PJ Fleck Postgame Press Conference

MGGopher

Reaction score
Starts around 23:45.
  • No bad wins in this program -- every win is something to be celebrated.
  • Left a "lot of meat on the bone" on offense.
  • Goal was to establish the run, figure out what they have in the RB room, get the OL dominating. Couldn't do that last week against Neb because the running game was stuffed early and they didn't want to fall behind. Once they did in the 2nd half, it was clear they had to keep throwing.
  • Put the ball on the ground way too much (he mentioned this multiple times).
  • Evans has to earn PT. Taylor took 33 carries tonight and there may be times he needs to take more. Depends on what the other guys do. He's built for it tho at 215 pounds and came to campus expecting to play.
  • Baugh is a blessing. He's a "mighty mouse" guy (short in stature) but a huge hustle player.
  • Fleck asked BSF how he was feeling after the game and he was fine. Said same about Maverick.
  • Lindenberg was a true game time decision. He was very close to playing.

Starts around 23:45.
  • No bad wins in this program -- every win is something to be celebrated.
  • Left a "lot of meat on the bone" on offense.
  • Goal was to establish the run, figure out what they have in the RB room, get the OL dominating. Couldn't do that last week against Neb because the running game was stuffed early and they didn't want to fall behind. Once they did in the 2nd half, it was clear they had to keep throwing.
  • Put the ball on the ground way too much (he mentioned this multiple times).
  • Evans has to earn PT. Taylor took 33 carries tonight and there may be times he needs to take more. Depends on what the other guys do. He's built for it tho at 215 pounds and came to campus expecting to play.
  • Baugh is a blessing. He's a "mighty mouse" guy (short in stature) but a huge hustle player.
  • Fleck asked BSF how he was feeling after the game and he was fine. Said same about Maverick.
  • Lindenberg was a true game time decision. He was very close to playing.

Good to hear on Lindenberg, we need him.

The ball is the program. We can’t fumble.

He didn't keep his commitment to us over late Michigan offer, to come sit on the bench.

Fleck knew that.

Will be TnT this year.

What exactly does he (PJ) mean when he said Darius Taylor needs to learn to bend instead of lean?

Might be talking about a straight up-and-down running style, running tall, versus bending knees to get low?

I was hoping Lindenberg would at least be able to get some practice in vs EMU and freshen up before next week, but glad to see that he’ll likely be good to play then in general. We’ll need him, and I trust the coaching/training staff to get him to 100% for the UNC game.

Fleck said it quickly when he was talking about earning playing time, do I have this right? If running backs fumble are they automatically benched? If so, is this a common policy of college football coaches? Goodness knows you don't want to fumble, or have a running back be a chronic fumbler, but everyone will fumble once if they are given the ball enough. That policy is obvioulsy punitive and IMHO may work to the detriment of the team in some situations. Go Gophers!

Fleck said it quickly when he was talking about earning playing time, do I have this right? If running backs fumble are they automatically benched? If so, is this a common policy of college football coaches? Goodness knows you don't want to fumble, or have a running back be a chronic fumbler, but everyone will fumble once if they are given the ball enough. That policy is obvioulsy punitive and IMHO may work to the detriment of the team in some situations. Go Gophers!
Tyler had three before he didn't go back in, so it's definitely not one and you are out.

Tyler had three before he didn't go back in, so it's definitely not one and you are out.
He also had one where he "fumbled" but was already out of bounds. I realize it doesn't count but it was close.

Tyler didn't seem to have issues vs NE did he? So hopefully just a bad day. He had 4 fumbles (2 lost) all of last year at WMU.

He also had one where he "fumbled" but was already out of bounds. I realize it doesn't count but it was close.

Tyler didn't seem to have issues vs NE did he? So hopefully just a bad day. He had 4 fumbles (2 lost) all of last year at WMU.
In the press conference, Fleck certainly seemed to count the out of bounds one.

Tyler fumbled in bounds but was lucky that the ball bounced out.

He mentioned in the presser after the game that he knows they didn't lose all of them, but he hates putting the ball on the ground, ball is the program, etc. Paraphrasing but that's pretty close to how he explained it. Along with a public challenge to Evans to play better if he wants in, which i thought was interesting. Don't normally hear him publicly challenge guys like that.

Tyler fumbled in bounds but was lucky that the ball bounced out.
I think there was one where he fell down and fumbled and then the ball rolled out. But there was one before that where he was already out of bounds and the ball came out. I was at the game in the upper deck though, so maybe I wasn't seeing things correctly.

Talk about lame. You took down my posts about PJ's racist product placement. No wonder college is graduating snowflakes that can't tolerate the truth of a matter. Shame on Gopherhole!

Top Bottom