Pitino Meltdown

I don't think it is a problem that he was yelling at someone, I am just curious what an assistant coach could have done to make him that mad when his players were the one's making high school JV mistakes to hand away another game.

I did not see it, I honestly think I was on the floor in the fetal position by then. Anyone have the video?

I turned the game off when Mich went up by four, so I missed the outburst. Prior to this thread I had been prepared comment that Pitino seemed considerably calmer with his players on the sideline this year than last and I thought he deserved praise for that. Nothing good can come from a 32 year old second year HC going off on his assistant in public. You can make a case that Izzo would have earned the right to get cut some slack for a bonehead move like that. Richard isn't there yet. This is his team. The problems that we are seeing on the floor are on him, not Ben Johnson. Whatever was bothering him should have been handled privately. This is a time to try to generate some confidence, not scream at assistant coaches in public.

I turned the game off when Mich went up by four, so I missed the outburst. Prior to this thread I had been prepared comment that Pitino seemed considerably calmer with his players on the sideline this year than last and I thought he deserved praise for that. Nothing good can come from a 32 year old second year HC going off on his assistant in public. You can make a case that Izzo would have earned the right to get cut some slack for a bonehead move like that. Richard isn't there yet. This is his team. The problems that we are seeing on the floor are on him, not Ben Johnson. Whatever was bothering him should have been handled privately. This is a time to try to generate some confidence, not scream at assistant coaches in public.

+1

I taped the game so I am going to have to go back and look at this. It sounds like people can verify that Pitino blew his top and did it in the direction of Ben Johnson. Does anyone really know what he said? Is there a possibility that Pitino said something like "what the blank are we coaching these guys to do?"- or something along the lines of shared frustrations or was it directed as a shot at Johnson in particular?

I am very optimistic about this coach and his potential. Still, this is a critical spot in his young career. Does he being to lose the team at this point or is he able to rally the team? Until this past few weeks I felt he had the momentum all going in the right direction for the long term. This is a bump in the road.

Agree. It was bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man.

FWIW, I've seen Pitino get on Ben's case before, during games and just after games. It's made me wonder whether Ben is some sort of whipping boy or red-headed stepchild. I think he's a talented coach that they need to treat well and keep.

Agree. It was bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man.

Jamiche expressed it much better than I did. That's all I was trying to say. I don't like a head coach publically dressing down an assistant coach. Best done behind closed doors, but I have no problem with those who think it's no big deal. Simply disagree.

I never said I was opposed to a head coach ripping into one of his players on the sidelines. That is an every day occurrence. It was under Tubby, as it is under guys like Izzo and Pitino & hundreds of other coaches. In my opinion -- and that's all it is, an opinion -- there's a significant difference between going after one of your assistants and going after one of your players for all the world to see.

FWIW, I've seen Pitino get on Ben's case before, during games and just after games. It's made me wonder whether Ben is some sort of whipping boy or red-headed stepchild. I think he's a talented coach that they need to treat well and keep.

Or he is being hard on Ben like his dad and Billy Donovan were harder on him because they thought he had potential. Maybe this is richard's way of Holding Ben to a higher standard.

It seams a lot of people on here are ready to get rid of Pitino based on their comments the last few days. People are starting the process by painting him in a negative light without knowing what was said, or many people, even seeing the incident at all!!! without a video posted here I honestly don't remember this incident at all and I was watching the game the whole time!

Or he is being hard on Ben like his dad and Billy Donovan were harder on him because they thought he had potential. Maybe this is richard's way of Holding Ben to a higher standard.

It seams a lot of people on here are ready to get rid of Pitino based on their comments the last few days. People are starting the process by painting him in a negative light without knowing what was said, or many people, even seeing the incident at all!!! without a video posted here I honestly don't remember this incident at all and I was watching the game the whole time!

That's what happens when you lose. We are mad at Lucia for losing hockey games, not for being stoic on the bench. We are mad at Pitino for losing basketball games, not for blowing up at Ben Johnson. If we were 4-0 in B1G play, the fire that Pitino showed yelling at Johnson would be the fire that has us winning. If Pitino wants to be painted in a positive light, win some B1G games and get the team where they need to be emotionally and mentally to finish games.

Disagreeing with how Pitino handled a situation doesn't necessarily mean someone wants to get rid of him. Not the case at all here. He is human, just like the rest of us, and capable of doing something you disagree with?

Also possible different people respond to different forms of criticism/interaction. Some people respond better when you yell and some when you give me a big ole hug and some candy. It is Pitino's job to feel out who handles what form best and act accordingly.

Jamiche expressed it much better than I did. That's all I was trying to say. I don't like a head coach publically dressing down an assistant coach. Best done behind closed doors, but I have no problem with those who think it's no big deal. Simply disagree.

I never said I was opposed to a head coach ripping into one of his players on the sidelines. That is an every day occurrence. It was under Tubby, as it is under guys like Izzo and Pitino & hundreds of other coaches. In my opinion -- and that's all it is, an opinion -- there's a significant difference between going after one of your assistants and going after one of your players for all the world to see.

SS- does anyone actually know what he said? I gather that it had the appearance of a public dressing down - but was it? I am not arguing with you- I am just wondering if we really know what the content is. If he was railing on Ben personally then I agree- he should not have.

No, we don't know what was said. That's why I think a few of us are curious what was said. I say that understanding why Pitino says that's between him and Johnson (or whichever coach it was). That's Pitino's prerogative to say it's none of our business.

With the information I have (what my eyes saw), am making a judgment that the conversation was not particularly lovey-dovey toward the assistant. It appeared very personal. Have watched enough games over the years in person and on TV) to say seeing that (public undressing of an assistant. ... again, my interpretation) was a rarity. Others have a different view of what they saw, or what they think Pitino said to the assistant, and that's AOK with me.

Another goph-off has been set!!! Get ya popcorn ready

More likely to be a goof-off all things considered. Internet message board feuds are always a disappointment for 3rd parties. I'll try my best to make it viewer friendly! I WILL DELIVER!

Exactly. Refrain from airing your dirty laundry in public especially in the era where those incidents can go viral. This particular incident isn't such a big deal but this sort of thing could become a bigger deal if it becomes a habit.

Our views and prescriptions are prudent, nuanced, and pretty modest. The reason some don't see them that way is because they suffer from bi-polar, 180 degree thinking.

More likely to be a goof-off all things considered. Internet message board feuds are always a disappointment for 3rd parties. I'll try my best to make it viewer friendly! I WILL DELIVER!

Knock yourself out, big boy, if that's what gives you pathetic thrills, but don't expect me to play. Why would I want to play with someone whom I neither like nor respect?

Knock yourself out, big boy, if that's what gives you pathetic thrills, but don't expect me to play. Why would I want to play with someone whom I neither like nor respect?

Well that doesn't seem prudent, nuanced, or pretty modest to me.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Doesn't happen all the time in front of 12,000 people and a regional TV audience.

The "great bob knight" got put on a zero tolerance policy, which he later violated and was fired, for manhandling and choking players. Not quite the same thing as just getting in someone's face...

Where is the HR Department for Gopherhole? My feelings are getting hurt and I need to file a complaint. All this tension between posters is raising my blood pressure too.

Well that doesn't seem prudent, nuanced, or pretty modest to me.

Nope, direct, with absolutely no nuance intended. Appalachians of my era didn't grow up in a culture where toying with people was considered "clever."

He laid into Dan McHale earlier in the year as well during one of the first couple games. I would imagine it's a heat of the moment sort of thing. Ben Johnson is the only one that's owed an apology if there's even a need for one, and I would imagine he got it if he was offended by whatever was said or how it was said.

Pitino was asked about shouting at Ben Johnson. Said it was nothing. Called it high level competitive stuff. Says it happens all the time— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) January 12, 2015

Go Gophers!!

Except that it doesn't happen all the time.

Except that it doesn't happen all the time.

Probably just doesn't happen that you see. It probably happens in basketball during practice or something.

Just like in Hockey coaches swear quite a bit but you don't hear them. I wasn't at all surprised by Mike Yeo's "rant" I was just surprised it ended up on ESPN as a big story.

I think I speak for the vast majority of GopherHolers when I politely request that you and Winasota Gopher SHUT YOUR YAPPERS!

For anyone interested, sounds like Barreiro is going to talk about the Pitino thing in his next segment. ... Now.

Top Bottom