Post Game Thread: Gophers With AMAZING Comeback Win!!!

When was the last game we won by last second FG? I remember Rhys Lloyd winning the Sun Bowl in 2003 against Oregon. Was there a more recent one?
When we beat Michigan at Michigan? Was that 2003?

TBH, I’m just glad that my weekend will be better now.

Never appologize for winning Gophers fans. We have seen far too many games in the past where games like this or better play by the Gophers did not bring us a win. Running backs need to be able to break tackles and hit the holes faster but that is nitpicking. We have to develop more balance as season goes on. Would like to see Cole Kramer get some runs out of the backfield too. We need more speed at tailback. O- line is a little bulky, need to be move quicker off the snaps. Tyler is fast, but we were spoiled by MO and his leg drive and will to break tackles.

Last edited:

When was the last game we won by last second FG? I remember Rhys Lloyd winning the Sun Bowl in 2003 against Oregon. Was there a more recent one?

Colorado State 2015. Overtime clincher. No I didn't remember that offhand. The Sun Bowl game you mentioned was the last one I could remember vividly.

Defense played well, Jackson was clutch, need to get the ball to Span Ford over the middle in that 7-15 yard range.

Last edited:

Never appologize for winning Gophers fans. We have seen far too many games in the past where games like this or better play by the Gophers did not bring us a win. Running backs need to be able to break tackles and hit the holes faster but that is nitpicking. We have to develop more balance as season goes on. Would like to see Cole Kramer get some runs out of the backfield too. We need more speed at tailback. O- line is a little bulky, need to be move quicker off the snaps.
Yep. There are always things to improve on, but a win is a win so those looking for reasons to complain right now need to just relax and enjoy the win. The players and coaches will learn a ton from this game and will use it to get better.

First games are always weird, the fact that it was against a conference opponent makes it even tougher. First couple games in college football should always be against creampuffs, use them as glorified exhibition games to get better. You don't get that luxury when going against a conference foe.

In the end the team did enough to win. Great way to kick off 2023.

Without a doubt. But I seriously doubt anyone is picking things up from a mediocre coach from the 70’s. Just my opinion
Ya, Cal Stoll is the only coach in history who thought it took a couple of games to get an offensive line to come together. I'd guess most coaches would agree with that. Just my opinion.

Despite the problems for the Gophers, it could be worse. Like it was worse for Nebraska losing.

For Nebraska fans, Big Red is a distant dream.

1693548937228.png

THAT ENDING was incredible. This was an entertaining game. Cripes, I feel bad for Husker fans. Enter the Dragan. What a kick. What a weapon. He is going to win a few more games this year.

Drive by impression was the defensive line looks impressive and put a lot of stress on that very athletic QB, who made some horrific decisions and forced some throws but thank you very much. Baranowski got run through a few times by a very large RB but suspecthe’s going to be great. Nubin, what else can you say. Number 2 and 5 with clutch takeaways.

The run game was abysmal, hard to say how much of that was on Nebraska or Minnesota. Our RBs seem a step down from Mo. Crooms and Jackson stepped up but definitely a dink and dunk attack. The downfield attack wasn’t impressive. Not going to get too bent out of shape.

That was the most fun I’ve had with my pants on in a while. Probably a ton of eyeballs and exposure for this one. Loved PJ interview after the game. This team has potential.

How about the Dragon's fire breathing 47 yarder? I swear, he looks more comfortable from 50 yards than on an extra point.

I have not read through all of the comments but my two cents is that my prediction of the final score MN17/NE10 was close.
If K had started last year MN would have won the West and NE's new DC needs to get a pass rush in his "complex" defense.
NE's QB throws very inopportune interceptions in the BIG just as he did for GA TECH.
MN's RBs are not built for the BIG and the OL has taken a backward step.
Jackson is the real deal as is the placekicker and QB.

There were a few Nebraska fans around my group in 215 who I was glad the Gophers delivered an stunning outcome like Michigan's Halloween gut punch to us...... Not many, but a particular few.

Going to the State Fair this morning and I was afraid that I would have to grind my teeth when seeing the tons of Nebby fans that will likely be there today.

Our run game wasn't good, but I also thought we were surprisingly impatient with it. I thought we ran the ball OK With Tyler and we should have continued to go to the well a bit more.

With playcalling, it seems like it's always a balance between imposing your game plan on the opposition and taking what the defense is giving you. At time last year, I think we were too narrowly focused on imposing our game plan. I think tonight, we saw the CBs playing back and became too fixated on what Nebraska was giving us.

A win is a win. Big ten game, first game of the year.
My biggest 3 concerns are offensive play calling, run blocking, and Athan.
But like I said it was the first game and we have plenty of time to improve in all those areas.

First, Minnesota is a much better team than Nebraska. Like anything, you could be the much better team but in the first game, anything can happen. I liked everything from the passing, to defense, to ST. I believe our RB will be better as Neb did everything to stop the run and to see if we could win with the pass.

Great win. On to the next and we will keep getting better.

Good morning for coffee on the porch and some highlights and press conference watching.

The weather was magical, the sunlight cast a great light on the early game, even the Neb fans commented how great of a setting UM has, many times

Perfect weather for an opening night game.

No doubt, I will never forget the BS pass interference call on our #4 that handed Joe P a win back in the evil Metrodome around 2004.

We got hosed on that one.

In OT, right?

Nebraska fans on Reddit after the game or calling for them to fire Scott Frost again. 🤣
You can take a Scott Frost out of Nebraska but you cannot erase the stench he Frost left behind in 1 year. Nebby hired a good coach in Rhule. They will be a load to handle without mistakes as they still get a lot of talent.

Historically we get to practice against 3-4 cupcakes before we get tested in conference, but that was one of those extremely frustrating games that you’re happy to steal at the end.

Let’s hope we can work out some more kinks next week because we need to a much improved offense to take on North Carolina.

You can take a Scott Frost out of Nebraska but you cannot erase the stench he Frost left behind in 1 year. Nebby hired a good coach in Rhule. They will be a load to handle without mistakes as they still get a lot of talent.
Yeah Nebraska has been a mentally weak team for a long time now.

When you have coaches at Purdue talk about hitting Nebraska hard early because they tend to fold. That’s a bad sign…

Contrast that with PJs teams that have been mentally very gritty.

Past Gophers teams would have folded in last nights game.

Ryan Santoso's 52 yard kick in the 2014 Purdue game comes to mind, but I guess that wasnt really a last second kick.

I know you didn't mean any harm, but please don't mention Michigan and 2003 around here again.
Agreed…. I am back in therapy now….

I just remember watching those post game fireworks….

I need a drink.

The Gophers seem to find ways to win these games more times than not under Fleck, even when they're not playing well. Some veterans really stepped up there to make big time plays.

Top Bottom