Play Gray

Frod0

Reaction score
It's SDSU and the season is over assuming win against SDSU and loss at Iowa no matter who plays so why not. Weber has been terrible. One good game that was a fluke and a 11-12 TD to INT ratio which is not acceptable.

What makes you so sure Gray is the answer? He has incredible physical tools and may become a heck of a player someday, but Weber is a junior! He still has a year of eligibility left!

Also FWIW, Gray didn't exactly light the world on fire today, albeit in pretty limited time.

I'm not sure if Gray is ready to play either. But I will say that watching Weber is just painful most of the time. In the first half today, he was almost completely responsible for the offensive woes and had a big-part in digging us a 21-point hole. Bottom line is that Weber isn't very good. Is Gray better right now? I don't know. But whenever Gray is ready, he should play more.

What makes you so sure Gray is the answer? He has incredible physical tools and may become a heck of a player someday, but Weber is a junior! He still has a year of eligibility left!

Also FWIW, Gray didn't exactly light the world on fire today, albeit in pretty limited time.

I'm sick and effing tired of that "what makes you so sure Gray will do better" argument. Experiment. We don't know until we try. His limited playing time is completely inconclusive because he's only allowed about one pass play per game. Weber has proved to be consistently inconsistent (see MSU vs. Illinois performance).

A JUNIOR! OMG! How dare we even think about benching him? Just because he has another year of throwing INT's and passes over 10 yds away from WR's that are 5 yards away doesn't mean he's the answer. At least Gray isn't 1/2 dimensional.

Weber has had 3 years and except for the MSU game consistently misses targets and throws pics

Let's become bowl eligible first.
I am as excited about Gray as the next guy but Weber is going to light it up against SDSU.

I am as excited about Gray as the next guy but Weber is going to light it up against SDSU.

I wouldn't chalk up SDSU as a W yet.

What exactly did you see from Weber today that makes you think he will light it up?

I like Weber. But it's time to give #5 more snaps. What can it hurt? At best we'll be going to a bowl as a 6-6 team. Time to try something else.

What exactly did you see from Weber today that makes you think he will light it up?

Nothing, but look what he did to state.
He can play well, and I think next week he will play well.
I thought Jedd's play calling was pretty bad this week and all the bombs he called were not conducive to getting a struggling quarterback in a rhythm, I wish we did more screens in the 1st half.

Cause hitting one of those and giving him confidence would just kill any chance at rhythm...

Play Gray...Weber is finished...1 fluke game.......

I really want Gray to play, but in Weber's defense, the line let a few guys through today to quick sacks and a few mistakes by the receivers made him look bad...but he did make some bad passes (really bad) and takes too many sack ala aaron rodgers...he did make some really good throws too though...

And with Gray, i seriously doubt his ability to not turn the ball over now, i mean, the reports of him not being able to hold on to the ball in practice have got to be true based on what i'm seeing...

...which is why it would be good to see him play a bit now. It's really gone be a downer if we get to next year and he turns out to be a bust.

What happens in 2 years when Weber isn't an option? Is Gray the guy every down--- or will the coaching staff continue to use him in some sort of platoon situation with Alipate or possibly even Parish? Does Fisch/Brew like the idea of having a change of pace QB? I never saw Alipate play in HS--- he's obviously a huge kid, will his playing style resemble a scrambler or more of a pocket style QB change of pace to Gray's wheeling and dealing?

Why play Gray? Because he can't do worse than Weber, he has the ability to run (unlike Weber), and he has more years left with the program (aka he should improve with experience -- should he be given it). EVERYTHING points to him.

Not ready yet, they really need to try and get some consistency with Weber. He looked very good in the second half. You can't have a meltdown like the first half though. I think Grey needs to get his chances but I like the way they are using him. Wish he had connected on that long pass, it would have given him some confidence.

Weber's new nickname- "Part-time". Part-time horrible part-time great. Part of the plays he sees the defensive lineman in his face and gets rid of the ball...and part of the time he doesn't see the lineman right in front of his eyes and spins around like a little girl before they tackle him for another sack.

Gophers really don't have a running game, so if the passing game is off, they struggle; like baseball pitchers, if the starter is off, pull him and put in a relief pitcher. When Weber is hot, leave him in; when not, pull him for Gray. Plus with Gray you have some mobility that might prevent seven sacks!

Bad thing is that SDSU lost today, they lost the conf. title, so this game is their season....... They can throw the ball and that scares me. They can also stop the pass, so we should be able to run the ball.

Not ready yet, they really need to try and get some consistency with Weber. He looked very good in the second half. You can't have a meltdown like the first half though. I think Grey needs to get his chances but I like the way they are using him. Wish he had connected on that long pass, it would have given him some confidence.

He's a junior and he has been consistently bad, how much more time does he need to develop? He has never hit a receiver in stride. Every pass is overthrown, underthrown, behind, too low, too high, the receivers always have to make adjustments to Webers throws to even try and catch the ball.

Gray didn't do much today to make me think he is better then our starter.

Gray didn't do much today to make me think he is better then our starter.
How can you make that assessment? Was Gray out there for more than 1 play at a time?

How can you make that assessment? Was Gray out there for more than 1 play at a time?

One example is when Weber is yelling to the players to line up correctly from the wide receiver position. Don't you think our QB should know the formation and ensure people line up correctly?

Another is the major complaint that Weber is struggling hitting players that are open deep, which Gray also struggles at. In fact has Gray come close to any of the deep routes he has been asked to throw?

Another is that Gray struggles to hold on to the ball when he is hit, and given the number of times our QB gets hit that would lead to more fumbles then he other has.

Those are just a couple of my observations. I like going into the game with a chance to win with our current QB. That is my opinion.

The Backup quarterback is always the most popular person on the team. As soon as Starting QB starts to slip a little, everyone loves the backup. Especially when the backup is tabbed by experts as being a blue chip type QB.

That said, of course people are going to want to play Gray more. I didnt agree earlier in the year when the Gophs still were fighting for a top 3 or 4 big ten finish. Now that it looks like its going to be a 6-6 (3-5) season, why not give the kid some more time? I dont think they should throw Webber to the curb, because despite what most are saying now, Webber has the ability and has been an extremely effective starter at times. Like others have said, I just think you have to give gray a few series, or atleast a complete series on his own. He looked pretty bad trying to hit the deep ball, but when you are in for a play at a time and always moving in and out of the game, its probably tough to get that confidence to hit that throw. Maybe if he had some actual extended playing time he hits those.

And with Gray, i seriously doubt his ability to not turn the ball over now, i mean, the reports of him not being able to hold on to the ball in practice have got to be true based on what i'm seeing...

Gray offered the ball the Illinois on his fumble. Guy has no idea how to tuck it. Figure that out and we can talk.

One example is when Weber is yelling to the players to line up correctly from the wide receiver position. Don't you think our QB should know the formation and ensure people line up correctly?

Another is the major complaint that Weber is struggling hitting players that are open deep, which Gray also struggles at. In fact has Gray come close to any of the deep routes he has been asked to throw?

Another is that Gray struggles to hold on to the ball when he is hit, and given the number of times our QB gets hit that would lead to more fumbles then he other has.

Those are just a couple of my observations. I like going into the game with a chance to win with our current QB. That is my opinion.

+1

Top Bottom