PJ Fleck: Gophers have zero COVID-19 cases ahead of Guaranteed Rate Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wald:

For now, the Gophers have gone unscathed.

"So far so good, we've had zero cases. Our players are healthy. Zero cases as of last time we've talked, in terms of we don't have anybody with that right now. That's a credit to our medical team, our medical staff," Fleck said.

Gophers officials said on Thursday they sold out their 4,000 ticket allotment for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. More fans have purchased tickets on secondary markets, so there should be plenty of fans in the stands in Phoenix Tuesday night.

"We said we're basically taking the state of Minnesota and we're bringing it over here. Our guys have really respected that," Fleck said. "I give credit to a lot of our players. We could talk about who's vaccinated, who's not, boosters. Our medical team has provided the vaccination and the boosters and the majority of our players have taken advantage of that. Then we’re just doing everything we possibly can to keep them safe."

Go Gophers!!

It is really impressive, especially considering they're college kids doing college kid things.

It really is. But I'd like to think that the players are keeping themselves out of situations in which they would possibly contract it.

Any word on West Virginia, are they all healthy?
From the Trib:

Likewise, Mountaineers coach Neal Brown said his team had no positive tests while acknowledging kickoff was still two days away.

"It's fluid, it's fluid,'' Brown said. "I'm careful to say, 'I don't anticipate.' I'm cautiously optimistic, how 'bout that?''

It is a testament to all concerned from the administration, the medical team, the coaches, the team, the staff, and the bowl committee for keeping everyone save for both teams.

I hope that after the bowl game that the team can spend a couple extra days to go sightseeing together. The Grand Canyon is a must see.

The memories that they have of this week will be everlasting. It will be great team building outings.

From the Trib:

Likewise, Mountaineers coach Neal Brown said his team had no positive tests while acknowledging kickoff was still two days away.

"It's fluid, it's fluid,'' Brown said. "I'm careful to say, 'I don't anticipate.' I'm cautiously optimistic, how 'bout that?''
It's fluid and you can get a "positive" test result from a turnip.

great news. you have to feel for some of the seniors on the other teams who had bowls canceled. your last time walking off the field is always something you remember and I'm sure many are/were looking forward to that last hurrah and to have it taken away must be awful.

There are no situations where you cannot come into contact with a virus other than complete isolation as is proved by colds and flu.

I don't see a point here. Are you trying to say that you have an equal chance to catch covid by sitting at home on your couch as you do by going to a crowded club?

There are no situations where you cannot come into contact with a virus other than complete isolation as is proved by colds and flu.
Yes of course; obviously.
You missed my point. You can limit your interactions and risky situations to mitigate your chances of contracting it in the first place.
I live in NYC and have had it and know personally people who have died as a result (I wasn’t hospitalized, but did catch a bout of pneumonia which caused pulmonary fibrosis - a chronic, progressive illness and while I have only mild symptoms (thank God) who knows what the future holds).
Mine wasn’t a comment of naïveté, but a bon mot to the players for keeping their eyes on the Guaranteed Bowl prize - they can always let loose after we stomp WVA.

Cheers and maybe you need a 🍺😙?

Last edited:

I don't see a point here. Are you trying to say that you have an equal chance to catch covid by sitting at home on your couch as you do by going to a crowded club?
Not that night but the next day when you actually get off your ass.

The Gophers have really improved their immunity since last season. Gopher Football was Covid City in 2020 and it's barely touched the program in 2021.

Probably some mix of procedure and luck.

You aren't making any sense, whatsoever. Does avoiding large crowds and unnecessary contact with people lessen your chance of catching covid? It's okay. You can say it.
You are going to "catch" (probably without knowing it) some iteration of covid some time in your life just like you have had a cold and flu. How you choose to live is entirely up to you. I would avoid a busy night club but not a football stadium or airport. That is my choice.

Gopher football players in Phoenix do not have a choice where to go. They are on team activity schedule.

You are going to "catch" (probably without knowing it) some iteration of covid some time in your life just like you have had a cold and flu. How you choose to live is entirely up to you. I would avoid a busy night club but not a football stadium or airport. That is my choice.

Gopher football players in Phoenix do not have a choice where to go. They are on team activity schedule.

What is this nonsense? The entire point is that regardless of symptoms....catching covid right now would be awful for Gophers players....and that they are probably taking precautions.

Do you not get that?

What is this nonsense? The entire point is that regardless of symptoms....catching covid right now would be awful for Gophers players....and that they are probably taking precautions.

Do you not get that?
not sure what the gopher's covid protocal is

Ohio State's is:
-for vaccinated players only test if they are showing symptoms
-test unvaccinated players twice a week

with a protocol like this a team could have dozens of players with covid at game time and not know it. catching covid right now probably doesn't effect tomorrow's game

but it could impact Minnesota replacing OSU in the Rose Bowl when OSU has to cancel

Do you not get that?
What the hell precautions? Are you dumb enough to think the players would be drinking in crowded clubs if there was no covid? They are controlled by the coaches just like they were in Tampa two years ago. We are preparing for a bowl game, not simpering like babies frightened to death over a virus.

What the hell precautions? Are you dumb enough to think the players would be drinking in crowded clubs if there was no covid? They are controlled by the coaches just like they were in Tampa two years ago. We are preparing for a bowl game, not simpering like babies frightened to death over a virus.

Shove your covid beliefs straight up your ass. This has nothing to do with being deathly afraid of covid. It has EVERYTHING to do with limiting contact so that nobody catches it. Because one player can spread it like wildfire amongst the team.....and that same thing has caused a number to drop out of their bowls already.

If you are too stupid to understand that....then you have bigger problems than covid or any number of diseases.

Shove your covid beliefs straight up your ass. This has nothing to do with being deathly afraid of covid. It has EVERYTHING to do with limiting contact so that nobody catches it. Because one player can spread it like wildfire amongst the team.....and that same thing has caused a number to drop out of their bowls already.

If you are too stupid to understand that....then you have bigger problems than covid or any number of diseases.
Are you actually such a stupid tool that you think the coaches would just say, "we would really rather you guys just go out and hit the town, get drunk, find some drugs and get back in time for the game. But sorry, we can't let you because of covid."?

Anyway this thread about good news…
flame-war.gif

Top Bottom