Pitino on Mashburn: “Doesn’t look like a freshman out there at all. He’s going to make me figure out ways to play him. And that’s a good thing.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

“Doesn’t look like a freshman out there at all,” Pitino said about Mashburn in practice. “He’s going to make me figure out ways to play him. And that’s a good thing.”

Pitino feels Mashburn, a Miami native, is similar to former Gophers point guard Nate Mason “in a lot of ways.” Mason was an underrated recruit out of Florida who ended his Gophers’ career second all-time in assists (512) and sixth in points (1,731) in school history.

“Just tough, physical and competitive,” Pitino said of Mashburn. “Has a really good midrange game, defends.”

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

“Doesn’t look like a freshman out there at all,” Pitino said about Mashburn in practice. “He’s going to make me figure out ways to play him. And that’s a good thing.”

Pitino feels Mashburn, a Miami native, is similar to former Gophers point guard Nate Mason “in a lot of ways.” Mason was an underrated recruit out of Florida who ended his Gophers’ career second all-time in assists (512) and sixth in points (1,731) in school history.

“Just tough, physical and competitive,” Pitino said of Mashburn. “Has a really good midrange game, defends.”

Go Gophers!!
Very mature game. Agree with every point. Knows the court.

We are guard heavy... never happened with Tubby.

Great point. Love this roster.

You and I thought last years was good too. I still do, but I do think this one is better. I'm hoping your views on Mashburn defensively are correct. If this team defends, they will be top 6. If they don't they will be in the 9-12 spot

should be able to give us minutes at both guard spots! cant wait to see him on the floor

man looking at this roster....will be interesting how minutes are distributed

I'm old-school, so I am always a little leery of so-called "combo" guards.

In my book, you're either a PG or you're not. I think the PG is - in many ways - the most important position on the floor. A good PG makes the whole team better by seeing the floor and distributing the basketball. If you have a PG who can score some points too, that's a bonus. But the #1 job of the PG is to be a floor leader.

SG is a different matter. You need your SG to be a major contributor on offense - that's why "shooting" is in the title.

You have to be a fairly unique player to be able to handle both roles equally well. that is a lot to ask of a true FR. We'll see how this kid handles it.

I'm old-school, so I am always a little leery of so-called "combo" guards.

In my book, you're either a PG or you're not. I think the PG is - in many ways - the most important position on the floor. A good PG makes the whole team better by seeing the floor and distributing the basketball. If you have a PG who can score some points too, that's a bonus. But the #1 job of the PG is to be a floor leader.

SG is a different matter. You need your SG to be a major contributor on offense - that's why "shooting" is in the title.

You have to be a fairly unique player to be able to handle both roles equally well. that is a lot to ask of a true FR. We'll see how this kid handles it.

If it makes you feel any better, Pitino has a pretty good track record with "combo guards". Nate Mason and Marcus Carr are examples of it.

I respect your "old school" approach, but very few coaches break down those positions like that anymore. They focus more on diversifying or being "positionless" on offense and truly, the only need for most positions is about what and who you can or what you can guard. PG or "Lead guard" is really one of the only "positions" on offense I'd argue and it's not prototypical anymore. I'd argue James Harden is Houston's PG for example. It's hard to be good at both roles, but the way our younger kids are playing and being trained, it's being more and more of the "norm"

per Marcus:

Go Gophers!!
“He’s going to make me figure out ways to play him. And that’s a good thing.”

These are the exact same words he was using when Gabe was a frosh. Gabe had a great year...

If this development is true (and I think most of us were expecting him to be able to log minutes anyways), the depth on the perimeter is shaping up to be a strength for this team finally.

Carr, Kalscheur, Gach (assuming he gets that waiver) plus Mashburn and Williams gives you five guys for three spots.

I think the sweet spot from a minutes perspective on Carr is like 32-34 mpg. Kalscheur and Gach ideally settle into that 28-32 range. And that leaves 30-35 minutes available for Mash/Tre combined. 20ish for Mashburn and 12ish for Tre. I like that. Then we don't have to try cross-training Ihnen on the wing too.

If this development is true (and I think most of us were expecting him to be able to log minutes anyways), the depth on the perimeter is shaping up to be a strength for this team finally.

Carr, Kalscheur, Gach (assuming he gets that waiver) plus Mashburn and Williams gives you five guys for three spots.

I think the sweet spot from a minutes perspective on Carr is like 32-34 mpg. Kalscheur and Gach ideally settle into that 28-32 range. And that leaves 30-35 minutes available for Mash/Tre combined. 20ish for Mashburn and 12ish for Tre. I like that. Then we don't have to try cross-training Ihnen on the wing too.
I’m not expecting Ihnen to play any 3 this year but I’m not 100% convinced that Mutaf doesn’t get a few minutes a night regularly. 7-8 minutes a night, similar to the minutes Hurt got over his career. Not saying that they are similar players but i think their minutes levels will be similar. I think Mutaf is a guy who may struggle on D but could come in and knock down an occasional 3 every now and then similar to Brock Stull in Madison a few years ago. He will certainly play more than Greenlee IMO.

Jelly...I'll believe it when I see it.

Jelly...I'll believe it when I see it.
You also have Mason and Andre Hollins who were very good as freshman and IMO are much better comparisons than Washington. I expect Mashburn to be a much more efficient player and a better decision maker. Won’t be as athletic or have the crazy handle but should be more reliable.

I’m not expecting Ihnen to play any 3 this year but I’m not 100% convinced that Mutaf doesn’t get a few minutes a night regularly. 7-8 minutes a night, similar to the minutes Hurt got over his career. Not saying that they are similar players but i think their minutes levels will be similar. I think Mutaf is a guy who may struggle on D but could come in and knock down an occasional 3 every now and then similar to Brock Stull in Madison a few years ago. He will certainly play more than Greenlee IMO.
Except, we have more guys fighting for playing time. Richard has always had a short bench. Can he or will he adapt to play 9 or 10 guys?
Carr, Gabe, Gach, Johnson, Robbins and
Mashburn, Ihnen, Tre, Omersa, Mutaf and Curry would make 11.
Who aren’t you giving minutes out of those guys?
Gonna be interesting to see the minutes doled out.

Except, we have more guys fighting for playing time. Richard has always had a short bench. Can he or will he adapt to play 9 or 10 guys?
If Curry is healthy than Omersa has a tough time getting minutes unless he had a big offseason. Mutaf might be the other- no clue on him.

Omersa. I’m not expecting him to play over Johnson at Ihnen at PF and at center I think Curry will back up Liam and even if Curry gets hurt I think Mitchell plays before Omersa at the 5.

With Mutaf, I think you could see him backing up Gabe while Mashburn primarily spells Carr and Tre spells Gach.

You and I thought last years was good too. I still do, but I do think this one is better. I'm hoping your views on Mashburn defensively are correct. If this team defends, they will be top 6. If they don't they will be in the 9-12 spot
Really, really hope they do.

Omersa. I’m not expecting him to play over Johnson at Ihnen at PF and at center I think Curry will back up Liam and even if Curry gets hurt I think Mitchell plays before Omersa at the 5.

With Mutaf, I think you could see him backing up Gabe while Mashburn primarily spells Carr and Tre spells Gach.
I agree, but I could see Omersa getting thrown in for a defensive energy guy once every few games for 3-4 minutes.
And there’s always foul trouble.

I agree, but I could see Omersa getting thrown in for a defensive energy guy once every few games for 3-4 minutes.
And there’s always foul trouble.

And covid this year. It's going to be really interesting how that plays out. Depth may even be more of a premium or maybe they just cancel the games? I do agree with SON that Pitino has had a short bench short of his first season. It will be interesting to see if he continues with that or adjusts.

I think Ihnen plays a good share of minutes at the 3 this year myself. You know at some point foul trouble will require it and if he has improved his outside game more it's to his benefit and ours to use his size and length at that position.

My guess is Freeman would seem more time at the five than Mitchell.

Yea, I think people are underestimating how raw and thin Mitchell is.

My guess is he's the 13th man this season and rarely sees the floor.

If he is truly a top 150 recruit with several P5 offers which according to Rivals and 247, he is, I expect him to get some run if we have injuries or foul trouble. It's rare for a guy like that to be the 13th man even if they are a little raw. With Freeman, I need to see it to believe and until proven otherwise, I'm not expecting him to ever be a contributor, especially with guys like Thompson and Pohto coming in next year.

I think people look at Mitchell and only see how skinny he is and automatically assume he is raw and will take years to develop which is shallow analysis. At 190, he is the same size at Chet Holmgren who is 3 inches taller and the #1 player in the country and would be one of the best centers in the country if he were in college right now. Brandon Ingram at Duke was also only 190 at 6-9 and was a first team All ACC guy as a freshman. Louisville center Anas Osama Mahmoud was 7-0, 200 as a true freshman so about the same thickness at Mitchell and got 8 minutes a game playing behind better players than we have.

Now obviously Mitchell is nowhere near as talented as Holmgren or Brandon Ingram but I think it's shallow analysis to just look at his skinny frame and automatically assume he won't play this year and is too raw. He can still be a solid player off the bench even if he is rail thin and I think his length can be an asset down low. Ihnen was very disruptive, blocked shots, got offensive rebounds and got deflections playing the 5 when he got in the second half of last season and I thought he should have been starting over Alihan. Mitchell is even a little longer than Ihnen so I think he can get the occasional block, deflection or offensive rebound due to his length that Freeman or Omersa wouldn't be able to get you.

I think Ihnen plays a good share of minutes at the 3 this year myself. You know at some point foul trouble will require it and if he has improved his outside game more it's to his benefit and ours to use his size and length at that position.
I'd be surprised if Ihnen plays any 3 this year on a regular basis. He may have some semblance of a permitter game but he willl only play the 3 if he can prove he is quick enough to guard opposing 3's. Do we trust him to guard players like Weiskamp, Aron Henry, Franz Wagner, Chaundee Brown and Justice Sueing?

Also his length playing down low was such an asset, getting blocks, offensive rebounds and contesting shots and the farther away he plays from the basket, the less he'll be able to utilize that length. He's more valuable as a 4 that can provide a mismatch and even a 5 than he would be a 3 this year IMO and Pitino, with the exception of Coffey, doesn't strike me as someone who would opt to put a player like Ihnen at the 3 and would rather play a small, more nimble lineup.

Top Bottom