[POST GAME THREAD] Minnesota defeats New Mexico State 48-10

We played a really bad team and we showed our athleticism. It was a nice win.
After the game I noted that we are small on the defensive line. We'll struggle against the Olines in the B1G. I also noted more flags against us than last year. I also attribute this to youth.
I am thrilled we won and flashed some potential. But, I still see us struggling mightily in the B1G.

Mostly been said already by other posters.

Would like to say I was surprised to see Sam Renner playing DT. Great job by this young man! I believe was a walk on who only earned a scholarship last year. Roster bio says he redshirted in '15 and didn't play much in '16 and '17. https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1118 Also says he has already graduated. Probably was planning for this to be his last season, but looks like that will no longer be the case!

Played a lot this game, and had the nice punt block. Keep up the great job Sam!

We played a really bad team and we showed our athleticism. It was a nice win.
After the game I noted that we are small on the defensive line. We'll struggle against the Olines in the B1G. I also noted more flags against us than last year. I also attribute this to youth.
I am thrilled we won and flashed some potential. But, I still see us struggling mightily in the B1G.

D-line will be our weakness for a few more years, but we have good young depth. We might see someone improve fast like Richardson did, but right now it's an improvement to just have the bodies. We have a rotation of decent D-lineman. No real pass rusher outside of Coughlin though imo. Was not impressed with Otemewo pass rushing after the hype from Fleck, but still think our guys will improve.

I think the Fresno game will be telling for our conference season.

The flags issue will get cleaned up quick. That is one thing Fleck is seriously good at.

Their success on the fake punt was disappointing. NMSU put that man in motion and Coughlin got caught on a crack back block to secure that gain.

Winfield doing a lot on his own with the great return, but some help from Shoenfelder, Swenson, Leius (son of the former Twin) and Green doing the job again.

The biggest thing I noticed was just how much better this team looks in general. They look bigger, stronger, faster. The talent at WR is night and day vs the last 2 games last year. I agree their one downfall, especially as we get into B1G play is the size of the defense, especially the DL.

The outcome of the game was not surprising but there are a lot of reasons to be very optimistic about the future.

The biggest thing I noticed was just how much better this team looks in general. They look bigger, stronger, faster. The talent at WR is night and day vs the last 2 games last year. I agree their one downfall, especially as we get into B1G play is the size of the defense, especially the DL.

The outcome of the game was not surprising but there are a lot of reasons to be very optimistic about the future.

QB and WR look like huge upgrades this year (not surprising with how dreadful it was last year). Secondary and DL will be the big question marks this year.

Top Bottom