Playoff

The scenario with three 'semi-finals' sounds like a recipe for disaster. Imagine 3&4 in the RB while 1 plays 6 and 2 plays 5. Then the Rose Bowl winner is left out of he NCG?

The scenario with three 'semi-finals' sounds like a recipe for disaster. Imagine 3&4 in the RB while 1 plays 6 and 2 plays 5. Then the Rose Bowl winner is left out of he NCG?

With a six team play-off (without byes) 1 always plays 6, 2 always plays 5, and 3 always plays 4. In any such scenario, the 3 and 4 teams are always hoping the 1 or 2 go down to enhance their positioning.

The WCHA play-offs are a perfect example. In that case, the 3 and 4 teams can get a bye if the 1 or 2 go down in the first round.

In this case, it's roughly the same.

What if the RB teams are 1 and 2? Is that fair to them? Hard to say...

If you go to the USA today article, there's a link to read the entire plan.

In the Scenario mentioned, If the B1G and Pac-12 teams are among the top 4, they would still play in the Rose Bowl. The other 2 playoff games would match the 4 remaining highest-seeded teams.

Then, after all 3 games are played, someone (a committee?) would pick 2 of the 3 winners to play in the national championship game. So, the Rose Bowl winner could still play in the Championship game.

Can you say "Cluster****?"

I'm not a big BCS fan, but if that's the best alternative they can come up with, then leave the current setup alone.

Terrible. Weren't they trying to get the playoff system set up so there would be no question who deserves to be in the NCG? This is a terrible idea. Nothing but more question marks and teams getting snubbed. In this format, there would be one team snubbed every year. Stupid.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2010/week/15

Two seasons ago, week 15. Pick team #4.

IMO 8 teams leaves no doubt you got the right top 4 teams and eventual champion. I know the goal is to pick the number one team, but even if you look at this season you can say that anything could have happened in a 4 team playoff.

8 teams also leaves no doubt that multiple teams who were demonstrably NOT the best team over the course of the season still get a (roughly equal) shot at the championship. And it kills the amazing weeks every season where a team that was supposed to compete for #1 gets shocked by a nobody and loses their chance.

I couldn't hate this playoff BS more.

8 teams also leaves no doubt that multiple teams who were demonstrably NOT the best team over the course of the season still get a (roughly equal) shot at the championship. And it kills the amazing weeks every season where a team that was supposed to compete for #1 gets shocked by a nobody and loses their chance.

I couldn't hate this playoff BS more.

Not if they do it right. The only way I'd be happy with 8 teams if at the least the 1st round was played at the higher seed. Boise St. would have a much harder time going into Death Valley to win than if it were played somewhere neutral.

Top Bottom