Play of the game yesterday

Stan

Reaction score
First drive of the second half, MSU was driving pretty easily inside our 10, their crowd was getting into it and we caused that huge fumble. It was kind of an odd response by both teams because neither really realized what happened. I didn’t see a replay to see who caused it, but what a massive play.

The ball is the program.

Great thread, excellent observation.

We're all talking today about our offensive resurgence under Ciarrocca, but our defense under Rossi is just as crucial. Our defense was top 5 in the nation all of last season, and they look just as formidable this year.

We have a bit of an inferiority complex if we think we were going to be in a tight game if MSU scored a TD there.

It would have made the score 17-7 and we then go on and score 14 more, and we probably try harder for a TD on our last drive to go up 38-7, and MSU getting a final drive for possibly a garbage TD.

It's not a close game if you only turn the ball over once and you don't punt and the other team has one or two TD's.

Your argument is largely based on momentum, which PJ doesn't believe it. It's an argument that we would be mentally weak if MSU scored and tightened the margin.

That forced fumble when MSU was threatening a comeback to start the 2nd half and when we stopped them after Mo's fumble was huge as well.

We have a bit of an inferiority complex if we think we were going to be in a tight game if MSU scored a TD there.

It would have made the score 17-7 and we then go on and score 14 more, and we probably try harder for a TD on our last drive to go up 38-7, and MSU getting a final drive for possibly a garbage TD.

It's not a close game if you only turn the ball over once and you don't punt and the other team has one or two TD's.

Your argument is largely based on momentum, which PJ doesn't believe it. It's an argument that we would be mentally weak if MSU scored and tightened the margin.
Yeah. We were flat out better. Even if they scored there the game was going to be the game

0,10,7,7 I call that good D. The turnover was the game. I thought we would be looking at 17-7 but the lights went out in East Lansing instead.
The ridiculous drive after the TO was the series of plays that ended it. 12 plays, 90 yards, nearly 7 minutes.

Yup. I don't buy the whole "it would be a completely different game" argument. Kind of like Christian Watson's drop against the Vikes in week 1 or the Irv Smith drop last week against the Eagles.

One big play doesn't change the fact that one of the two teams in each of these games was absolutely obliterating the opponent on both sides of the ball. Hell.....we don't even know if MSU gets in the end zone on that drive. And if a fumble changes the entire game....why discount Mo's fumble in the first half when we were driving with a 17 point lead? That drive was already in FG range.

Yup. I don't buy the whole "it would be a completely different game" argument. Kind of like Christian Watson's drop against the Vikes in week 1 or the Irv Smith drop last week against the Eagles.

One big play doesn't change the fact that one of the two teams in each of these games was absolutely obliterating the opponent on both sides of the ball. Hell.....we don't even know if MSU gets in the end zone on that drive. And if a fumble changes the entire game....why discount Mo's fumble in the first half when we were driving with a 17 point lead? That drive was already in FG range.
We don’t know that they don’t

It’s a no brainer. The Thomas Rush forced fumble. 17-7 would have been an entirely new narrative and ballgame. I want to say the ensuing drive to go 90 yards and put the nail in the coffin, but you can’t have the effect without the cause.

So I was nervous during that drive knowing 17-7 was entirely in reach for us to lose the game. But I kept telling myself, whether they score or not, it doesn't make their defense better. So I guess I agree with PJ. Them scoring isn't scary. We still need to do what we need to do, which is drive and eat clock against their defense.

Top Bottom