PJ Fleck and his 2-minute offense

What two minute offense?
I’m not sure Fleck understands the concept.

Run up and fair catch the punt....pass (conservative routes if you want) on first and second down....if you are unsuccessful then I can see RUTM and run the clock out. But at least give it a chance.

You out yourself as an idiot if you think it was dumb to not try to score.
14-0 in a game against an impotent offense.
You get the ball at the half.

The benefit of scoring is the game is over… but you can execute that exact drive the first drive of the third quarter. So the upside is very little

The downside of a turnover is you let the impotent offense back in the game.

Games aren’t played in a vacuum

The benefit of scoring is the game is over… but you can execute that exact drive the first drive of the third quarter. So the upside is very little

nah we're an offense built for speed. of course you go for it from your own 22 with 1:30 left. /s

Maybe, just maybe, he called the timeouts and was hoping you get a little better field position than the 63 yard punt with no return that ensued. Ridiculous take in the tweet

I actually agree with this take but I knew PJ wasn't going to try at the end of the first half. So I was resigned with what would happen, but you're right.

Going as conservative as we went in the 2nd half was annoying. It was the same, run/run/2 yard pass. Honestly, I would have been ecstatic for an incomplete pass on a deep shot.

If you never threaten anyone deep, teams will never fear bringing constant pressure. It makes it harder on everyone.

nah we're an offense built for speed. of course you go for it from your own 22 with 1:30 left. /s

Maybe, just maybe, he called the timeouts and was hoping you get a little better field position than the 63 yard punt with no return that ensued. Ridiculous take in the tweet
There was a lot of time left. With a 6th year QB, with a good defense and playing against a putrid offense we should have at least started out trying to make a play. If we get sacked or have issues early in the drive, just run out the clock and punt.

Are we really worried about Rutgers getting the ball at their 30 with 30 seconds left?

There was a lot of time left. With a 6th year QB, with a good defense and playing against a putrid offense we should have at least started out trying to make a play. If we get sacked or have issues early in the drive, just run out the clock and punt.

Are we really worried about Rutgers getting the ball at their 30 with 30 seconds left?
the only way you let Rutgers back in the game is turning it over. You knew watching the game Rutgers would need our mistakes to score 14 points all game. You don't give them that opportunity doing something outside your area of comfort. And for our offense, Mo possibly breaking one off is just as likely to happen as us hitting a 20+ yard pass play. That's been evident all year.

the only way you let Rutgers back in the game is turning it over. You knew watching the game Rutgers would need our mistakes to score 14 points all game. You don't give them that opportunity doing something outside your area of comfort. And for our offense, Mo possibly breaking one off is just as likely to happen as us hitting a 20+ yard pass play. That's been evident all year.
We're talking about the first half or early second half of the football game.

The only other way Rutgers stays in the game is if they score a TD. They were a couple of drops away from making today's game way too close for comfort.

You can't explain it to these folks. It goes over their heads.

We're talking about the first half or early second half of the football game.

The only other way Rutgers stays in the game is if they score a TD. They were a couple of drops away from making today's game way too close for comfort.
yea.. so don't give them a short field?

We win 31-0.

We drive 99 yards for a TD on our opening possession.

We control the ball for over 41 minutes.

And... clock management is a problem? Seriously?

First, I don't think PJ bargained on that bad of field position when the TO's were take. Second, during the game, I figured they were trying to get a first down with Mo on 1st and 2nd down, which puts less than a minute on the clock, and then maybe go for a score if he gets that first down. He didn't. So they folded up camp for the second half.

Why would we give them a short field? You think there is a better chance we turn the ball over than move the ball?
i presume you've watched us throw the ball this year? they tried to run it hoping Mo breaks one. If he doesn't, you say we'll take the ball to start the 2nd half and that's fine. this team is who they are. We're most limited by absence of outside playmakers. when we've tried to take shots down the field we've turned it over the last several weeks. could they have run the first 2 plays at a little faster tempo? Maybe, but then you're inviting Rutgers to stop the clock.
This offense isn't made for explosive plays, Mo didn't break one and you're up 14 plus getting the ball after half. Right call at the right time against this opponent.

I actually agree with this take but I knew PJ wasn't going to try at the end of the first half. So I was resigned with what would happen, but you're right.

Going as conservative as we went in the 2nd half was annoying. It was the same, run/run/2 yard pass. Honestly, I would have been ecstatic for an incomplete pass on a deep shot.

If you never threaten anyone deep, teams will never fear bringing constant pressure. It makes it harder on everyone.
And like going for a score would’ve been fine. But to say it’s terrible to not have would be dumb

It’s fine either way.

He doesn't trust his 6th year QB to try to score with a 1:30 in the half. He would have done the same thing trailing 14-0.

First, I don't think PJ bargained on that bad of field position when the TO's were take. Second, during the game, I figured they were trying to get a first down with Mo on 1st and 2nd down, which puts less than a minute on the clock, and then maybe go for a score if he gets that first down. He didn't. So they folded up camp for the second half.

Yep. You get it.

I agree with that 100%. However the part I also agree with in the original thread starter...why call the TOs to begin with? Extending the half if Rutgers got a 1st down, which probably would have taken a PI, personal foul or some trick play, then the it blows up in the Gophers face.

I would have just got back to the locker room as fast as possible, under 2 minutes, knowing Rutgers was going to kick in the 2nd half.

It worked out fine though, regardless.

If you were watching Rutgers defense, they had 6 guys playing back at the safety level in the last series. Does anyone think it is a good idea to pass against that defense, risk an interception and give Rutgers a short field? Or, as UNK notes above, Mo has a better chance to hit a long run with a much, much smaller risk of a turnover.

If there was any honyemoon left after 6 years it is done as of today.

More than a smattering of boos as the half came to an end.

A win is a win though. On to Nebbie...

I agree with that 100%. However the part I also agree with in the original thread starter...why call the TOs to begin with? Extending the half if Rutgers got a 1st down, which probably would have taken a PI, personal foul or some trick play, then the it blows up in the Gophers face.

I would have just got back to the locker room as fast as possible, under 2 minutes, knowing Rutgers was going to kick in the 2nd half.

i mean if he hits a 45 yard punt, probably a very different mindset on trying to push the pace a little more. the net 63 yard punt wasn't what they were expecting i'm guessing

Because if they have a 30 yard punt and you’re at the 45 you could get a score with low risk

The only reason to not call timeout is if you’re worried about their offense

Top Bottom