Point Guard Play

98VQueens

Reaction score
Joseph did some good things and some terrible things. Overall he had a decent-good game. I was most pleased about him hitting 7 of 8 from the line.

People have posted that Devoe being forced to filling in at point has burden on him (partially true), but it is also the best thing that could of happened to him and his game. Hopefully it will make him a better, more well rounded player for the Gophers the next two years...

No kidding...the decisions and TO's by our guards in the last 4-5 minutes gave me an aneurysm.

He still scares me when the ball is in his hands, epically late in the game. If Deove can continue knocking down his free throws, that would be a big help. Even Nolen tweeted about it during the game.

I've enjoyed seeing Devoe at the point full time. Neither Joseph or Nolen are perfect point guards, but I prefer to see my point guard have some semblance of an offensive game.

Immaturity is the real issue. The skills are there. Luckily maturity is easier to gain than skills.

Cory could definitely help this team. Devoe has done a good job making a tough transition from 2 to 1 in mid-season. I think he would do a lot better at the 2.

Front court looks to be improving by leaps and bounds - so to speak.

Back court would look considerably better with Cory.

I've enjoyed seeing Devoe at the point full time. Neither Joseph or Nolen are perfect point guards, but I prefer to see my point guard have some semblance of an offensive game.

Al averaged 6.7 PPG this season, since Nolen was declared ineligible Devoe has averaged 9.4 PPG (Only 2.7 points per game more). I would take Al's points + defense & assists over Devoe any day - NO QUESTION, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Point was a bit scary at the end. But wasn't Bobby Jackson a point guard? Or whatever he was I still remember the NCAA Tourney games that year. Seeming all the games, at least the last 3 in the tourney up until the semi final game against UCLA that we lost. Every game went down to the wire, that was a hell of a run that year.

Should have had DVR's back then, instead of worthless VHS tape. At the end, Bobby would get the ball on the throw in, dribble down and set the offense, or if he got fouled he'd make two free throws. He was automatic, he was constantly hitting the free throws, never missed at the end of a game in the tourney.

But he was a senior, Jackson may not have pulled that off as a soph.

Point was a bit scary at the end. But wasn't Bobby Jackson a point guard? Or whatever he was I still remember the NCAA Tourney games that year.

Bobby Jackson was the 2 guard. Eric Harris played the point. They were both superb defensively and very seldom turned the ball over. BJ was Big Ten POY and Defensive POY. But Harris was the point.

This team is a lock in the NCAA tourney with Nolen still playing. The perimeter defense lost the games against MSU and NW for sure. All 3 starting guards are mediocre to poor defenders.

Al averaged 6.7 PPG this season, since Nolen was declared ineligible Devoe has averaged 9.4 PPG (Only 2.7 points per game more). I would take Al's points + defense & assists over Devoe any day - NO QUESTION, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

At the point, AN is a better defender and ball handler but I think Devoe is a better shooter and 'play maker'.

Top Bottom