Positives of Win

play hard

Reaction score
Special teams helped win a game " when is the last time this has happened at the U

Pick 6 helped ice the game

Good dept at RB with Cobb coming in showing some nice flashes

Ol Nd DL did not have great games but we still made some big plays . We did not win the line of scrimmage this game so lots of incentive to improve

Passing game is set up off of the run game so when we were not moving the ball on the ground the d did not have to put lots of guys in the box

Mn players were not use to the heat an unlv players are - we did not have normal explosion at the skill positions.

The whole team knows it did not play well but still was able to make some big plays to win. We will get better every game!

Special teams helped win a game " when is the last time this has happened at the U

Ol Nd DL did not have great games but we still made some big plays . We did not win the line of scrimmage this game so lots of incentive to improve

Passing game is set up off of the run game so when we were not moving the ball on the ground the d did not have to put lots of guys in the box

Mn players were not use to the heat an unlv players are - we did not have normal explosion at the skill positions.

The whole team knows it did not play well but still was able to make some big plays to win. We will get better every game!

Right now we have a number of bodies to play at RB, not sure on the depth part though as none of them were very effective Thursday night. Cobb broke off the 60 yarder in garbage time but was ineffective on his other carries. Kirkwood still appears to be the best option at the RB position so hopefully this ankle injury isn't anything that lingers. Probably won't need him the next few weeks but will definitely need him for San Jose State and the Big Ten season.

In regards to the heat I don't think that was an advantage for UNLV. The problem wasn't the temp it was the humidity and that is not something they deal with in Vegas.

Agreed. The special teams was a thing of beauty. I can't remember the last time the special teams helped in such a big way like they did on Thursday. That was a huge positive. If only that could happen every game (unrealistic I know). I thought Nelson didn't look too bad. I was sitting with a few buddies who thought he looked awful but I didn't think so.

My biggest excitement was Cobb (his physicality was superb). Makes me feel a lot better knowing there are good backs in case the dreaded injury bug bites one of them or the other needs a breather.

All in all I was very happy with the win and happy with the performance. Others will bash me for being so "supportive of mediocrity" but that's ok :)

There are things to work on with the offense, but the offense did score on half of its possessions - 4 touchdowns and 1 field goal out of 10 possessions.

Good point ! We didn't have the ball much as the special teams and D scoring on tHree possessions. I believe we would have opened the play book in the 2nd half if gAme was very close. I believe the game was to pound them on the ground and we were trying to establish the run for the season. We did not do any shot gun with 4 wr to spread them out. We can do this and we will more if we can't get 4 plus yards per carry? We were very vanilla by design

The fact that we scored 51 points without dominating on either side of the ball is pretty encouraging... also with 3 less possessions then UNLV...

You can see the team is getting a little more athletic and a little more comfortable out there. We still have a ways to go to be competitive with the top teams week in and week out, but I thought the UNLV game was an encouraging sign that things are getting better again!!

I would like to see us run outside a little bit more... seems when we did bounce outside those runs went for HUGE gains as opposed to inside the tackles...

Positives?

How can you mention positives without mentioning that the Rodents came out of Game 1 relatively healthy? Other than getting the win, that was high on the list. If Kirk is back within a week or two, that's big. Love not seeing any major injuries.

Yea that is true - I'm hing je wil be back soon. Hopefully Drew G is ok

There are things to work on with the offense, but the offense did score on half of its possessions - 4 touchdowns and 1 field goal out of 10 possessions.

Plus, 8- 14 on third downs. Overlooked because of some of the struggles.

Positive: team spirit sky high; special teams (shades of the Warmath era); almost no penalties; big plays on both offense and defense.

No false start or delay of game penalties that I recall. Well disciplined.

Top Bottom