PJ has been extended with new 7 year contract

It should’ve come with the caveat that before he could sign the contract Coyle would kick PJ hard and square in the nuts for the coaching malpractice that he threw out there in at least three games this year. He gives us the BS my fault, I am accountable nonsense after these games and then he gets rewarded like this. I get it’s the cost of doing business, but it feels shitty.

I was as critical of PJ at times this year as anyone but the fact that we were 1 or 2 bad coaching decisions away from playing in Indy shows you far we've come as a program under him. There are things I didn't love this year and likely going to be things I don't like next year, but in totality PJ is a good coach

I was as critical of PJ at times this year as anyone but the fact that we were 1 or 2 bad coaching decisions away from playing in Indy shows you far we've come as a program under him. There are things I didn't love this year and likely going to be things I don't like next year, but in totality PJ is a good coach
I'm 2/3 glad PJ is our coach and 1/3 would be OK with someone else. I've always said that winning big and often is a really tough gig at Minnesota. It hasn't been done for decades and PJ has done well considering our history. Being that PJ has agreed to an extension tells that he is content as Gopher coach going forward. This is where he wants to be. I hope that I can get to the point that I am 100% all in with PJ.

Coaching decisions in critical situations can be good or bad often times depending on the players ability or inability to execute.

My complaint is with semantics.

a lot of media outlets are reporting this as "a new 7-year contract."

It's not.

It is a one-year extension of his current contract with a pay raise.

A "new 7-year contract" would be for 7 additional years. This deal is for 1 additional year.

I'm not going to gripe about the terms of the contract. I just hope that the reports are accurate about the assistant coaching salary pool being increased.

It's not.

A "new 7-year contract" would be for 7 additional years. This deal is for 1 additional year.

I'm not going to gripe about the terms of the contract. I just hope that the reports are accurate about the assistant coaching salary pool being increased.

I think media announcements are kinda behind the times on how they approach it.

Micro / small extensions are the SoP for many teams now outside the MEGA contracts.

It's not.

It's a new contract, not an extension of an existing contract. The old contract is now gone (or will be once it's approved by the board) and has been replaced with this new one, and the new one covers seven years.

I'm 2/3 glad PJ is our coach and 1/3 would be OK with someone else. I've always said that winning big and often is a really tough gig at Minnesota. It hasn't been done for decades and PJ has done well considering our history. Being that PJ has agreed to an extension tells that he is content as Gopher coach going forward. This is where he wants to be. I hope that I can get to the point that I am 100% all in with PJ.

Coaching decisions in critical situations can be good or bad often times depending on the players ability or inability to execute.
Bob Law is talking about in-game decisions (going on 4th deep in your own teritory early in a game, punting on 4th from opponents 35-40, etc), not whether a player was able to execute.

It's not.

I agree. It's technically a new 7 year deal as all years are impacted, but if looking at years, it adds one.

Bob Law is talking about in-game decisions (going on 4th deep in your own teritory early in a game, punting on 4th from opponents 35-40, etc), not whether a player was able to execute.
You can blame coaching decisions for the Iowa and Purdue loss, but it still came down to player execution ultimately in my opinion.

You can blame coaching decisions for the Iowa and Purdue loss, but it still came down to player execution ultimately in my opinion.
Yeah coaches are responsible to an extent, and yet ...

They can't hold onto the ball for them, catch a TD pass for them, make a field goal, or throw into a deflected pass situation.

Best coahes can do is put guys in a postion to win.

I just think we played four good teams this year and went 0-4, the non-conference games couldn’t have been any easier and a lot of the B 10 teams we played and beat were in down years. He gets rewarded for what? Again, I get that it’s the cost of doing business, but from a pay for performance perspective he’s stealing money. Take out 2019 with all those NFL players that PJ had nothing to do with sans Bateman and he’s been mediocre, at best.

It's a new contract, not an extension of an existing contract. The old contract is now gone (or will be once it's approved by the board) and has been replaced with this new one, and the new one covers seven years.
Got it. Lengthwise, the new contract added one year to the total.

Only 7 coaches were with the same team in 2021-2022 who have more P5 wins than PJ.

Between that fact, and the Big Ten media $$$ coming in, this is a no-brainer.

Take out 2019 with all those NFL players that PJ had nothing to do with sans Bateman and he’s been mediocre, at best.
WTF are you even talking about. Williamson, Faalele, St. Juste, Bateman.....all Fleck recruits. And as for having nothing to do with the other guys are you just going with the idea that a player is a finished product when they set foot on campus then?

TJ doesn't become the receiver he did under Kill because Kill's WR coach was horrible. Winfield isn't even on the team if Fleck doesn't persuade him to come back.

Won't even bring up Morgan because I know how much you hate him, but he had a little something to do with 2019 as well.

WTF are you even talking about. Williamson, Faalele, St. Juste, Bateman.....all Fleck recruits. And as for having nothing to do with the other guys are you just going with the idea that a player is a finished product when they set foot on campus then?

TJ doesn't become the receiver he did under Kill because Kill's WR coach was horrible. Winfield isn't even on the team if Fleck doesn't persuade him to come back.

Won't even bring up Morgan because I know how much you hate him, but he had a little something to do with 2019 as well.
I get it, you are fine with mediocrity. That’s what we will have with PJ and it’s what we have had. It’s not like he has a bunch of schools lining up the Brinks truck to lure him away. Most P5 teams of substance wouldn’t have PJ as their coach his schtick doesn’t play with those type boosters. 0-4 against the four good teams we play this year let’s give him another million bucks.

Mason is on with Danny go bears barreiro. As usual, mason is going on about pay. Someone should tell him comparison steals your joy.

I agree. It's technically a new 7 year deal as all years are impacted, but if looking at years, it adds one.
Yep. The additional year doesn't matter as he'll never come within 4 years of that additional year as the contract currently is. He's still probably middle of the road in salary in the Big Ten. It's about where he should be.

I just think we played four good teams this year and went 0-4, the non-conference games couldn’t have been any easier and a lot of the B 10 teams we played and beat were in down years. He gets rewarded for what? Again, I get that it’s the cost of doing business, but from a pay for performance perspective he’s stealing money. Take out 2019 with all those NFL players that PJ had nothing to do with sans Bateman and he’s been mediocre, at best.
But getting to this point is actually an astronomical accomplishment. In my life as a Gopher fan, I have never been able to be unimpressed with Big 10 wins and being over .500 in the Big 10. I am annoyed with some things this year too, but we shouldn't take where we are at for granted.

But getting to this point is actually an astronomical accomplishment. In my life as a Gopher fan, I have never been able to be unimpressed with Big 10 wins and being over .500 in the Big 10. I am annoyed with some things this year too, but we shouldn't take where we are at for granted.
If we never lose to a team who finished under .500 again the guy should get a lifetime contract

That’s a point I can agree with well said. I also believe in both our young QBs so hopefully their talent will force a change in how we go about our business on O. PJ didn’t change his best this year let’s hope he does in ‘23.

Yeah coaches are responsible to an extent, and yet ...

They can't hold onto the ball for them, catch a TD pass for them, make a field goal, or throw into a deflected pass situation.

Best coahes can do is put guys in a postion to win.
Again, different than the point I think BL was making.

throwing this out just for fun and conversation:

Thor Nystrom, an "NFL Draft Analyst" who contributes to some fantasy FB and betting sites, Tweeted that (quoting)
Heard a few weeks ago PJ would listen if other schools wanted to talk. Getting that point across to the AD was probably the only leverage he needed.

in response, a guy with the Twitter handle HuskersMN said:
We heard that Fleck's agent reached out to Trev about the Nebraska job. There was no interest. Creating an artificial market for his client...nicely played by Bryan Harlan.

throwing this out just for fun and conversation:

Thor Nystrom, an "NFL Draft Analyst" who contributes to some fantasy FB and betting sites, Tweeted that (quoting)
Heard a few weeks ago PJ would listen if other schools wanted to talk. Getting that point across to the AD was probably the only leverage he needed.

in response, a guy with the Twitter handle HuskersMN said:
We heard that Fleck's agent reached out to Trev about the Nebraska job. There was no interest. Creating an artificial market for his client...nicely played by Bryan Harlan.
Not surprised if true, of course you're gonna listen if someone comes asking as it's how you make sure you are getting paid what your value is.

How many games will the Gopher's lose before the crowd criticizes the new contract?

2023 SCHEDULE
Nebraska (Rhule premier) LOSS
Eastern Michigan WIN
North Carolina LOSS
Northwestern WIN
Louisiana Lafayette WIN
Michigan LOSS
Iowa TOSS UP
Michigan State WIN
Illinois TOSS UP
Purdue WIN
Ohio State LOSS
Wisconsin TOSS UP

How many games will the Gopher's lose before the crowd criticizes the new contract?

2023 SCHEDULE
Eastern Michigan WIN
North Carolina LOSS
Northwestern WIN
Louisiana Lafayette WIN
Michigan LOSS
Iowa TOSS UP
Michigan State WIN
Illinois TOSS UP
Purdue WIN
Ohio State LOSS
Wisconsin TOSS UP
Rhule premier lol, as if that some how is a huge boost?

That other dude has no clue what he is talking about.

Classic general gripes guy whose complaints could be found with some googling….. but when it comes to the details he trips up and shows he isn’t paying attention to the team at all…

2023 SCHEDULE
Eastern Michigan WIN
North Carolina LOSS
Northwestern WIN
Louisiana Lafayette WIN
Michigan LOSS
Iowa TOSS UP
Michigan State WIN
Illinois TOSS UP
Purdue WIN
Ohio State LOSS