[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

As I said in the game thread at halftime, I was disappointed in the decision to punt from the Purdue 37 with a 4th and 4 and about 50 seconds remaining in the half. Purdue was going to get the ball to open the second half AND have the favorable wind conditions. PJ decides to go conservative here and takes a delay and then punts. To only come out of that half up 14-6 after all the turnovers was an ominous sign.

I was equally dismayed with the decisions leading up to the Carpenter FG to take the lead late. The Gophers had 3rd and 4 at the 21 with about 3:20 and they run the clock down and RUTM to set up a FG. Purdue calls their first timeout after the failed 3rd down conversion at 2:31 left. Worst case scenario now for Purdue is that the Gophers make the FG and they are down 2 with 2:31 and 2 timeouts. The clock is basically not a factor in college football at the point when you just need a FG. On the other hand, if Carpenter were to miss that FG, the Gophers had just one timeout remaining and Purdue could have drained most of the clock. I really don't understand how you don't aggressively go for the first down in this scenario if you are Coach Fleck/The Gophers. One more first down totally changes that game regardless of whether you eventually end up with 3 or 7.

It will be overlooked, but once again Special Teams was very shaky for the Gophers with a couple of terrible punts and then the killer of Santoso slipping on the kickoff after the late Carpenter FG.

This ^^^. You’d think they would’ve known that their defense wasn’t go stop Purdue from driving, especially if Purdue only has to get a field goal. Have to try and convert that 3rd down on something other than RUTFM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care how long you've been a fan, you said Coyle fired Claeys for being fat, which is ridiculous and stupid and never happened.[

Guaranteed his looks had something to do with it. Who are you trying to kid? Very few people on this board, or in the state of Minnesota, would disagree....

Is it right? It's not politically correct, but I could see how a young, fit coach could attract recruits. But you have to win. Otherwise, it's all bullsh!t.

Lots of people disagree because your claim is baseless.

I think people who predicted a Purdue win might have had a different opinion if you told them the Gophers would be +3 in the turnover battle for 59 minutes of the game.
Especially since the Gophers have a coach who spent the last week telling people they lost to Maryland because they lost the turnover battle and it's extremely difficult to win if you don't win the turnover battle.
And now the QB is the weak link in the turnover battle. I think that the drastic drop in game performance, in all aspects of the game, after the storm delay are the key.

Why go for three points on the drive? The way the defense was underperforming guaranteed Purdue would get in to FG position and take the lead back. Unfortunately for us, they got six and a two point conversion.

The pick six thrown by Rhoda proved that winning the turnover battle can be meaningless. One pick six interception pretty well offset all the turnovers on which we failed to capitalize.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We lost the game in the first half. +3 in TO's during the half and we only had a 1 score lead.
The defense played well in stretches during that half. The offense was ok, but missed on some things that would have helped us build a bigger lead.
They were mixing in some different running plays: outside zone, jet, option which opened up inside zone more. That makes last weeks loss to Maryland even more frustrating because had they run some more of those last week we would have had a better rushing attack and more than likely won that game.

So far at least looks like Purdue made the right choice.

You should know there are many on here that believe that PJ turned down the PU job and could have had it if he wanted it. I'm being serious, some people here actually believe that. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

Taking a step back in year one of a coach is not surprising nor alarming. He took over a 4-8 Western Michigan team and went 1-11 his first year. How’d that turn out? James Franklin was 14-12 his first two years at PSU. It takes time people you all need to calm down. These knee jerk over reactions I’m reading are comical.

Remember tho - the wins and losses don't matter, the HOW does. Do you think the HOW looked good the past 2 games?

PJ needs to quit worrying about the team uniforms each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about which custom made shoes he is going to wear each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about leading the team on the field each week
PJ needs to quit worrying about all his catch phrases and the RTB crap
PJ might want to spend more time coaching each week

This is so spot on. I have basically been saying this since about a month after he was hired. It isn't because of time commitment either (FtF). It is because of where his focus should be. His players see where his focus is. All this "that's what the kids like" crap is just that - crap. The players and the recruits want to win - let's focus on wins.

PJ needs to quit worrying about the team uniforms each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about which custom made shoes he is going to wear each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about leading the team on the field each week
PJ needs to quit worrying about all his catch phrases and the RTB crap
PJ might want to spend more time coaching each week

U are correct. With fleck. It's all about him. Just another bs coach like Brewster

As I recall, and it didn't take any reading between the lines, Coyle did say that it is important to have someone that looks like a Big Ten Coach to represent Minnesota, or something along those lines. I remember my jaw dropping when I heard Coyle make the comment.

Coyle hire was a mistake too
Najarian would have been a great ad

I think people who predicted a Purdue win might have had a different opinion if you told them the Gophers would be +3 in the turnover battle for 59 minutes of the game.
Especially since the Gophers have a coach who spent the last week telling people they lost to Maryland because they lost the turnover battle and it's extremely difficult to win if you don't win the turnover battle.

Won in T/O and TOP. That should lead to a win against an opponent like Purdue. Another head scratcher of a game plan.

As usual the game was a mix of execution errors, coaching errors.

I liked the expanded playbook. The misdirection, the sweeps and options were great to see. On the negative side Rhoda was playing scared all night. Not sure what was up with that but he must have thrown a dozen passes while back pedaling with no pressure in his face. We allowed at least two lomg third down conversions with the entire center of the field vacated and nobody keyed on the RB or QB. As mentioned the timid offensive playcalls at the end of the halves were incredibly frustrating. Go for the first down. Get some points.

The decision to put a hobbled Durr out there at a critical juncture of the game was the final straw for me. Put anyone out there. Calvin Swenson, anyone. I feel bad for Durr. He's obviously struggling to get healthy and I wonder if his accelerated rehab schedule has anything to do with it.

We've already covered Rhoda's limitations but as cliche as it is we need to see what else we have. If Croft is toeing the line Fleck needs to give him a chance.

We lost the game in the first half. +3 in TO's during the half and we only had a 1 score lead.
The defense played well in stretches during that half. The offense was ok, but missed on some things that would have helped us build a bigger lead.
They were mixing in some different running plays: outside zone, jet, option which opened up inside zone more. That makes last weeks loss to Maryland even more frustrating because had they run some more of those last week we would have had a better rushing attack and more than likely won that game.

What happened to the offense after Rhoda’s fumble? Did the play calling get more conservative? Did Purdue just adjust and we couldn’t counter?

You should know there are many on here that believe that PJ turned down the PU job and could have had it if he wanted it. I'm being serious, some people here actually believe that. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

Multiple national media outlets reported it. I guess they're all just bobos.

As usual the game was a mix of execution errors, coaching errors.

I liked the expanded playbook. The misdirection, the sweeps and options were great to see. On the negative side Rhoda was playing scared all night. Not sure what was up with that but he must have thrown a dozen passes while back pedaling with no pressure in his face. We allowed at least two lomg third down conversions with the entire center of the field vacated and nobody keyed on the RB or QB. As mentioned the timid offensive playcalls at the end of the halves were incredibly frustrating. Go for the first down. Get some points.

The decision to put a hobbled Durr out there at a critical juncture of the game was the final straw for me. Put anyone out there. Calvin Swenson, anyone. I feel bad for Durr. He's obviously struggling to get healthy and I wonder if his accelerated rehab schedule has anything to do with it.

We've already covered Rhoda's limitations but as cliche as it is we need to see what else we have. If Croft is toeing the line Fleck needs to give him a chance.

Iowa played a safety yesterday 5.5 months after ACL surgery. Times have changed.

My take away from this game is that we should just blow things up. There is almost no chance this team makes a bowl game. Play as many freshman as you can to get them experience (not necessarily just to burn RS). Put in Morgan at QB. We're not currently playing to win anyway. Just completely install the Fleck offense and Fleck defense and prepare for next year.

Multiple national media outlets reported it. I guess they're all just bobos.

HA. Been over this many times. Last time we did you posted a link to an article that said they wanted to talk to him and later in the same article it said after talking to Brohm they had no interest in PJ. I pointed that out to you and you went silent. Now, we seem to have come full circle.

HA. Been over this many times. Last time we did you posted a link to an article that said they wanted to talk to him and later in the same article it said after talking to Brohm they had no interest in PJ. I pointed that out to you and you went silent. Now, we seem to have come full circle.

No, you didn't. I linked you a USA Today article and you disputed the credibility of it's contents.

Here you go again:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/94825382/

My take away from this game is that we should just blow things up. There is almost no chance this team makes a bowl game. Play as many freshman as you can to get them experience (not necessarily just to burn RS). Put in Morgan at QB. We're not currently playing to win anyway. Just completely install the Fleck offense and Fleck defense and prepare for next year.

+1. You always make sense. Here again. The key is, as you have pointed out, PJ isn't playing to win. He has said as much, but it is still painful to see. The problem is I don't see him playing for the future either.

That's not the article you linked last time. That one clearly stated Brohm was their first choice. I know it. You know it. Good enough for me.

No, I didn't. Quit making stuff up and spreading lies on GH.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but why would that be so unbelievable?

I have no idea if it's true or not, but why would that be so unbelievable?

There is simply no indication what-so-ever that PU want PJ. Oregon didn't either. Some will still claim he could have picked his job. It just isn't true. Seemed relevant to what Bronco posted so I put it in a response. That simple.

We need Winfield back ASAP! And Shenault should be left in the locker room.

He interviewed for Purdue, back channeled for it like crazy, even thought he had it in the bag, but after meeting with him, Purdue had a change of heart and they took Brohm instead.

This is so spot on. I have basically been saying this since about a month after he was hired. It isn't because of time commitment either (FtF). It is because of where his focus should be. His players see where his focus is. All this "that's what the kids like" crap is just that - crap. The players and the recruits want to win - let's focus on wins.

I know we'll never see eye to eye on any of this but how do you or anyone else know where his focus is? Do you think he's sitting in his office designing the uniforms and shoes each week? Does it take hours of planning to have him run on the field with the team?

That's fine, you and others don't like him or the way he does things. But the things people will complain about are ridiculous IMO.

We need Winfield back ASAP! And Shenault should be left in the locker room.

I don't think you watched the game yesterday. We should start Durr over Shenault while we're at it too.

He interviewed for Purdue, back channeled for it like crazy, even thought he had it in the bag, but after meeting with him, Purdue had a change of heart and they took Brohm instead.

I'm sure this isn't completely made up. Spoofin probably buys it though.

Top Bottom