Votes: 31 24.8%
  • McLaurin

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Estes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ok so a guy that couldn't beat out a QB that went to Brown is going to win a B1G West title?

From what I recall of Green's situation in high school is that he transferred to a major football factory in Texas. The guy that played the majority of the snaps had been there for quite some time and was very familiar with the coaching staff and the system. Suggesting Green can't be good because he didn't play more than "a QB that went to Brown" is rather silly.

Bottom line, I have no idea what will happen at QB. I could make an equally strong case for Croft, Rhoda, Green, or Morgan. We should have a better idea after spring practice.

How do you figure that?

A good program doesn't "waste" a year to let a guy get better, so that the team can win more games a year from now. A good program plays the guy who gives them a chance to win in every game. What happens a year from now when they recruit another QB who has the potential to be even better? Do they play him so they can be good in 2020?
Whoever the best QB is during the spring should be the #1 QB going into fall camp. If that guy is still the best QB, then he should play. It would be a major mistake to play a guy this fall, just to get him experience, because he might be better in two years. It also really doesn't say much to your current roster when you are building for the future. What player on the team is going to buy in when the best person isn't out on the field?

I believe Croft will be or Morgan if he is ready. Croft best passer on team from previous staff but didn't fit read option. I have feeling this offense fits Croft better.

A good program doesn't "waste" a year to let a guy get better, so that the team can win more games a year from now. A good program plays the guy who gives them a chance to win in every game. What happens a year from now when they recruit another QB who has the potential to be even better? Do they play him so they can be good in 2020?
Whoever the best QB is during the spring should be the #1 QB going into fall camp. If that guy is still the best QB, then he should play. It would be a major mistake to play a guy this fall, just to get him experience, because he might be better in two years. It also really doesn't say much to your current roster when you are building for the future. What player on the team is going to buy in when the best person isn't out on the field?

If player A is marginally worse than player B in 2017, but by playing player A in 2017 he develops to be much better in 2018 than player B would have been in 2017, then I don't mind playing player A. Also if the best player isn't going to get you to the level of wins you're looking for, then you might as well build for the future. I'd rather win 6 games in 2017 and 10 games in 2018, than 8 games each year. Granted I realize its not so cut and dry as that.

If you continually do that, play a guy to build for the future, when does it end?
To me you play the guy who gives you the best chance to win. If halfway through the season you are not having the kind of season that you thought, then look at building for next year by getting a different guy some time.

We have struggled with consistent winning for quite some time. The past few years have been better. Would like to see that trend continue and feel PJF can make it happen. But, it should start with this year, not 2018. If Rhoda emerges as the best QB, then he should play, the other QB's will then get another year in the system to learn and develop and can fight it out in the Spring to see who will start in 2018. If it's Croft, Green or even Morgan, then they play and the other fight for the back up role

What leads you to believe McLaurin will be the best one? We know he can run. It's his passing ability I have questions about. Unfortunately, the highlight videos don't reveal much, because it's almost all short passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN appears to have him rated as the #1 JUCO quarterback and the ESPN scouting report on McLaurin is pretty complementary about his abilities as a passing quarterback.

"STRENGTHS: Crafty athlete and gunslinging thrower with excellent arm strength. ball pops off his hand and he can drive the ball into tight spots. Can get really hot and stroke the ball with ease and power to all areas of the field. Consistent fundamentals. Good feet, can navigate the pocket and buy time. Ideal spread player. Savvy pocket presence. ... AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: Accuracy can be erratic. Will hit and miss the strike zone. Must be careful not to spray the ball around. ... BOTTOM LINE: It is really easy to like McLaurin's ability to get rid of the ball. He has some nice physical tools and could compete early in the spread, especially if there is an immediate need."

Don't hate Green at all, he's a great athlete, just don't think he'll make it at QB. I'm excited Winfield and Shenault are back, they will definitely help next year. After Leidner, I'm just ready for a QB that can throw the ball around. Not sure it'll be this year though. I think it'll be Rhoda or maybe Croft if he doesn't transfer and hopefully Morgan can redshirt. Then next year Morgan and whoever they bring in can compete for the job.

Yeah OK, you want a QB that can throw the ball around then you say you think Rhoda will be the guy? We've seen Rhoda in games just throwing the ball all over the place...:rolleyes:

ESPN appears to have him rated as the #1 JUCO quarterback and the ESPN scouting report on McLaurin is pretty complementary about his abilities as a passing quarterback.

"STRENGTHS: Crafty athlete and gunslinging thrower with excellent arm strength. ball pops off his hand and he can drive the ball into tight spots. Can get really hot and stroke the ball with ease and power to all areas of the field. Consistent fundamentals. Good feet, can navigate the pocket and buy time. Ideal spread player. Savvy pocket presence. ... AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: Accuracy can be erratic. Will hit and miss the strike zone. Must be careful not to spray the ball around. ... BOTTOM LINE: It is really easy to like McLaurin's ability to get rid of the ball. He has some nice physical tools and could compete early in the spread, especially if there is an immediate need."

I guess we'll have to wait and see. 247 had him rated as the 7th best JUCO dual threat QB. Also, his only other offers were from Northwestern State, Southeast Louisiana, and Troy. That's not an impressive offer list for a QB with 3 years of eligibility left.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Neil-McLaurin-100689/RecruitInterests

I don't care who emerges, as long as one of them is competent.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. 247 had him rated as the 7th best JUCO dual threat QB. Also, his only other offers were from Northwestern State, Southeast Louisiana, and Troy. That's not an impressive offer list for a QB with 3 years of eligibility left.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Neil-McLaurin-100689/RecruitInterests

I don't care who emerges, as long as one of them is competent.

Why would you necessarily trust 247 more than ESPN? Does 247 have money to pay for information or do they just copy and paste what they compile from other places? ESPN is very likely the richest cable channel (and has other for-pay media) and could afford to pay professional scouting services for information.

As far as where his offers were from, that doesn't mean as much in football as in it does in basketball. Lots of players from lower tier athletic universities play in the NFL. Since you brought up Troy, I believe that is the alma mater of Demarcus Ware.

Why would you necessarily trust 247 more than ESPN? Does 247 have money to pay for information or do they just copy and paste what they compile from other places? ESPN is very likely the richest cable channel (and has other for-pay media) and could afford to pay professional scouting services for information.

As far as where his offers were from, that doesn't mean as much in football as in it does in basketball. Lots of players from lower tier athletic universities play in the NFL. Since you brought up Troy, I believe that is the alma mater of Demarcus Ware.

ESPN is a glaring outlier on McLauren. They must have tape on him that isn't available on the web, because I couldn't find the one that confirmed the traits they described, other than his superior mobility.

As I said, I don't care who emerges. I don't have anti-McLauren bias.

Don't hate Green at all, he's a great athlete, just don't think he'll make it at QB. I'm excited Winfield and Shenault are back, they will definitely help next year. After Leidner, I'm just ready for a QB that can throw the ball around. Not sure it'll be this year though. I think it'll be Rhoda or maybe Croft if he doesn't transfer and hopefully Morgan can redshirt. Then next year Morgan and whoever they bring in can compete for the job.

I know you're basing a lot of this on his time in Texas, and I don't blame you. But I saw Connor Rhoda play almost every single HS game that he played, Seth Green was a better passer than him as a SO. If losing the job to Mitchell Johnke is the reason why you don't like someone as a QB, I promise you, Rhoda would never have split time with Johnke. Rhoda split time with a QB who was not near the player that Johnke was at Cretin.

I agree that Morgan or QBs like Morgan are probably our future. However, I would be really surprised if Croft or Green weren't the best passers on our team in 2017.

Top Bottom