PJ's WM offense vs MN offense

fippled

Reaction score
I have been wondering what made PJ's offense at Western Michigan so explosive. That team seemed to put up a ton points every game even vs P5 teams. Were they that much more talented than what he has had here last year and this year? I just keep waiting to see that offensive production but have yet to see it on a consistent basis.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Well our O put up at least 28 points on 7 of our 9 Big Ten/ACC teams last year, I'd say we were decently explosive last year.

PJ's 2016 team put up 34 on Illinois, 22 on Northwestern and 16 on Northwestern and in 2015 put up 24 against MSU and 12 against OSU.

I have been wondering what made PJ's offense at Western Michigan so explosive. That team seemed to put up a ton points every game even vs P5 teams. Were they that much more talented than what he has had here last year and this year? I just keep waiting to see that offensive production but have yet to see it on a consistent basis.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Actually they didn't really put up a lot of points vs P5 teams.

Couple offensive thoughts: PJ mentioned SDSt did so many things we hadn’t seen on film...other than the 2 point conversion what did we do differently?
We threw one really really poorly setup pass to a back, no Passes to our all world tight ends, no jet sweeps with many candidates, one blown up bubble screen, etc
We have a huge weapon in Seth running the wildcat...we used it once! What? It works too well?

PJ said they schemed to take away TJ... surely, surely teams did that to Corey Davis and obviously they were able to free him up. Bateman is too good...TJ is a decoy as a senior?

They had a very balanced attack. They could run the ball effectively on first and second down with a big O-line and two physical RB's. Then when they wanted to pass, Terrell was accurate and Davis was physically overpowering and could dominate when he got the ball in his hands. Their other two WR's were solid/good but not spectacular.

OT Willie Beavers was a 4th round pick in the 2016 draft, OT Taylor Moton was a 2nd round pick in 2017 and OT Chukwuma Okorafor was a third rounder in 2018 plus Center John Keenoy signed as a FA this year. I'd say with Faalele, Blaise, Dunlap and Olson, we have the potential to be similar in talent but we aren't quite there yet.

They had two good but not great RB's in 2016 in Franklin and Bogin, both were very physical. I'd say they are somewhat comparable in talent to Rodney and Mo but i'd give a slight edge to our guys.

I'd say Bravermen and Davis in 2015 are comparable to TJ and Bateman this year as a duo but i'd give the edge to our receivers this year compared to WMU's 2016 WR's. Davis is slightly better than TJ but Bateman is way better than Michael Henry. Autman-Bell and Carringotn Thompson are similar in talent.

QB wise, Terrell is a bit ahead of Morgan right now but I don't think there is any reason why Morgan can't be as good as Terrell down the line.

So overall, I'd say their QB and O-line in 2015 are better than our's right now but we have the potential to be just as good and our WR's and RB's are just as good if not better than the WMU 2015-16 guys.

They had a very balanced attack. They could run the ball effectively on first and second down with a big O-line and two physical RB's. Then when they wanted to pass, Terrell was accurate and Davis was physically overpowering and could dominate when he got the ball in his hands. Their other two WR's were solid/good but not spectacular.

OT Willie Beavers was a 4th round pick in the 2016 draft, OT Taylor Moton was a 2nd round pick in 2017 and OT Chukwuma Okorafor was a third rounder in 2018 plus Center John Keenoy signed as a FA this year. I'd say with Faalele, Blaise, Dunlap and Olson, we have the potential to be similar in talent but we aren't quite there yet.

They had two good but not great RB's in 2016 in Franklin and Bogin, both were very physical. I'd say they are somewhat comparable in talent to Rodney and Mo but i'd give a slight edge to our guys.

I'd say Bravermen and Davis in 2015 are comparable to TJ and Bateman this year as a duo but i'd give the edge to our receivers this year compared to WMU's 2016 WR's. Davis is slightly better than TJ but Bateman is way better than Michael Henry. Autman-Bell and Carringotn Thompson are similar in talent.

QB wise, Terrell is a bit ahead of Morgan right now but I don't think there is any reason why Morgan can't be as good as Terrell down the line.

So overall, I'd say their QB and O-line in 2015 are better than our's right now but we have the potential to be just as good and our WR's and RB's are just as good if not better than the WMU 2015-16 guys.

They also played in the MAC.

They also played in the MAC.

Bingo. I was thinking the same thing. His WMU teams were almost always more talented than their opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. I was thinking the same thing. His WMU teams were almost always more talented than their opponents.

He out recruited the MAC (all teams) every season he was coach. That helped their performance each year as well.

Top Bottom