PJ Fleck addressed his future at Minnesota on Sunday: “I absolutley love it here.”

Team building-team outings are maybe the biggest reason we rose up to win the first 3 games. Without the perseverance, resilience, togetherness those 3 wins don’t happen. Nothing about WWE is illegal.
I’d be chafed if I was PJ too!

Call it whatever you want. Do the research.

I liked TC a lot and was very skeptical, especially with the early results. The decline in the defense is what really had me irritated, but the firing of DC Smith (completely buried Cashman) and the turnaround sold me.

The Purdue game was big, and then the win in Madison gave Fleck all the room he needed to succeed in my view.

I was impressed by very little in year one, but things changed in a hurry late last year and I backed off on all criticism after Purdue, a cold game I found especially unexpectedly invigorating in person. The effort at home vs. Northwestern at home was good and I had no issue with that loss either.

Last edited:

I think we’ll get 10 wins at worst this year. My nagging concern: Do we win 6 games next year without Smith, Brooks and the Empire class? Lots of leadership is departing.

Hopefully, we’ll keep rolling.

We return almost everything on offense, and as long as AWJr doesn’t declare, we should return enough on defense that if we can keep Rossi in the fold I see no way we don’t win 10 next year...

Last edited:

Pretty sure 99+% of posters recognize PJF would get 4-5 years barring a complete collapse on the field in 2018-2019( eg 1–3win seasons) and even then he’d likely get a 4th year to work it out. They are scheming against ghosts.

Team building-team outings are maybe the biggest reason we rose up to win the first 3 games. Without the perseverance, resilience, togetherness those 3 wins don’t happen. Nothing about WWE is illegal.
I’d be chafed if I was PJ too!

I suspect there is plenty of socializing going on before, during, and after team activities. WWE is fun and cool for some of them sure but c’mon with the bolded. And, there is no way the school should be expected to pay for that.

We return almost everything on offense, and as long as AWJr doesn’t declare, we should return enough on defense that if we can keep Rossi in the fold I see no way we don’t win 10 next year...

Wow, no way we do not win 10 next year ! Way tougher schedule coming. Love the optimism.

I read the football forum regularly. There are posters who ridicule Fleck, but never have I seen any posts, must less a "handful" as you claim, calling for him to be fired.

Go back to the board after the losses before the last 3 games.

The school should not be funding WWE tickets for the football team. That’s absurd. He clearly meant the boosters should pick up the tab...hint hint. A Wolverine booster funded the trip to France and another to South Africa and maybe a tour of Mesopotamia next year.

The budget thing is certainly head scratching as the football team pays the bills around there...that’s perplexing. Somebody near to the program want to explain that?

Why not?

I suspect there is plenty of socializing going on before, during, and after team activities. WWE is fun and cool for some of them sure but c’mon with the bolded. And, there is no way the school should be expected to pay for that.

All I can tell you is how important those kinds of team outings are. You have some bias that makes WWE off limits ... let’s not argue that...I’m just saying as a coach I’m fighting for team building activities. You do realize they got these guys captive together from 6am to 10pm every day in August? They gotta inject activities the players find fun. Whether you or I think it’s a good time does not matter....they are doing it together having legal fun.

Well, for one example Michigan’s spring trips overseas was certainly an educational experience in a lot of ways. Those trips were paid entirely by donors. Is Harbaugh up in arms the school didn’t pay for it?

It’s hard to argue a night out at WWE is educational or cultural but I suppose one could find a way.

I find it hard to believe the guys need any more team building than they’re already getting and would suffer for lack of low brow theater but hey, PJFs approach seems to be working so who am I to argue? If spending 10k on WWE garners a West Title seems like a good ROI.

All I can tell you is how important those kinds of team outings are. You have some bias that makes WWE off limits ... let’s not argue that...I’m just saying as a coach I’m fighting for team building activities. You do realize they got these guys captive together from 6am to 10pm every day in August? They gotta inject activities the players find fun. Whether you or I think it’s a good time does not matter....they are doing it together having legal fun.

I’m not arguing against team building. Having been involved in multiple sports teams and professional organizations the day to day culture, leadership, and social chemistry, and overall climate IMO is far more important to team building than a few organized “team building activities”.

I don’t feel all that strongly about it. However, if PJF really feel like it’s important then spring for the 10k. He can afford it.

Number one, you don’t call it a team building activity to the group. It’s the benefit that happens from the group participating in a different atmosphere, different location, different element, maybe a different time than you normally are together. You get to know people in a completely different way. It’s not the same at all or comparable to a practice for instance in the same location with “new drills” music added, whatever. Totally different experience going on a “road trip”, doing something different than normal work/sport etc routine.

If the AD says he believes in you, and you as the coach think it is important. Not getting the ADs support sends a message to you he’s not all in to your coaching. Let’s say the money was in the budget but the AD needs to sign off and didn’t because he has similar WWE thoughts to you? If I’m the coach it’s an issue. Let me run my program. I’m judged on results not the process, providing I’m not risking anybody’s health or safety etc.

I think it’s important and coach needs to be able to do his thing. Guessing if he’s bringing it up there money in the budget but it needed authorization. (Too many bad memories of ADs) ha

I think we’ll get 10 wins at worst this year. My nagging concern: Do we win 6 games next year without Smith, Brooks and the Empire class? Lots of leadership is departing.

Hopefully, we’ll keep rolling.

Well we return every single O-lineman, TE and QB on the roster next year along with former 1,000 yard rusher Mo at RB and 3 of our top 4 WR's. I think the offense will be better next year primarily due to better line play.

The question is does the defense take a step back or hold serve? Unlikely they will be better with who they lose. I think if Winfield comes back they can hold serve but otherwise they take a slight step back.

The schedule is also harder next year so I think we may have a situation like 2013-2014 where the team is better but it's not reflected in the win total due to a tougher schedule but we will have more big wins.

Go back to the board after the losses before the last 3 games.

Tell you what, you just show me 4 or 5 of these posts or a link to the thread that was calling for his head. I say this with all kindness, I don't know what "after the losses before the last 3 games" means.

^^^ Another poster that wants us to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they get enough team building in the hours spent each week designing the uniform combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom