schools lagging behind in Title IX compliance.

The Gophers, however, reported 49.9 percent of its athletes are female, which is close to the 53.4 percent majority of female students in the total student body in the fall semester 2019.

Zimbalist looks to cutting the number of assistant and associate athletic directors each school has on the payroll. But Coyle noted in his presentation to Regents that the U has let three senior-level positions go unfilled, saving $400,000 a year.

Zimbalist’s more radical ideas include bringing down football scholarships from 85 to 60, renegotiating head coach contracts and cutting the number of assistant coaches and/or their pay.

“There are a number of areas where there is tremendous excess in waste and inefficiency in the system and the ways they are run now; I would attack those,” Zimbalist said. “I would be very vulnerable if I did it by myself and the other schools didn’t do it. I would certainly try to coordinate some of that with the ADs in the Big Ten and maybe in the Power Five.”

Go Gophers!!
Of course there is waste and inefficiency in a subsidized program.

the NCAA isn’t a for profit entity.
the parts that are for profit pay for the parts that don’t make profit.

If you really wanted to be efficient..cut everything except men’s basketball, football, and men’s hockey.

No scholarship limits. Players go to the highest bidder.

they could call themselves the NBA, NHL, and NFL

Top Bottom