Postseason

The MSU coach over Motzko, sure, but the UM coach has all the talent in the world the last few years and can't get his team to focus consistently.
Ridiculous. Motzko has a long resume of multiple coach of the year awards in multiple conferences and also a World Junior Gold Medal. Nightingale has tremendous upside and we’ll see how his career goes but as of today there is no comparison between the two. Motzko in a landslide.

The lack of Minnesota teams in the Tournament is really disappointing. What has happened to UMD, SCSU, MSU and Bemidji?

Is the talent just getting spread to thin?

The lack of Minnesota teams in the Tournament is really disappointing. What has happened to UMD, SCSU, MSU and Bemidji?

Coaching staffs (and recruits) getting sniped by other schools.

Bemidji State was close, went down to the wire with Michigan Tech for the conference tournament title.

I think the Gophers have a shot of getting out of this regional, it will be tough but doable. I'm really hoping for a great run after the kind of up-and-down season this has been.

It's kind of reminded me of the 2014-2015 season that followed the 2013-2014 run that went to the final. Hopefully this year they have more success in the NCAA tournament than the 2015 edition.

ND and Michigan can't be pleased with their seedings which always makes me happy.

We only need to win four (4) games...its time for Close and Snuggy to go into "scorched earth" mode.

Go Gophers!!!

ND and Michigan can't be pleased with their seedings which always makes me happy.

We only need to win four (4) games...its time for Close and Snuggy to go into "scorched earth" mode.

Go Gophers!!!
It's 6 vs 10, they have nothing to really complain about. Plus they line up against #4 instead of the better teams they would normally line up against.

It's 6 vs 10, they have nothing to really complain about. Plus they line up against #4 instead of the better teams they would normally line up against.
agreed completely. UND only has itself to blame for losing to Omaha (4 times this year). If anything, they should be happy to dodge their regional and get the "weakest" 1 seed.

Michigan, same deal. Get a vulnerable UND team coupled with a team they've beaten (albeit they've also lost 4x to them) as the 1 seed where you normally would be in line to get the 2 overall (after playing the 7).

agreed completely. UND only has itself to blame for losing to Omaha (4 times this year). If anything, they should be happy to dodge their regional and get the "weakest" 1 seed.

Michigan, same deal. Get a vulnerable UND team coupled with a team they've beaten (albeit they've also lost 4x to them) as the 1 seed where you normally would be in line to get the 2 overall (after playing the 7).
And the Gophers can't complain, either. They get a lower seed than they should have played, and yes they line up against the best player and best d-man in college hockey, but if they get that far the fan split will be like 95% UMN/5% BU.

If I'm a Denver fan I'm happy as can be to have that path to the F4

If I'm a Denver fan I'm happy as can be to have that path to the F4
They got sent out to play a 4 seed that is hosting. They got screwed.

Idiots at NCAA and defenders of the current system surely with nothing to say about that one.

Idiots at NCAA and defenders of the current system surely with nothing to say about that one.
Screwed geographically, sure, but they will basically be able to sleepwalk their way to St. Paul. I'd take that tradeoff.

i mean it's a team that's 1-8-2 against teams in the field (only win was over Michigan at the start of the year). That's followed by a 2 who's 5-4-1 (3 wins over UMass, one each over QU and BC), and a 3 that's 2-1-1 against the field. I think that's more what they're referring to and I think they'd gladly take that bracket over getting UND who was 3-1 against them.

If you're arguing 4 seed shouldn't be able to host, I agree with you it should be on site at the 1 seed for the regional but the current system doesn't "screw" anyone. It's what they decided they wanted prior and there was no other way to do it this year. It's the joy of what can happen if you don't bid or get one of the top 2 seeds.

As far as UMass with home ice advantage, I don't know how hyped up they (the fans) will be to go after getting shit on by BC. I'm sure there will also be a reasonably large Maine contingent to cheer on UMass, but I don't think you would've seen them have a more lopsided crowd in their direction should they have been in MD Heights

One of them is still guaranteed to lose.

I tend to think that location and "hosting" team advantage is overstated. Too lazy to look up all the data but think that the team playing the best hockey usually wins, no matter the location.

I know that UMD won at least 2 of their 3 titles while coming out of an East Regional.

I tend to think that location and "hosting" team advantage is overstated. Too lazy to look up all the data but think that the team playing the best hockey usually wins, no matter the location.

I know that UMD won at least 2 of their 3 titles while coming out of an East Regional.
Then look back at the Gophers NCAA performance in the decade or so before Motzko got there. They basically only ever advanced when the regional was at the X.

Then look back at the Gophers NCAA performance in the decade or so before Motzko got there. They basically only ever advanced when the regional was at the X.
My response would be they weren't the best team or didn't play well or had a goalie beat. Just my opinion.

Bob has been overwhelmingly successful since he got here, I really don't know where this narrative comes from. We are sitting at #7 in the PWR in a "down" year - that says something right there.
Just seems like the players can't play three solid periods, or would stink on one night and play great the next night. Believe me, I'm not alone about this narrative. Kind of like we stunk in the 3rd period last year in the championship game. Yes we're at #7. With this team, we could be doing better.

Just seems like the players can't play three solid periods, or would stink on one night and play great the next night. Believe me, I'm not alone about this narrative. Kind of like we stunk in the 3rd period last year in the championship game. Yes we're at #7. With this team, we could be doing better.
I mean we've won more NCAA tournament games over the last 3 years than anyone in the country - if that says Bob can't get players up for big games then I am not seeing it. Almost every team has these sort of issues - BC this year may be the closest thing to an exception, but there just aren't really teams that play a flawless 3 periods night in and night out.

You're not alone in this narrative at all, but it's common for false narratives to spread like that.

I mean we've won more NCAA tournament games over the last 3 years than anyone in the country - if that says Bob can't get players up for big games then I am not seeing it. Almost every team has these sort of issues - BC this year may be the closest thing to an exception, but there just aren't really teams that play a flawless 3 periods night in and night out.

You're not alone in this narrative at all, but it's common for false narratives to spread like that.
I mean look at the rosters from those seasons...

This is a team Bob will need to coach to a championship whereas last year he really should have been able to just manage to a championship.

With Michigan having 4 teams in the Tournament (1/4 of all teams), does that then make Michigan THE STATE OF HOCKEY?

UMass Denver tied midway through 2nd. There's almost no one there on one half of the rink. sounds like a small but vocal umass contingent, but don't think its quite the home ice advantage it was hyped to be

Last edited:

Is there a realistic chance regionals ever go back to the top seeds? Seems so much better for attendance and atmosphere, similar to women's hoops

Is there a realistic chance regionals ever go back to the top seeds? Seems so much better for attendance and atmosphere, similar to women's hoops
would envision so. just needs support from majority of coaches/teams

UMass Denver tied midway through 2nd. There's almost no one there on one half of the rink. sounds like a small but vocal umass contingent, but don't think its quite the home ice advantage it was hyped to be
"Home ice advantage" is a lot more about the lack of travel and the familiarity of the rink than fans anyway. When you're on the ice you really tune out crowd noise for the most part.

In my dream world Hrabel transfers to the Gophers this spring. What a beast.

Wow. Last time I checked, UMass and Denver were tied 1-1 in the 5th period.

Edit: Denver wins 2-1 with a little over 7 minutes left in the fifth period.

Last edited:

Top Bottom