Post game press conference notes: Painter, Tubby, Rodney Williams, and Joe Coleman

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my quick notes - I didn't edit anything, and as you know, Tubby kind of goes down one path and then goes another route.

Matt Painter:
• We're going to rely on our depth, and it will effect us when we don't have production from our bench. Our guys bounced back after a really disappointing loss.
• You reflect on Robbie's ACL injury 2 years ago here, because people ask you about it. This does remind you about what happened, and it was a disappointing day. It's also life, he's never made excuses, and he's always battled back. We have a lot of respect for the Gophers and Coach Smith. The best present we can give Rob is a victory here.
• We've struggled on getting the ball in bounds. We start two different guys at point guard. Hummel is a very good decision maker taking the ball out of bounds, but we need to do a better job.

Joe Coleman:
• We were a little late on the switches, they get off 3's fast, that's what they do best.
• No nerves on starting. I've been through pressure before. I knew I had to be aggressive like coach wanted.
• Things weren't going my way the 1st half, so I didn't rush it, I just let the game come to me in the 2nd half.
• You just have to learn from this. In Hopkins we went through one losing streak, for two games. You have to capitalize on the good, and learn from the bad things.
• I don't like losing, that's for sure. We did lose at Hopkins so I know how that feels you just have to learn from that.

Rodney Williams:
• Everybody saw how last year ended, and it's looking like it's going down the same road this year. We're going to fight every game and we have to get off on better starts.
• We didn't have our worst game turnover-wise, they just came at crucial times
• A loss is a loss, it doesn't matter how much you lose by. We have a lot of basketball to still play. We need to stay positive.
• We got guys on the bench that are going to come out and produce and work hard. Today was just their day, things weren't going for Welch and Sampson. I don't think there will be another game like this.
• It hurt us a little bit not having a big man on the floor. We beat them on the boards, but we had to take a lot of forced jump shots. Having a big man in there would have helped out a lot.
• Today was kind of the opposite of how things have been going for us. We have a young group of guys, and everyone is still learning.
• Everyone needs to be on the same page and work hard the whole game. We have faith in each other, this losing stuff is not going to continue for long.

Tubby:
• I don't know if I coached against a team that was any hotter than Purdue was today.
• It was a 5 point game, and then got to be a 15, 16 point game at halftime. We battled back to a respectable area, and we couldn't finish up.
• Joe Coleman played with unbelievable energy, Rodney had a good all around game. We need to do a better job of guarding the 3.
• They went the small line-up and we needed speed and quickness, and that's why we went with Andre Ingram instead of Elliott and Ralph. It's hard for Ralph to play in that type of game.
• They scored like 10 or 12 points in the 1st half on 2nd opportunities. You can't do that. That's where you lose game. I was disappointed with our rebounding in the 1st half, even though we won that battle in the 2nd half.
• We shot 50% from 3's, they show 15 and we shot 10.
• Everybody that we're running into, Michigan, their PG….we're getting broken down in transition. Jackson was being guarded as a point guard that couldn't contain him, but he was going by all of our guys, didn't matter who it was.
• A guy like Trevor was so quick to be able to rotate over and block shots. He had an athleticism you can't duplicate.
• When teams are stretching our defense and they have a player like Jackson, it creates a real problem for us.
• We'll be fine. We have to guard the 3 point shot better, we can't have these types of droughts. A guy like Elliott is giving us positive minutes, Coleman is, Andre Hollins is getting better.
• This is the first game we weren't in. Whether our legs were gone, we couldn't finish around the basket. This is the way it's been the whole time, you're right there, and lose. 3-4 we just didn't execute. It all goes back to getting those defensive stops. We need to get busy working a lot harder on guarding the 3 point shot and finishing around the basket. We'll work on it and get better.
• When you're 0-4 and you haven't won a game in the Big Ten for forever, it's tough. Confidence is so fragile. I don't think we lack confidence, I think they genuinely enjoy eachother, they work extremely hard. You look at missing a dunk, and that could cut it to 7 or 9. Getting stronger, getting more mature. It's all about us, especially myself, telling them we believe they can win in the Big 10.

On not being to tough on the team: I've been very passive with them…when you're losing. It's a great group of kids, they've done everything I've asked them to do. I couldn't ask for a better group of kids on and off the court.

Thanks Nadine. Great quotes.

You're welcome, nothing too ground breaking...but we did all laugh when Joe Coleman talked about his big losing streak at Hopkins...all of two games! Haha. He is a winner though, and he proved a lot of heart, effort and execution tonight.

Not sure where to put this and don't think it was worth another thread, but I am surprised Tubby didn't go off on the officials at some point in the 2nd half today. There were a lot of strong takes by the Gophers (Rodney Williams and Joe Coleman in particular) where the whistle was not blown. That would have been ok if the whistle wasn't being blown for bumps 50 feet away from the basket on the other end. By no means did this have any affect on the outcome of the game, but it's frustrating to see the Gophers not get calls on their own home court.

Not sure where to put this and don't think it was worth another thread, but I am surprised Tubby didn't go off on the officials at some point in the 2nd half today. There were a lot of strong takes by the Gophers (Rodney Williams and Joe Coleman in particular) where the whistle was not blown. That would have been ok if the whistle wasn't being blown for bumps 50 feet away from the basket on the other end. By no means did this have any affect on the outcome of the game, but it's frustrating to see the Gophers not get calls on their own home court.

At one point in the 2nd half team fouls were 7 for Purdue and 0 for the Gophers. I thought the Gophers got their share of calls yesterday.

34Gopher said:
At one point in the 2nd half team fouls were 7 for Purdue and 0 for the Gophers. I thought the Gophers got their share of calls yesterday.

Gophers drove and drew contact almost all game. Purdue also plays some pretty physical defense.

Pursue shot 3's and blew by the gophers on drives

I'd expect a large foul disparity in favor of MN. Refs weren't good, weren't awful. Foul differences usually reflect style of play more than the quality of officiating.

Top Bottom