PJ

Over half of the 2023 recruiting class has service academy offers.

Our strategy is like being that guy who plays Madden while eating a sandwich and bickering with his girlfriend on the phone and taking foooor-evvvvvv-errrrrrr to call a play.
How many of our recruiting class with service academy offers are attending service academies?

Ball control, snap it at the last second is great when you are protecting a lead. But if you are behind with time ticking off the clock you need to be able to move fast and go no huddle. Not so easy to just flip the switch.

PJ is afraid of pork. Bacon. Etc. My only complaint with him.
Apologies to pork farmers, but I like him even more now! Turkey/ chicken equivalents are usually my preference. Don't miss pork.

Another alternative.

large_4a2aae6c-0a70-4ad0-9952-a7d6efa388e1.png

Ball control, snap it at the last second is great when you are protecting a lead. But if you are behind with time ticking off the clock you need to be able to move fast and go no huddle. Not so easy to just flip the switch.
Up-tempo keeps defenses on their heels and fatigued. A little mix & mash of the two would be awesome.

I guess they could always practice it.
Yes. My guess is that this years team could handle it due to the high number of players that have experience. Some teams, especially with inexperienced skill players struggle with an expansive playbook. Especially with limited practice time. I do trust that this team has a true two minute offense. My guess is that that portion of the offense would meet these objectives.

I personally think that our current Gophers want to stay with the ball control approach because going back to Woody Hayes/ Jim Tressel ball, it works! Especially if you truly do play as though the ball is the program. I'll take a boring win over a stylish loss any day.

Yes. My guess is that this years team could handle it due to the high number of players that have experience. Some teams, especially with inexperienced skill players struggle with an expansive playbook. Especially with limited practice time. I do trust that this team has a true two minute offense. My guess is that that portion of the offense would meet these objectives.

I personally think that our current Gophers want to stay with the ball control approach because going back to Woody Hayes/ Jim Tressel ball, it works! Especially if you truly do play as though the ball is the program. I'll take a boring win over a stylish loss any day.
Yep. It works until it doesn't. I'm trying to remember when the last National Champion won with a ball control type offense? 2002? It seems to me the teams consistently in the top 10 have evolved their styles to something other than ball control. But, maybe it's just a coincidence.

Yep. It works until it doesn't. I'm trying to remember when the last National Champion won with a ball control type offense? 2002? It seems to me the teams consistently in the top 10 have evolved their styles to something other than ball control. But, maybe it's just a coincidence.
I trust Coaches Ciarrocca (sp?) and Fleck. The wrinkles they've added in big games have kept us competitive. We even would have beat Iowa in IC if we would have made just a couple/ few more plays. Go back and look at highlights. This team can go vertical. Even with an over matched team we have been competitive. Against OSU. Yes against OSU. It's a slow steady climb. I might be silly, but I believe that our team will continue to progress. We also will most likely see some adjustments in the upcoming seasons.

BTW I am not challenging you or your opinion. Just offering another point of view.

We all love the Gophers, so it's all good!

Except giving them more possessions after you have just scored is not a bad strategy either. Ball control is first downs and scoring, not running time off the play clock.
Wrong. Leaving 30 seconds left after a score is better than 4 minutes left.

I trust Coaches Ciarrocca (sp?) and Fleck. The wrinkles they've added in big games have kept us competitive. We even would have beat Iowa in IC if we would have made just a couple/ few more plays. Go back and look at highlights. This team can go vertical. Even with an over matched team we have been competitive. Against OSU. Yes against OSU. It's a slow steady climb. I might be silly, but I believe that our team will continue to progress. We also will most likely see some adjustments in the upcoming seasons.

BTW I am not challenging you or your opinion. Just offering another point of view.

We all love the Gophers, so it's all good!
Agreed. The Gophers have been much improved with Fleck at the helm. I just want more...

Wrong. Leaving 30 seconds left after a score is better than 4 minutes left.
Who the hell leaves 30 seconds on the play clock routinely? There is a huge in between that most teams employ, snapping with 5-10 seconds left. That is organized and effective. Snapping with one second is frantic.

Who the hell leaves 30 seconds on the play clock routinely? There is a huge in between that most teams employ, snapping with 5-10 seconds left. That is organized and effective. Snapping with one second is frantic.
It's about game clock, not play clock. Not every play is snapped with 1 second left , jfc.

Top Bottom