POLL - What would you pay PJ Poll?

What would you pay PJ Poll?

• Total voters
Let's be clear, I'm not doing anything. I said earlier in the thread the Gophers should put him in the $5 million plus range, I think they should keep him. That being said, I'm not going to fault the AD if he waits to see how the rest of the season unfolds before making a decision.

Would you fault the AD if he waits to see, the Gophers go 2-2 or better over the last 4 games before a bowl bid, and the U gets outbid for Coach Fleck's services?

Jeff Brohm got $5.x in his extension at Purdue. I think something like that for Fleck is reasonable, if we can afford it.

"
Assuming Brohm remains Purdue’s coach through the 2019 season, he will earn $5.35 million in the first year of the deal. His compensation increases to $5.55 million during the 2020 season. In 2021, Brohm’s salary drops to $4.9 million but increases $200,000 the next season and $100,000 through the remainder of the contract, which ends in 2025.
"

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019/4/12/18307903/jeff-brohm-contract-extension

We could do as some have suggested, and "wait and see" how the next four games play out, but I'm puzzled by that approach.

What is the purpose of "wait and see", exactly?

Is it to make sure he's the right coach?

Is it to gather additional data — i.e., to find out how his team performs against top competition?

As for the first possible reason, I've already listed his accomplishments: he's winning at an historic level, the team has excellent academics, there is laudable and visible community involvement, etc. I really don't know how much more information you need in regards to the question of what we've found in P.J. Fleck.

If the need to "wait and see" it has more to do with finding out how the team stacks up against the likes of Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin — well, then I'm curious about how the end game might play out.

If the team finishes, say, 2-2 — do you pay more, or less than you'd pay if you extended him right now? Or... do you "wait and see" for an even longer period of time?

If, on the other hand, the team goes 4-0, might you not end up having to pay more than if you extend him right now? That doesn't sound too smart to me. But then, I'm no expert on negotiating contracts.

We should pay him whatever it takes to keep him here. I don't have the research and connections to know what that number is but whatever it is we should pay it.

When they were raising money for athletes village, one of the justifications was that a top 10 AP poll finish would increase applicants the same as decreasing tuition between 6% and 32%. If it's worth spending $166 million to work towards that it's worth spending whatever it takes to keep Fleck here. I can guarantee we won't ever have a top 10 finish if we keep getting new coaches every few years because we won't pay the old ones.

I think wait and see simply means wait until the end of the season. The real reason to do it is to gather the full body of work, it’s a prudent corse of action. It may not change the headline number much, but it could move some of the other terms quite a bit, like bonuses, term of the contract, buy out, etc.

We should pay him whatever it takes to keep him here. I don't have the research and connections to know what that number is but whatever it is we should pay it.

I think there is very little risk of this not happening. I think both parties first need to figure out what that number is, and second come to agreement on it. I think that’s the biggest reason for waiting until the end of the season.

I think he is paid fairly right now but any more wins besides Northwestern in November and beyond are going to cost the U some serious $$$

If Jeff Brohm can be one of the top 10 paid coaches in the country at Purdue there is absolutely no reason to let PJ walk for $$ reasons

I'd bump him up to the $5m to $6m range with incentives and add a minimum of 2 additional seasons to his deal

How about $10 million, but he has to give back $500K for every time out called in the 1st or 3rd quarter of a game?

So, you’d rather they stayed in whatever bad play that was called, and get stuffed or throw an interception?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you’d rather they stayed in whatever bad play that was called, and get stuffed or throw an interception?

Too funny!

Minnesotans are the only fan base that can immediately find some bizarre, trivial nit to pick in the aftermath of a win by 6 touchdowns.

I mean, you can't make it up.

If Jeff Brohm can be one of the top 10 paid coaches in the country at Purdue there is absolutely no reason to let PJ walk for $$ reasons

I'd bump him up to the $5m to $6m range with incentives and add a minimum of 2 additional seasons to his deal
Do you think Brohm is one of the top 10 coaches in the country? If so, I can’t argue with your conclusion. If, however, you don’t think he is that good, then I think that illustrates the danger / of letting one season and a single victory (OhSt) influence these decisions.

FACT:
PJ and Brohm were hired at the same time and have the same conference record now.
PJ has a far better non-conference record (including bowl games).
PJ's next non-conference loss will be his FIRST at Minnesota.

Do you think Brohm is one of the top 10 coaches in the country? If so, I can’t argue with your conclusion. If, however, you don’t think he is that good, then I think that illustrates the danger / of letting one season and a single victory (OhSt) influence these decisions.

Purdue didn't do it because of Ohio State, they did it because of Darrell Hazell and Danny Hope.

Gophers are 8-0 for the first time since the 1941 National Championship team.

Gophers have won 10 straight. When was the last time?

Gophers are leading the B1G West by 2 games with four to play.

We are in uncharted territory, right now. And Jeff Brohm can only dream of this level of success.

Securing Fleck right now would hardly be based on a "single victory". And it's not looking like this is a "one season" phenomenon to me.

We aren't Michigan.
We aren't Ohio St.

We need to pay the coach more to keep him and to achieve the same results.

Michigan and OSU are already built.

We are still building and it will take a decade if we want it to change. That cost more money than maintaining OSU, PSU, or Michigan.

Look at what Nebraska is paying their National Championship Coach. He's about the least progressive coach in the Big Ten. He thinks wearing hoodies is why they lose games.

Let's be clear, I'm not doing anything. I said earlier in the thread the Gophers should put him in the $5 million plus range, I think they should keep him. That being said, I'm not going to fault the AD if he waits to see how the rest of the season unfolds before making a decision.

I think Frost is a good comparable: led a group of 5 team to a great record prior to becoming a Big Ten coach. Frost is making $5 million. I think PJ should get about $5.5-$6 million to make up for the underpayment during his first few years.

I like PJ, but I might be in the minority in that I wouldn't sign him to a big dollar extension right now. It's weird that we could end up with the best conference record of my lifetime at 6-3 but I'd personally be left with a real sour taste by a 9-3 regular season that included losing the one trophy we currently have in our case and watching one of our bitter rivals play in Indy. Things seem great at this moment, but a lot of this momentum really goes away if the season ends poorly. To be willing to sign up for the type of extension that the Gophers can't get out of for 4 or more years if things go poorly, we need to see a little more.

Whatever he wants. You lock him up now and if it doesn't work out then you deal with that down the road. Much easier to try and hold onto a known quantity (who i still trending upward in a huge way) then it is to try and find "the next Fleck". Fleck so far has been a god send to Gophers football and letting him go for any reason short of legal ones would be a disaster

Whatever he wants. You lock him up now and if it doesn't work out then you deal with that down the road. Much easier to try and hold onto a known quantity (who i still trending upward in a huge way) then it is to try and find "the next Fleck". <b>Fleck so far has been a god send </b>to Gophers football and letting him go for any reason short of legal ones would be a disaster

We should probably sign him then. It would be unrealistic to expect God to get involved again.

I wonder if this entire 'debate' is really about bigger issues.

When I was at the U, back in the mid-seventies, it seemed there were people of influence at the U who were not exactly smitten with the idea of putting effort and resources toward rebuilding the Gopher football program.

To this day, there seems to be a general lack of enthusiasm — at least when compared to schools like Wisconsin and Iowa.

And we must be honest: it's undeniable that football is not the main purpose of an institution like the U.

But it really comes down to this question:

Are we in, or are we out?

If we decide that we are in, then I think we should be in 100%. I really don't think that type of commitment has always been apparent at the U.

I’ll ask again: is there really anyone who does NOT think Fleck is going to get at least some amount of raise and extension, based at least on what has already happened?

They could lose the last four and the bowl game, and he still would.

So enough with the accusations about being “bad fans” and not “all in”, and all that crap. Put a sock in it.

All of our plays are called at the line of scrimmage...

FACT:
PJ and Brohm were hired at the same time and have the same conference record now.
PJ has a far better non-conference record (including bowl games).
PJ's next non-conference loss will be his FIRST at Minnesota.

Brohm has played two P5 schools in non-conference games in each of his 3 seasons as coach at Purdue. Mizzu, BC, Vandy, Louisville. In some cases those teams were ranked at the time.

All of our plays are called at the line of scrimmage...

Here is the chain of events:

1) Call timeouts, to make sure they have the correct personnel on the field to match the situation, and to be certain that everyone is on the same page, at a point in the game that the coach feels these things are important and worth burning a timeout.

2) Success! Win the game by six touchdowns.

3) Expect nit-pickers to do what they do.

I’d say they did it because of Louisville.

Agree and I would add, why wait until a different team forces MN into the same position... control things now while you can and eliminate last minute emotional decisions... Give him your best shot now (everybody knows he isn't at the max MN could pay) and then if he decides to leave, wave goodbye on friendly terms... and start searching for another up and coming coach and start all over again.

Me? I'd like Fleck to be here 30 years. I'd like the U to want him for that long too and if they do, then show it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree and I would add, why wait until a different team forces MN into the same position... control things now while you can and eliminate last minute emotional decisions... Give him your best shot now (everybody knows he isn't at the max MN could pay) and then if he decides to leave, wave goodbye on friendly terms... and start searching for another up and coming coach and start all over again.

Me? I'd like Fleck to be here 30 years. I'd like the U to want him for that long too and if they do, then show it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Too big of a distraction to do it during the season. It will come, after the season is over. Patience

Top Bottom