Poll: What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his first career start?

• A

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • B

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • C

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • D

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Given the circumstances gave him a C. Made some plays. Didn’t fold up like a cheap suit. Misfired at times but arm talent is evident. Stat line isn’t great but he didn’t get a lot of help. Definitely has a lot of potential and gives some hope for the future.

B.

Could not have been a more difficult atmosphere for your first start. He moved well and extended the passing plays as best he could given the protection he had. Did he take a sack? 1? Threw it away when he had to. Didn't get much help from the receivers. I'm quite ok with what I saw.

C. Was decent. Hopefully will get better with experience. Has some arm talent

I’m hoping the Gophers will be active in the transfer portal this offseason. That goes for QB and WR

C... He was put in bad situations, so many 3rd and longs. Wasn't even allowed to pass until the 2nd qtr.

Solid B. Have to take into account what he has to work with.

A superior-talent RB and then it drops off from there.

Not sure if any of his runs were called from the box but that is something Tanner has only brought to the table as a 6th Year Senior.

Really didn't realize how spoiled we were with Tyler, Bateman, and CrAB as our receivers in 2019. It really shows now.

Athan did very well. Period.

B. I'm grading on a curve. The setting was about as hard as it gets for a new QB. His receivers sucked...again. His O-line wasn't in sync and left several defenders unblocked at times. He created some nice plays from nothing a few times which is really promising.

Solid B. He was good, the future is bright if the O line improves.

Solid B. He has to overcome a bad to mediocre line, coaches who won't take the shackles off and a bad WR corp. There's only so much he can do. No terrible mistakes. Some good running instincts and a couple of nice long throws.

I'm giving him an Incomplete.

Hard to grade him when he's playing with a conservative game plan, a shaky offensive line, and WR's who can't get open or catch the ball consistently.

he does seem to be more comfortable on the "zip" passes as opposed to the "touch" passes, but hopefully that will improve with experience.

going forward, the big question is whether the coaches will design an offense that allows AK to play to his strengths. He is not Tanner Morgan, so don't ask him to run a Tanner Morgan offense.

B

I loved his command of the huddle and he looked to have no fear at all.

I loved his legs as the game wore on.

I love the way he throws the ball. that one he dropped into brockington was a thing of beauty. He did the same to Jackson about 30 yards down the sideline but he was blanketed.

He seems to have some pocket awareness. He threw it away a few times when necessary.

I just love the poise and command of the huddle. He can only get better.

I'm giving him an Incomplete.

Hard to grade him when he's playing with a conservative game plan, a shaky offensive line, and WR's who can't get open or catch the ball consistently.

he does seem to be more comfortable on the "zip" passes as opposed to the "touch" passes, but hopefully that will improve with experience.

going forward, the big question is whether the coaches will design an offense that allows AK to play to his strengths. He is not Tanner Morgan, so don't ask him to run a Tanner Morgan offense.
Fair take to a point.

According to Coach, Athan and Ciarocca knew on Monday he would be the guy. They worked all week within what we are now to set him up for success. In that respect, this was his debut...

If anything that makes tonight his floor and if that's the case, then I really like the ceiling IF as you correctly note the coaches can design an offense that works to his strengths.

Unfortunately we're about to run into a big downside of the same guy at QB for 5 seasons (I think)...actually adapting to a new QB across the board...

Also, by the way, we miss CrAB very much...

Top Bottom