Post Game Quotes from Kill, Leidner, Maye, Williams, Ferentz and more...

GopherLady

Reaction score
I apologize if these were already posted. The board is on fire (which is a great thing) and I didn't see these posted at 1st glance:

Postgame Quotes

Minnesota 51, Iowa 14
TCF Bank Stadium

Jerry Kill, Minnesota Head Coach

Opening statement…

“I just think the kids did all the things we asked them to do. The game comes down to execution and, for the most part, we executed really well. In the first series of the game, they hit three or four third downs, but then we buckled down and got after it. The biggest thing was that offensively, we really played well and were firing on all cylinders. Our offensive coach put a good game plan together and Mitch (Leidner) keeps getting better and better. We sprinkled (Chris) Streveler in there to take some hits off Mitch. That was a little bit more offensively like we were at Northern Illinois…When the quarterback plays well, you’ve got a great chance to win. Plus, we won the battle up front today and I’m so proud of both of those lines. We’ve had a makeshift offensive line all year, but they came to play today.”

On the offense’s first half...

“I think Matt (Limegrover) did a good job of keeping them off balance a little bit. You always do as much as your quarterback can do and today he had an outstanding game. He was reading all that stuff. I’ll have to look at film, but I’ll bet he didn’t miss one or two reads. You’re doing all that stuff and throwing the football and taking hits—I can’t say enough about the job that kid did. The whole offense did what we asked them to do and they carried out the game plan.”

On Maxx Williams…

“He is unreal. I’ve coached this game for 31 years and I’ve coached a lot of great players, but I have never seen anybody catch the ball like that kid does. If you get it close to him, he’s going to find a way to catch it. He’s unbelievable. ”

On the Gophers’ defense after allowing a touchdown on the opening drive 4:40…

“Our kids didn’t panic. Our defensive coordinator is a sharp guy and he threw some things in there and you work your way into calling a game. The big thing is that everybody fit in the run game where they needed to be and I don’t think they rushed for 100 yards. Defensively, we really dominated and we’ve worked hard on that going back to spring ball.”

On winning the Floyd of Rosedale…

“The neat thing is for our fans that they get to take their picture with the Jug and now they get to take their picture with the Pig. It’s great for our state and I know how important it is. I’m proud of our fans and I’m proud of the whole state.”

Mitch Leidner, Minnesota Sophomore Quarterback

On bouncing back after the loss to Illinois…

“It’s just a credit to our coaching staff and the guys on our team to take that game and move on from it. We went into the bye week knowing we need to get better and needed to come out this month and play fast and start fast right away and I think we did a good job of that today.”

On having the Floyd of Rosedale and the Little Brown Jug at the same time…

“It’s huge for us and it’s really big for the state of Minnesota. We had really great support out here today—a great crowd. It was really cool to see and I’m just happy for my teammates and coaches and fans.”

On the performance of the Gophers’ offensive line…

“It was an unbelievable job by our offensive line up front. That was one of the things going into this game—we knew we had to dominate the line of scrimmage if we were going to have success against these guys. We knew they had some good defensive linemen. It was just a great job by our offensive linemen hanging in there and giving me some time to throw the football.”

KJ Maye, Minnesota Junior Wide Receiver

On whether or not he was expecting to get a lot of carries…

“It was in the game plan. All week, we’ve been working on getting the ball on the perimeter and making those guys run side to side, so I knew coming into the game that I was going to get those carries.”

On the difference between this game and the Minnesota-Iowa games of previous years…

“It feels good. We’re a totally different team from previous years and I feel like Iowa is a different team, too. I knew coming into this game that for us to win, we had to execute. Everybody has to do their job on offense and defense, picking each other up. We did we good with that. I feel like we’re a totally different team and we’ve come a long way.”

Maxx Williams, Minnesota Sophomore Tight End

On the physicality of Minnesota-Iowa games…

“We knew they had a big defensive line and Iowa is always known to have a big defensive line. We knew going into it that we were going to have to hit them hard. We knew it was going to be a physical game and that it was about who’s going to dominate the line of scrimmage. Knowing that they still are a big defensive line, you get that motivation and say, ‘Hey, let’s prove we’re better.’ You just go into the game and hit them as hard as you can and keep rolling with it.”

On putting up 51 points against Iowa…

“It’s just our game plan. Everyone just went out and played their game. We expect it to be a battle every game and it doesn’t really matter. You go out and prepare, go out and play, and have fun.”

On his impressive catches…

“Those kind of plays, you just have to kind of feel. Mitch (Leidner) threw the ball and I had to make a play and it happens so quick—you just try to get your feet down and go with it.”

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa Head Coach

His first thoughts coming into the media room…

“We got out-played and out-coached in all three phases. Credit goes to Minnesota. They were clearly the aggressors today and we were the acceptors and it’s just a bad combination.”

On if Iowa saw this defeat coming…

“I thought we had a good week of practice and good preparation. I thought the guys did a good job on the trip –they seemed focused and all those things are things you hope to see. The bottom line is when the ball gets kicked off, you gotta compete and we just got out-competed today.“

On if he would characterize this loss as embarrassing…

“Yeah, that would be a fitting description. All losses are bad, but this is certainly a bad loss.”

Brandon Scherff, LT

On where he thinks the team goes from here…

“We determine where we want to go and it’s on us. If you want to show up, good, that’s what we want. We want everyone to be there tomorrow and we’re going to watch film and just move on from there.”

On if there was any point in the game they thought, ‘What else could we do?’

“Well, that’s just the game of football. When things don’t go very well, you gotta find a way to change things over and keep it moving.”

Tevaun Smith, SE

On what happened after the first drive and what went wrong…

“No idea. I feel like that happens some days. We just have to be better.”

Louis Trinca-Pasat, RT

On Coach Ferentz’s comments about Minnesota being the aggressors…

“It’s a team loss. They executed and they won. It’s as simple as that. They wanted it more than we did and it showed.”

Mark Weisman, RB

On the game…

“We got beat in every facet of the game. We’ll watch it on film to see exactly what we did wrong.”

On if the Gophers were quicker, stronger and tougher than Iowa thought…

“We knew they were strong and tough up front. I just think we didn’t execute at all. You know, that’s on us. I give them credit. They came out ready to play and they obviously wanted it more out there.”

Jake Rudock, QB

On the first drive…

“Yeah, that’s unfortunately all we did well today. It just wasn’t our day.”

On what happened after the first drive…

“You know, I can’t really put a finger on it. We just didn’t play good football. We got what we deserved.”

The fact that you were sober enough to make all of these notes after the game is up there with DL Hall of Fame status. Nice job Nadine! Love all the quotes from the Iowa players/coach

The fact that you were sober enough to make all of these notes after the game is up there with DL Hall of Fame status. Nice job Nadine! Love all the quotes from the Iowa players/coach

Bahahaha! Ummm, no. I tailgated for a few hours, then came home and napped, and barely made it to the couch - but thank you for thinking I could have. This was courtesy of Gophersports :).

DL level? That is high praise. Are you high?

Top Bottom