Pitino

I think Pitino is developing more into the type of coach that you will like. I think it had to do with maturing as a coach and finally getting the right style of players.
Yep. He is making a little sacrifice on pure athleticism and getting high character players who can shoot. Add to that, there sure seems to be more emphasis on sound defense and blocking out on the boards.

We have a number of good shooters now- even on the bench (Ihnen, Williams, Greenlee) and at least a couple more coming next year with Mitchell and Mashburn (great range) and hoping for Walton of course.

Pitino is a decent coach, finding his way. Like Tubby before him, he has had some bad luck - some self-induced, I suppose - which otherwise might have resulted in a lot more success. He clearly is trying hard and cares; the same of which I could not say about Tubby in his final two years here, and recruiting is obviously better now than on the backside of Tubby's tenure. I just hope the program finds enough success - and soon - that impatience doesn't become the mood. A couple of road wins here and staying stout at home would go a long way for both Pitino and the program.

The BigTen is a tough conference. If you want to leap to the front of the pack, you had better be ready to sell a compelling story for recruiting, over deliver on what you sold and then go win some tough games. Otherwise it is fairly easy to be mediocre in the conference.

Top Bottom