Play to win, PJ

Athan's pass to the tight end was off, otherwise a second round of overtimes. But PJ does seem to have so many games go down to the wire because he doesn't keep scoring when ahead. Firing him would probably only makes things worse - the Gophers don't have much a future in an 18-team league with seven perennial powers.

No, play to be sharing and giving. socially and emotionally and good neat super guys.

we shared and gave the game away to NW. because PJ and AK ain't it.

Not anymore. Wouldn't shock me if PJ's mind is already on the MSU job and in IDGAF mode here...

Athan's pass to the tight end was off, otherwise a second round of overtimes. But PJ does seem to have so many games go down to the wire because he doesn't keep scoring when ahead. Firing him would probably only makes things worse - the Gophers don't have much a future in an 18-team league with seven perennial powers.
I thought it was a bad pass. Even though AK had good numbers I really thought the NW QB was way better

Like going for it on 4th and 1 and getting a TD?
He has zero offensive coordinator. Harbaugh is worse the linevrover We won’t win if he keeps play calling. And Taylor was our whole offense. Just a fricking pathetic loss

PJ does not call the plays for the offense, we have “co-offensive coordinators” who have no desire to win and called plays with absolutely no intent of trying to score only kill clock. Blaming this loss on PJ is pointless

PJ does not call the plays for the offense, we have “co-offensive coordinators” who have no desire to win and called plays with absolutely no intent of trying to score only kill clock. Blaming this loss on PJ is pointless
Who do the offensive coordinators report to?

We are limited with our quarterback situation. Athan cannot hit his second read and he does not throw a catchable ball. The coaching staff is aware of this...hence the offense being boring as hell and predictable

10 other teams in the same boat. Used to be big 2 little 8; pretty soon big 7 little 11. Don't know if any of the 11 could row enough to matter.

S
I thought it was a bad pass. Even though AK had good numbers I really thought the NW QB was way better
Without doubt the easy OT pass to BSF was poor but it was catchable. Good TEs make the catch more often than not. For the game AK had a higher completion percentage than the NW WB and both gained 8 yards per throw average. AK rushed for 34 yards, his counterpart six. Add that yardage to attempts (pass and run) and AK accounted for more yards per play than Bryant.

Had they used the passing game in the second half it would have been a comfortable win.

They are executing what Fleck wants.

We are limited with our quarterback situation. Athan cannot hit his second read and he does not throw a catchable ball. The coaching staff is aware of this...hence the offense being boring as hell and predictable
The guy who does not throw a catchable ball completed 76% of his throws with two drops included. NW completed 67%.

S

Without doubt the easy OT pass to BSF was poor but it was catchable. Good TEs make the catch more often than not. For the game AK had a higher completion percentage than the NW WB and both gained 8 yards per throw average. AK rushed for 34 yards, his counterpart six. Add that yardage to attempts (pass and run) and AK accounted for more yards per play than Bryant.

Had they used the passing game in the second half it would have been a comfortable win.
Yeah, it sucks having that sinking feeling as the 4th quarter started and the momentum began shifting, that Fleck was in full lockdown conservative mode. Athan had a good performance overshadowed by the "how and why" of the loss. I can only hope something changes for Saturday's game.

Yeah, it sucks having that sinking feeling as the 4th quarter started and the momentum began shifting, that Fleck was in full lockdown conservative mode. Athan had a good performance overshadowed by the "how and why" of the loss. I can only hope something changes for Saturday's game.
Going into the 4th quarter, two things were evident: a} the passing game was successful; and b} the running back was getting worn down. {What no one could imagine was the total breakdown in pass coverage our defense was about to display).

We had scored 31 points. You keeping playing a balanced offensive game because it had been successful. We didn't need to put it all on the defense to save the game.

Going into the 4th quarter, two things were evident: a} the passing game was successful; and b} the running back was getting worn down. {What no one could imagine was the total breakdown in pass coverage our defense was about to display).

We had scored 31 points. You keeping playing a balanced offensive game because it had been successful. We didn't need to put it all on the defense to save the game.
You ALWAYS keep hammering away at the opponent until they relent. PJ always stops prematurely. He has gotten lucky many times in the past, some big play made to save a game that should never have needed saving. On Saturday, it caught him and the team bigtime. If he doesn’t learn his coaching career will tumble.

PJ thinks, no he is convinced, that he is playing to win. Easy to do when you have Antoine Winfield Jr and Mo Ibrahim types to carry you — a lot harder coaching job when you don’t. He’ll have to fail quite a bit more before he’ll change his best; unfortunately.

I’ve seen quite a few comments this past week also about how boring it is to watch Fleckball. That is completely legit and completely preventable while still within the overall scope trying of using ball control to win a ball game.

I’m also convinced that without KC around PJ has nobody on his coaching staff who will tell him to get his shit together. Could be a long year, however, I also think PJ is pissed off enough to maybe change things enough to help us get back on the right path.

No, play to be sharing and giving. socially and emotionally and good neat super guys.

we shared and gave the game away to NW. because PJ and AK ain't it.

Not anymore. Wouldn't shock me if PJ's mind is already on the MSU job and in IDGAF mode here...
He is probably their tenth choice

PJ thinks, no he is convinced, that he is playing to win. Easy to do when you have Antoine Winfield Jr and Mo Ibrahim types to carry you — a lot harder coaching job when you don’t. He’ll have to fail quite a bit more before he’ll change his best; unfortunately.

I’ve seen quite a few comments this past week also about how boring it is to watch Fleckball. That is completely legit and completely preventable while still within the overall scope trying of using ball control to win a ball game.

I’m also convinced that without KC around PJ has nobody on his coaching staff who will tell him to get his shit together. Could be a long year, however, I also think PJ is pissed off enough to maybe change things enough to help us get back on the right path.
You control the ball and clock by making first downs. Doesn’t matter how they come. Penn St ran 97 plays on the Iowa defense, 50 were passes.

You control the ball and clock by making first downs. Doesn’t matter how they come. Penn St ran 97 plays on the Iowa defense, 50 were passes.
Correction: PSU threw 40 times and ran 57.

When NW scored to make it 31-17 Kiddo said he thought we still had enough points to win.

All I said was "watch this."

Afterwards to the last second of OT Coach and the team turned me into Nostradamus.

No clairvoyance was needed. Although momentum does not exist in the mind of one it is real in football games...and the momentum swing that last 20 minutes of the game was hugely apparent. You could see that Coach knew it too and had no answer. Not good.

Improve your best Gophers.

If you read the notes from PJ's presser today, it's pretty clear we're in line for more of the same. He said he didn't consider going for it on 4th and 3 at the end of the 4th quarter. He seemed to blame the 3rd down failure on Darius Taylor bouncing it too far outside: "Best play call available, what we have based on their double legal look and I love the call. But the way its run is maybe the way you run a 3rd and 2 in the second quarter. The situation within the play matters more thand just the play call and that's where the young back will understand that." Then on his decision making after that "If we get a yard, we're going for it or it gets knocked backed and we're gonna punt right?" And the field goal (!) came in to play maybe if we got enough where I felt like this is going to be good, but a field goal was almost pretty much out of it. Just because it was going to be 55 plus into the wind and the wind got a little stronger as the game went on." How the F do you get enough on a 3rd and 2 to allow you to attempt a FG? That's just borderline insane regardless of the conditions. You feel good enough from 54, but whoa pump the breaks at trying from 55 or 56? To me that perfectly exemplifies what we've seen from PJ in these 4th down decisions for years now. The idea that going for it from the 37 was out of the question because it was 3 or 3.5 yards to go instead of 1 is just ridiculous. Unless you could pick it up with a QB sneak, a simple running play should have been out of the question with how pathetic the short yardage game had been. We would have needed to break out some sort of a wrinkle in the run game (option, reverse, qb naked, etc) or pass the ball and in either scneario the play would be designed to get more than just a yard or two.

I am not saying you need to go for it in that specific situation, but the idea that it was out of the question is troubling. This stat really tells all: Northwestern ran FOURTEEN plays in 2:05 with zero timeouts to tie that game. The clock can't be looked at as you friend until much later than PJ thinks.

Alas. I guess we won’t be needing to add that third deck to Bank Stadium. 😞

Top Bottom