POLL! - Who will be the next Gopher MBB Coach

Who will be the next coach?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
If a coaching change happens in 2021, who will be the next coach?

If a coaching change happens in 2021, who will be the next coach?
New Poll:
How upset will you be if there isn't a new Gopher Men's Basketball Coach at season's end?
1. I'll burn every piece of Gopher memorabilia and clothing I own on the 50 yard line at TCF...and be naked by the end. (All my clothes are Gopher gear)
2. I'll carry picket signs for the removal of Coach Pitino around Williams Arena as long as it takes 24 hours a day.
3. I'll never go to a Gopher game ever again. And I will never watch BTN again. (That would be hard core!)
4. I could care less who coaches Gopher basketball.
5. and many more ideas 70 bizillion X better

New Poll:
How upset will you be if there isn't a new Gopher Men's Basketball Coach at season's end?
1. I'll burn every piece of Gopher memorabilia and clothing I own on the 50 yard line at TCF...and be naked by the end. (All my clothes are Gopher gear)
2. I'll carry picket signs for the removal of Coach Pitino around Williams Arena as long as it takes 24 hours a day.
3. I'll never go to a Gopher game ever again. And I will never watch BTN again. (That would be hard core!)
No. 1 hits home. I've been reorg-ing closets, and the volume of my Gopher gear... 😳

New Poll:

I think you need an apathy answer. Like "I barely watch the team right now, and will barely watch the team next year if things stay the same. I already know what will happen".

Craig Smith - Of the guys out west, he is the second choice to Dutcher. Just not sure if Coyle cares about Minnesota connections

Porter Moser - I admit I had to Google him! I'd be down with this guy. I like the way the Ramblers play. Always was a Rick Majerus fan. This sounds kind of like a Coyle type too.

Dennis Gates - He is fairly new to this, kind of like Pitino was. Leonard Hamilton guy. Actual player. Has lifted Cleveland State, which is something! Seems kind of like swinging for the fence for a second consecutive hire and I do hate deep fly-outs. Seems like a reach.

Musselman - You know he's my guy. I just don't think we can get him. He just landed a great recruiter assistant coach and he has a top twenty team in an easier conference. And he is getting paid. Plus, his wife has said she no like Minnesota cold.

Dutcher - If Coyle and Dutcher want this to happen it will happen. Seems a little old for the Coyle cut-out coach mold. I see other choices that are more Coyle like based on the Fleck hire.

Medved - I like Minnesotans, I'm a Minnesotan. I just don't think Coyle cares that much and Medved hasn't done as much as some of the others.

Field - Always the odds on favorite in a game like this. Coyle may have his roto-dial set on somebody we haven't even thought of, or he is already on to his third or fourth guy and we don't know who that is either. So this would be the favorite in an odds game.

So what's the choice:

Porter Moser - Guy has had success at a small school for multiple years including a Final Four run. His teams play basketball the right way. Something that has been absent from the Barn for a long time. Probably not the first choice (Musselman) but he may very well be the guy we end up with.

Dutcher - If Coyle and Dutcher want this to happen it will happen. Seems a little old for the Coyle cut-out coach mold. I see other choices that are more Coyle like based on the Fleck hire.
Some Bob Motzko though...

It probably should be, and I think will be, Smith. Barring a crazy run by Niko to the MWC tourney title and then say the Sweet Sixteen or something like that.

Craig Smith - Of the guys out west, he is the second choice to Dutcher. Just not sure if Coyle cares about Minnesota connections

Porter Moser - I admit I had to Google him! I'd be down with this guy. I like the way the Ramblers play. Always was a Rick Majerus fan. This sounds kind of like a Coyle type too.

Dennis Gates - He is fairly new to this, kind of like Pitino was. Leonard Hamilton guy. Actual player. Has lifted Cleveland State, which is something! Seems kind of like swinging for the fence for a second consecutive hire and I do hate deep fly-outs. Seems like a reach.

Musselman - You know he's my guy. I just don't think we can get him. He just landed a great recruiter assistant coach and he has a top twenty team in an easier conference. And he is getting paid. Plus, his wife has said she no like Minnesota cold.

Medved - I like Minnesotans, I'm a Minnesotan. I just don't think Coyle cares that much and Medved hasn't done as much as some of the others.

Field - Always the odds on favorite in a game like this. Coyle may have his roto-dial set on somebody we haven't even thought of, or he is already on to his third or fourth guy and we don't know who that is either. So this would be the favorite in an odds game.

So what's the choice:

Porter Moser - Guy has had success at a small school for multiple years including a Final Four run. His teams play basketball the right way. Something that has been absent from the Barn for a long time. Probably not the first choice (Musselman) but he may very well be the guy we end up with.
i always forget about Moser....but awesome list. Honestly i would be happy with any of those guys listed.

So what's the choice:

Not my first choice either but the guy I voted for.

Just a feeling Moser will be the hire.

I realize I'm jaded due to being kicked in the nuts by the Gophers for 4 decades, but I can't shake the feeling that the next head coach is someone I'm going to have to look up on Wikipedia after they're announced as the new head coach.

I feel like that was the case with maybe previous ADS, but Coyle runs a tighter hiring process than Teague and Maturi ever did

New Poll:

You should post this as a separate poll, would be fun to see the answers.

Go Gophers!!

This is my odds on who I think will be next coach.

1. Brian Dutcher. Great record. Since I think many coaches start losing there ability at around 65-67, he would have 4-6 years in his prime.

2. Dennis Gates. Swing from the heels, but accept a greater risk of striking out. I think Gates has the highest upside, values academics, has recruited well as an assistant and is the lone black coach in our favorites list. Could also be the cheapest to get.

3. Craig Smith. Just signed an extension and has the highest buyout. Otherwise I'd rank him higher.

4. Eric Musselman. Why leave Arkansas? Most proven winner, but how committed to academics & rules?

5. Medved. I'd just be disappointed with his hire. His record doesn't pop like others on this list.

March 17 bump.
Anyone changing their vote?

POC MAC Asst.

Congrats! You almost typed three whole words this time! You used acronyms though, so on your next post, maybe you can actually use THREE complete words. This is a big step up from your normal two-word vomits!

Progress, troll. Progress.

Congrats! You almost typed three whole words this time! You used acronyms though, so on your next post, maybe you can actually use THREE complete words. This is a big step up from your normal two-word vomits!

Progress, troll. Progress.
Honestly feel Spaulding is stepping up lately

I keep hearing Mike Boynton. Do you all think he'd leave OKST for MN? That just doesn't seem likely. But he'd definitely be intriguing.

Doesn't it seem like the current AD will do a better job than the previous one? There are four or five coaches that i would be pretty excited about. Dutcher i think is the most likely.

Top Bottom