Poll: Where is Marcus Carr most likely to play in 2021-2022?

Where will Marcus Carr suit up in 2021-2022?

• University of Minnesota Golden Gophers

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • NBA Homeboy

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • G-League

Votes: 49 43.4%
  • Another college: Please put guess in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overseas

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Retired: Please put reasoning in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: I don't know what other options there are but??

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Please select a choice, curious to see what people think

I went G League. I think he's shown he can make some big time shots and take over a game enough that NBA teams will give him a chance there. He won't get drafted...or at least probably shouldn't but who knows.

Very very doubtful he's playing for a college team next year

The G league is ruining college basketball. That is where I would guess he will go.

The G league is ruining college basketball. That is where I would guess he will go.

Cause guys leave early for the NBA and end up there? wouldn't most of those guys end up playing professionally in another country at the same point in their careers if the G-League didn't exist?

I don't think so. Being in the G league making the same money and not having to leave their home country is much easier than going somewhere they don't know the language, culture, etc.

Just my opinion.

I don't think so. Being in the G league making the same money and not having to leave their home country is much easier than going somewhere they don't know the language, culture, etc.

Just my opinion.

I am not sure more underclassmen enter the draft and stay in it now than did before the G-League came about. Do you have proof otherwise?

If more aren't entering the draft and staying in it than the G-League isn't hurting college basketball but instead creating opportunities to play professionally domestically

What happened before the G league? Would Coffee have gone overseas for a few years or something?

Honestly I think Gophs could be a better *team* built on Mashburn, Robbins, Gabe, Gach, Ihnen, Williams and maybe Mitchell next year.

I doubt he'll get drafted, but some team will sign him after the draft and make him a g league player. I dont know if he'll be a two way player, most likely not. Strictly g league. I dont see him coming back and doing this all over again. Rooting for the guy, but won't miss him.

Just my opinion.
This is just me, I realize not everyone would feel the same.

Getting to go overseas is a treat. New culture, new food, new language. New things to see and try. Maybe a romantic fling. I'm sure you won't live like a king in a mansion, but you'll probably make a decent salary and share a decent apartment with a roommate on the team. Have some great times.

What is possibly bad about that?? Sounds aces to me.

Getting to go overseas is a treat. New culture, new food, new language. New things to see and try. Maybe a romantic fling. I'm sure you won't live like a king in a mansion, but you'll probably make a decent salary and share a decent apartment with a roommate on the team. Have some great times.

I was on a flight to Iceland years ago. I was sitting next to a kid who had just signed with the team there. We talked hoops in general for a bit,etc. and it was pretty apparent that he knew absolutely nothing about Iceland (I had been there before). He was scared to be honest. I tried to make it sound 'cool' but he wasn't biting. I wish I remembered his name.. I do remember he muttered, "wtf..." when we landed and he saw the landscape (looks very barren and moon like when you land.) I didn't get the vibe that he was going to be ok there. Hopefully he met a nice girl.

Last edited:

I was on a flight to Iceland years ago. I was sitting next to a kid who had just signed with the team there. We talked hoops in general for a bit,etc. and it was pretty apparent that he knew absolutely nothing about Iceland (I had been there before). He was scared to be honest. I tried to make it sound 'cool' but he wasn't biting. I wish I remembered his name.. I do remember he muttered, "wtf..." when we landed and he saw the landscape (looks very barren and moon like when you land. I didn't get the vibe that he was going to be ok there. Hopefully he met a nice girl.
Sure.

Iceland is also a bit unique from say playing in France, Germany, Italy, and so on.

Extremely expensive, small, isolated, homogeneous population. Was definitely not what I had in mind, and would not be at the top of my list of recommendations for Carr.

My college roommate spent 6 years there in 5 different countries. If you aren't at the highest level, not great money and small arenas. Very isolating, usually the only American on a team due to rules. Pay can be very inconsistent too. Not all bad, you are getting paid to play a sport, but he said, remember Europe on vacation is much different that Europe working. Good analogy would be Europeans come here to visit a place like NYC or Miami, but look where our G League teams are: Erie PA, Fort Wayne IN, Southaven MS. Most of the guys go over there to play for teams in European comparable cities, not Paris, London, or Barcelona.

I guessed G League, but it could just as easily be overseas. So much of what turns out to the be correct answer will be based on Marcus' preference and the state of the world in regards to Covid-19. In the past, you could make significantly more money overseas, but the G league provided a more direct route to the NBA especially for the current season.

I hope he's in the NBA eventually, it's just getting tougher and tougher to carve a niche as 6'2 guard especially one who isn't lights out from the perimeter. Look at some of the really good Kansas guards of the last decade or so and how little time they've spent in the NBA and especially in NBA rotations.

My college roommate spent 6 years there in 5 different countries. If you aren't at the highest level, not great money and small arenas. Very isolating, usually the only American on a team due to rules. Pay can be very inconsistent too. Not all bad, you are getting paid to play a sport, but he said, remember Europe on vacation is much different that Europe working. Good analogy would be Europeans come here to visit a place like NYC or Miami, but look where our G League teams are: Erie PA, Fort Wayne IN, Southaven MS. Most of the guys go over there to play for teams in European comparable cities, not Paris, London, or Barcelona.
Fair enough.

Only thing I can say to that is: wouldn't Carr be in a fairly "top level" Euro league?

Fair enough.

Only thing I can say to that is: wouldn't Carr be in a fairly "top level" Euro league?

Probably in a pretty good league. Could definitely see him in Spain’s Liga or something similar. That is high level hoops as far as I’m concerned. The top Greek league is well regarded too

Fair enough.

My guess is he probably would. I think in, let's say Spanish La Liga, the teams can have 2 or 3 non-EU players. One thing I have heard is that many European teams are very inconsistent about the player development and playing time of their Americans due to the fact that they know most are playing with the goal of getting back to the US.

But I agree with you that I would love the experience as a young player to spend a few seasons in Europe making a few Euros.

Honestly I think Gophs could be a better *team* built on Mashburn, Robbins, Gabe, Gach, Ihnen, Williams and maybe Mitchell next year.

Maybe. Let's be honest though. What game have the gophers won this year that Carr hasn't gone off and scored a ton or hit a last minute shot?

Maybe. Let's be honest though. What game have the gophers won this year that Carr hasn't gone off and scored a ton or hit a last minute shot?
The two I can think of are the Michigan and Ohio State home wins. He had really good games, but he wasn't the leading scorer or hit a last minute shot.

The two I can think of are the Michigan and Ohio State home wins. He had really good games, but he wasn't the leading scorer or hit a last minute shot.
Hmm, maybe there is something to that, then?

What about the Iowa (OT) and Purdue wins? Those I believe are arguably the other two noteworthy wins.

Hmm, maybe there is something to that, then?

What about the Iowa (OT) and Purdue wins? Those I believe are arguably the other two noteworthy wins.
Your right about Iowa and Purdue ... He hit some huge shots in those 2 games. Also of note for those 2 games, Brandon went off against Iowa and Gabe had a good game with 3 key 2nd-half 3's against Purdue. It wasn't as if he carried the team on his own.

Top Bottom